What's new

Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage Charlie Brown coming in 2015! (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
The movie Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown will finally be released on DVD on February 10, 2015, and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown is scheduled for October 2015.

These films have been a long time coming!

I see that this was also mentioned in the TV section, but since these are theatrical films I think a thread belongs here too.

Source: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Charlie-Brown-Peanuts-Specials-Race-For-Your-Life-Charlie-Brown/20477

As mentioned in the other thread, it would be nice to have the epilogue for Bon Voyage included, What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown? but since that's owned by Warner Bros, it's unlikely.

race-for-your-life-charlie-brown-movie-poster-1977-1020193366.jpg

Preliminary DVD cover:

RaceForYourLifeCharlieBrown.jpg

bon-voyage-charlie-brown-movie-poster-1980-1020192811.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think they will be the first two films were and when these showed on HDNET Movies they were widescreen and I'm sure they will be using the same masters.
DeWilson said:
Let's hope both are widescreen and not P&S.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
First off, I'm sold! This is great news, and glad it is finally coming out.

But...

It's released in 2015, and no Blu-ray?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
DeWilson said:
If it's like the first two films, the 4:3 presentation isn't pan & scan. They matted the frame for its widescreen theatrical presentation (And DVD releases). Going to 4:3 actually gained picture since the animators prepared for tv by illustrating the areas out of the widescreen area, they didn't lop anything off.

That's the opposite of what happens with pan & scan where areas of the picture that were intended to be shown and were seen by theater audiences, were lopped off due to this obsession that continues to this day by some where aspect ratio doesn't matter, filling every inch of screen real estate always takes precedence no matter what.

I fully respect and don't altogether disagree with those that want these presented as seen by theater audiences decades ago. But unlike pan & scan television presentations where it's obviously wrong, I think a full screen option is also appropriate for these.

I'm hoping for both (And could see myself actually taking advantage of both since I watch DVD's both on my HDTV and on a nice 4:3 Trinitron from time to time).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good plan Leo.
While its no secret I only care about the widescreen version. If they released both versions it would make everyone happy.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sadly, despite the relatively short length of these movies and other movies like Born Free including both versions on the same disc to satisfy both the purists like ourselves and the old pan & scan crowd, it probably makes too much sense in this instance to expect.

But hopefully someone is listening.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Any updated specs on Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown? We are getting close to the release date, and I was hoping for additional information.

But I'm kidding myself. Let's face it, I am going to buy it regardless of the aspect ratio or what extras come with it.

-Rodney

WadeM

Supporting Actor
It's not supposed to have any extras, and I can't imagine that it will be anything other than the theatrical aspect ratio, just like Snoopy Come Home and A Boy Named Charlie Brown. Paramount certainly won't go out of their way to do anything special with this release.

I'm glad this thread popped back up since I actually forgot about this release coming in a few days.

They updated the cover art, thankfully. Much more exciting:

91lMX4MWHEL._SL1500_.jpg

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
DVDDizzy has a decent review of this release (Which I'm not affiliated with in any way, but for anyone such as myself that has yet to place their order for this DVD, it helps satisfy your curiosity at the very least).

http://www.dvdizzy.com/raceforyourlife.html

Note that it's presented in 16:9, despite apparently 1.85:1 being its original OAR according to that review. No open matte 4:3 presentation as an option.

And here's Paramount's theatrical trailer that they've uploaded to YouTube to promote this release, which is also the sole bonus feature on the DVD.

Looking forward to adding the final movie later this year (And hopefully its accompanying follow-up tv special that is as of yet unreleased on DVD).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
I guess the term "P&S" usually applies to 4:3 versions of "wider" aspect ratios like 2.35:1. Often 4:3 versions of 1.85:1 films are open matte. Or just "cropped".

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
By 16:9 I'm assuming you mean 1.75:1 instead of the theatrical 1.85:1. If so I can live with that compromise similar to Disney now releasing their 60's and 70's animated and live action films in 1.66:1 instead of the 1.75:1 theatrical.

LeoA said:
DVDDizzy has a decent review of this release (Which I'm not affiliated with in any way, but for anyone such as myself that has yet to place their order for this DVD, it helps satisfy your curiosity at the very least).

Note that it's presented in 16:9, despite apparently 1.85:1 being its original OAR according to that review. No open matte 4:3 presentation as an option.

And here's Paramount's theatrical trailer that they've uploaded to YouTube to promote this release, which is also the sole bonus feature on the DVD.

Looking forward to adding the final movie later this year (And hopefully its accompanying follow-up tv special that is as of yet unreleased on DVD).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone here viewed this DVD yet? There is one review on Amazon that claims there is a high Frequency hiss in the soundtrack that occurs whenever someone speaks. The above review did not mention it so I'm wondering if its valid. Very disappointing if true after waiting 17 years for this to be released on DVD.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil. I will be getting it either way just hoping its not true and just something in someones Home Theater setup.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
LeoA said:

The reviewer's is spot on about the release being 10-15 years too late. It's mind boggling, but I'm glad to have it.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Yeah, I'm puzzled as well that it has taken this long. But better late than never, as you said.

If Bon Voyage Charlie Brown arrives with the follow-up tv special (Which I'm not holding my breath for, since I suspect the tv special sadly went with the rest and would require Paramount and Warner Brothers to actually cooperate), I'll pretty much be satisfied. Everything else absent as of now, I'd basically only get if it ever happens because I have the rest and may as well keep things complete.

We're only missing at this point, several documentaries, a musical, five weak tv specials, and the low point of the Peanuts filmography with It's the Girl in the Red Truck (Until perhaps usurped by this upcoming movie, which at least has served as the impetus to get these last two movies out at long last even if it stinks).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I should just edit this in, but that post is long enough. I was just browsing Wal-Mart's website, seeing if my local store has this one in stock. In the suggested items, I see standalone releases for A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home with matching styling as this, along with a new double pack with similar styling.

I knew these were planned, but didn't know when they were due. Has anyone bought either one? Just a rerelease, or did they go back and redo them with a newer transfer?

k2-_a249f58e-ce19-4e9b-95cd-a4c9f7087dd0.v1.jpg

k2-_9ad7d458-954e-4bf4-8d38-b7dd32246515.v1.jpg

k2-_869b341f-a75f-4037-9e5b-f8b3626d0579.v1.jpg

Note that the double pack, at least at this retailer, is only $3 more than either one as a standalone ($13, instead of $10 each). If money wasn't so tight, I'd cross my fingers and take a chance.

But hopefully someone else will be the Home Theater Forum's guinea pig.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
LeoA said:
We're only missing at this point, several documentaries, a musical, five weak tv specials, and the low point of the Peanuts filmography with It's the Girl in the Red Truck (Until perhaps usurped by this upcoming movie, which at least has served as the impetus to get these last two movies out at long last even if it stinks).

I didn't even realize that. WB animation's convoluted double dipping release strategies drive me crazy. If they hadn't released so many double dips, then they could have had all of the specials out by now easily. A lot of us are/were waiting for Peanuts 1980s-1990s Collection to continue where the 1960s & 1970s collections left off to have a nice complete collection.

In order to get the specials that I currently don't have I need to buy 7 DVD releases that contain 11 double dips...wow..talk about milking the consumer. :eek: Imagine if they had replaced those 11 double dips with what hadn't been released yet. Because of this strategy of theirs, I'll keep holding off until they're all available so that I can get a better view of their end game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks