What's new

In praise of Julie Kirgo (1 Viewer)

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
One of the many joys with each Twilight Time release is reading the thoughtful, brilliant, and insightful essays of Julie Kirgo. What a pleasure to not only have a great film in pristine condition, but to read a great critic's thoughts. Kudos to Twilight Time for continuing to be one of the best.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
ljgranberry said:
One of the many joys with each Twilight Time release is reading the thoughtful, brilliant, and insightful essays of Julie Kirgo. What a pleasure to not only have a great film in pristine condition, but to read a great critic's thoughts. Kudos to Twilight Time for continuing to be one of the best.
Could not agree more!

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ljgranberry said:
Same here, I really enjoy her work and hope it continues for all of their releases.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Her essays often make the difference in my decision to buy on titles for which I have marginal interest, like Audrey Rose. I'm really looking forward to what she has to say about Judgement at Nuremberg. My copy is currently at my local post office for delivery as soon as today.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Hear, Hear!

(And it seems I just went a little crazy with the "Like" buttons.) :)

It was wonderful having the opportunity to meet Julie, along with Nick and their associates, a couple of years ago. They are, collectively, one of our greatest resources, and a source of continuing knowledge and inspiration when it comes to the good things in life we treasure here.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Agree completely. I have a half dozen or so (with another half dozen in my cart currently) TT releases and they are all well done. Julie's liner notes are excellent and the interaction that Nick & Julie and crew have with their consumers on FB is much appreciated. They tell people thank you for buying the products and are very open and honest in their responses. It doesn't get much better than that.

I will continue to support TT as my finances allow.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I guess I shall be the lone dissenter. I haven't been too impressed by the booklet writings. Oh well.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
bgart13 said:
I guess I shall be the lone dissenter. I haven't been too impressed by the booklet writings. Oh well.
Not to be too negative, but I agree. However, I'm willing to give her and those that like her essays the benefit of the doubt and assume most of the TT releases I've picked up do not correspond to her areas of expertise.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wanted to post this picture of Julie Kirgo so everyone could see the
individual that this thread honors....

34607771-5EDA-4A1C-B40E-78CBF424D8FF.jpeg

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
When Ms. Kirgo & Nick Redmond began releasing limited edition BD's in the manner which they did a few years back, I was skeptical as to whether it would work, not only for serious collectors such as those here at HTF, but as an overall business model in the ever-shrinking physical-media catalog market...I'm happy and grateful to have been proven wrong by them on BOTH counts...and have been a loyal customer for their products since their release of "The Robe" from the film vaults of 20th Century Fox... :cheers:

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm not usually into extras, but even I can appreciate that Twilight Time has the right formula for providing genuinely useful extras: primarily Ms. Kirgo's intelligent essays in a neat booklet that fits inside the case, and isolated scores. Neither of these ruins the illusion of a movie, the essays in particular avoiding the problem of getting bogged down in pretentious overanalysis, the detailing of irrelevant production minutiae, and the often self-serving commentary by cast and crew. Well done to Julie, Nick and the rest of the TT team :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Julie's essays are getting better all the time. She obviously does her homework. The ones I have recently read from WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING and FLAMING STAR are spot-on.

Nick Redman's commentaries with or without her are also quite delightful. TT is going way out of its way to provide us with important added-value material, and, honestly, I look forward to TT's bi-monthly announcements even more than I do the monthly Criterion's.

Thanks so much for your work, TT!!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I just listened to Birdman of Alcatraz's commentary where Nick mentions that Julie is becoming something of a celebrity in certain circles. I can't imagine to what he's referring! ;)

Yet another great commentary. I love her gentle jabs at fellow commentator Paul Seydor's mild criticism of the film and her idol, Burt Lancaster.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Thanks all, especially to IjGranberry, for starting a thread about the lovely Julie. She really is a terrific writer, and one of the best film essayists in the business -- we at TT are very lucky to have her. Thanks too, for the kind words about the commentary tracks - it gives us the fortitude to carry on. Your wonderful support is truly appreciated.

All best,

Nick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks