What's new

Please help me choose a pre-packaged system (1 Viewer)

RoohHafza

Auditioning
Real Name
Marstarst
Hi all (sorry for the long post)

I am very new to all of this but I've read around on a few forums and other websites to try and improve my knowledge but for what I want this subject is enormous. So I was hoping you could give me direct suggestion of certain products. I've posted on another website but havent go a reply :( so hopefully you guys can help me out.

I am looking for a surround sound system to go with my TV. I have a very limited budget and will most likely not be upgrading any components and want the system to last for as long as possible maybe at least 5 years.

Initially I was only looking at Panasonic systems (TV is Panasonic) and found the SC-BTT500 which had good reviews, was 5.1 and was around £200. Now its not longer selling. Since then I couldnt find reviews for other Panasonic systems. I realise now that it may not be the ideal to look for same brand. I found many other Sony and LG systems but since then I have learnt that pre-packaged systems are considered better and came across a few brands and have researched their products and prices. I have written below the ones in my price range. I would appreciate if you could recommend me one of these OR recommend a completely different one I have not come across.

TV: Panasonic TX-P50GT30
(3D, THX certified, Headphone x1, HDMI x4, Scart x1, Digital Audio Output, Component Video, CI+, USB x3, Composite Video, Freesat HD LNB, Freeview HD input, a D-Sub PC port, an SD card slot, DLNA certified, PC streaming, Ethernet, Audio: Virtual Surround Sound, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS) I'm not sure what info may be important.

Current connections:
1 Sky+HD box
1 HDD via USB
1 Laptop via HDMI
1 Wii
Not connected but its there:
1 DVD Player (never used)
1 VCR Player (used once a year)

Approximate Room Size: 305cm x 615cm (main seating area is 305cm x 400cm) OR 10ft x 20ft (seating: 10ft x 13ft)

Usage:
Will be used when watching movies mainly (98%). I usually watch movies via the laptop (BD) or via HDD (BR quality, files usually have options for 5.1 audio). I sometimes watch them via Sky and sometimes via Netflix type of subscriptions (either using TV or laptop). Some movies will be 3D.
Last 2% will be for playing music, either streamed/connected from PC or connected via iPod or Android phone.

Does my laptop need any special connections as I want to watch movies from it using surround sound?

Budget: £300 (I know :( )

Packages I have found (increasing price):

Yamaha YHT-199 (£250)
Pioneer HTP-072 (£250)

Yamaha YHT-1810 (£270)
Pioneer MCS-333 (£270)
Pioneer MCS-737 (£270)

Pioneer HTP-073 (£300)
Pioneer MCS-434 (£300)

I also saw 2 Onkyo's which if worth it I will put in extra money:

Onkyo HT-S3505 (£320)
Onkyo HT-S3705 (£320)

Please recommed me something. I'm at the point I just want to buy something already.

Thanks!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Out of those that you listed I would go with the YHT-199. It looks to have the most inputs and outputs on the AVR as well as a sub preout. The onkyo's have a passive sub powered by the AVR as do the Pioneers. This is bad for upgrading later on as you're stuck with a passive sub.

RoohHafza

Auditioning
Real Name
Marstarst
ArmSC said:
Out of those that you listed I would go with the YHT-199. It looks to have the most inputs and outputs on the AVR as well as a sub preout. The onkyo's have a passive sub powered by the AVR as do the Pioneers. This is bad for upgrading later on as you're stuck with a passive sub.
schan1269 said:
Does your laptop have HDMI?And yes. Of those...the 199. AVR powered sub(for me) makes the rest not even worth considering.

Thank you for reading my post and answering - you guys on here are awsome.Yes laptop does.1 HDMI and 1 displayport.

Ok I will look at getting the 199 but I don't think I will be updrading so if that is the case - is it still the best option?Also, anything you know of that you would recommend that isnt on the list? And I am right in saying that these would be better than Sony/LG HTiB options?

Thanks again - really appreciate it. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You may not upgrade in the next year. But next 5 years, sure.The 199 can be upgraded in pieces(in 5 years, another new AVR, keep the speakers). The rest, the AVR and subwoofer would need upgraded together.

RoohHafza

Auditioning
Real Name
Marstarst
schan1269 said:
You may not upgrade in the next year. But next 5 years, sure.The 199 can be upgraded in pieces(in 5 years, another new AVR, keep the speakers). The rest, the AVR and subwoofer would need upgraded together.
I see, that makes sense.

However, I just looked at buying the 199 and I can't find it anymore! Ahh this sucks. I've checked the rest and all are available but:
Pioneer MCS-434 - on back order from a website I'm not too sure about - on Amazon for £350
Onkyo - HT-S3705 - can only find for around £400 now

Out of the rest which would you recommend - sorry! Unless theres another one not in the list you know of?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
See if you can find the 298(last years).I have no idea what the year cycle is in Asia(ours starts in April for audio). But new models might be coming...???

RoohHafza

Auditioning
Real Name
Marstarst
schan1269 said:
See if you can find the 298(last years).I have no idea what the year cycle is in Asia(ours starts in April for audio). But new models might be coming...???
I also found this deal: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pioneervsx329-jbl-cinema-510-full-5-1-system-249-95-richer-sounds-2030762. Is it worth it/ better than the 298? Promise last question.

I'm in the UK and sorry no idea about what month new year starts for audio cycle.

Edit: YHT-298 discontinued and cant find seller. Out of the ones I can get, and the deal mentioned, which one do you think I should go for?

RoohHafza

Auditioning
Real Name
Marstarst
schan1269 said:
That seems a good deal at £250. We don't get that JBL package here in the states(I don't think).But yeah, powered sub at that price...
Cool, thank you so much. I will try get that deal tomorrow, fingers crossed. Just in case I cannot get it (my luck doesnt seem to be so good so far), out of the rest, which should be my backup?

RoohHafza

Auditioning
Real Name
Marstarst
schan1269 said:
The Onkyo 4505. Yes, spend the extra.
Hey. The JBL deal went cold and I can no longer get that. The Onkyo 4505 is definitely my backup if I can't find anything else around £300 (the 4505 is £400).

I'm getting more comfortable with buying different parts now so I was wondering if any of these would cut it? I only need an AV receiver and a speaker package right? I hope I'm not missing something haha.

AV Receiver:
Yamaha RXV375 (£150) (last few to clear, may not be in my store) OR Pioneer VSX329 (£150)

Speaker Package:
Pioneer S-HS100 (£100)
Yamaha NSP40 (£115)
Pioneer SSL100 and Tannoy SFX Sub (£120)
Tannoy SFX 5.1 (£150) - can get store one for £135 with same gurantees as a new one

All of that is within budget - so was wondering if any of those combo's compares to previous stuff you recommended, and which combo would be best (and if they will work together or not)?

I'm going to call and check stock once they are open.

RoohHafza

Auditioning
Real Name
Marstarst
schan1269 said:
I would take the 375. If any of those speaker packages are 6ohm or under...you can't use the Pioneer.
Ive crossed out the ones not availble and the Tannoy SFX is avilable cheaper for the shop floor product.

So the 375 is not available in any stores nearby so looks like I have to go for the Pioneer. All of those speakers are 6ohm or less but the pioneer ssl100 (+ tannoy sub) package.

Does that mean the only option I have is the Pioneer VSX-320 + Pioneer SSL100 + Tannoy SFX Sub?

Also, just to confirm you don't recommend the Yamaha YHT-1810 (because I read it has an active sub)?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
RoohHafza said:
Also, just to confirm you don't recommend the Yamaha YHT-1810 (because I read it has an active sub)?
schan1269 said:
You want an active sub, not passive.If the AVR powers the sub...it is a passive sub.
Sam is right - don't waste your $$ on a system that uses a passive subwoofer.

The best and easiest way to tell the difference is whether or not the subwoofer connects via speaker wire (passive) or coaxial cable/single RCA connection (active).

Look at the back of the unit and see if there's a single RCA connection marked "subwoofer". If so, then it's active. If there are binding posts or clip terminals for the subwoofer, then run away.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
ArmSC said:
I've been saying that since the beginning of this thread LOL.
Indeed... I can just imagine all the regular HTF members forming a Tabernacle Choir-sized chorus and singing out loud things like "passive subwoofers are pointless", "ARC isn't the answer you thought it would be", "No, you can't get new speakers for your HTiB", and "For the love of God, just get a Toslink cable".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks