What's new

MASH-The Complete Series, 69.99 till Midnight 11/10/14 (1 Viewer)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I don't understand. What box do you have and what's wrong with the discs in it compared to the discs in this set?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
At least one of mine was scratched so badly it won't even play correctly and I bet half of them were loose when I first opened it. Terrible packaging job.

Wish this was what I had, instead.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
questrider said:
I don't understand. What box do you have and what's wrong with the discs in it compared to the discs in this set?
The Medicines & Martinis box. It looks nice, but I had to return one that was destroyed. The second one looked better, but still had scratches and marks on the discs. I figured it might be the best I would get out of that so I kept it. After 3 season I've had no problems, still crossing fingers. I also have Brady Bunch shag carpet box and Wild Wild West box. ... I don't have enough fingers to keep crossing.

These individual season sets will be way better.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My disc that locks up was in the middle of season 6 (The episode "The M*A*S*H Olympics"). Thought I was safely in the clear at that point until that happened.

But by the time I got there after I got in the mood to sit down and watch it straight through instead of just popping in a random disc here and there to watch an episode occasionally, too much time had passed to contact the retailer it was purchased from (A pitfall when we're dealing with complete series releases and a large number of discs like this).

And Fox wasn't willing to replace this disc, so I'll be stuck buying a $10 or so season set eventually to replace it. And it ruined my fun since I had been enjoying watching it for weeks and haven't gone back since to check out any subsequent discs.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ absolutely, it bums me out too with these sets. I mean, Season 3? I would normally be on 6 or 7. It's MASH! :( I haven't even start Wild Wild West yet. I didn't even look through all the discs. The few I looked at were all lightly scratched. I'll bet every set is like that.

Oh! And I remembered I was on Season 5 before I hit a bad one with Twilight Zone. :( I still need to pick up a new one of those. Also, I Love Lucy the heart box set, another I've not gone far in for these same reasons, I hit one in season 1 but it was too late. I picked up a new season 1 at Wally World for $10. Well worth that... I should really continue on with ILL. so much goodness there. I can buy new seasons as I hit bad discs! Worth it!

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Okay, gotcha. I thought maybe the discs were different in the box set than these individual season discs. Basically it's that the box set is shoddily constructed and stores the discs in cardboard sliders which causes scratches. Didn't the box set come with a bonus disc of extras too? In the end, at today's special price this is the way to get the complete series? I'm guessing that bonus disc of extras isn't really all that worth it?

I already own the first three seasons as I have always said those are the only seasons that matter. Once Henry and Trapper left, the series lost its silliness and definitely took a slight left turn with Potter and B.J. Then by the time Frank and Radar leave it really veers off the tracks into dramaland. (I've always facetiously called those last few seasons The Alan Alda Morality ½ Hour.) However, at today's special price I'm finding it difficult to not get the whole set. Or it could be the fever I'm experiencing today that is skewing my judgment!

Another thing while I'm rambling: these were some of the first full season DVDs to come out on the market a decade or so ago and the one thing that always bothered me with the authoring was that there was no "Play All" or "Next Episode" on the discs. You always had to back out of two menus to get to the next episode. Still, I loved watching the episodes without the laugh track and thus why I'm seriously contemplating ordering this set today. I was always waiting for a good price on the box set — or holding out hope of a new HD re-scan for a blu-ray release since these were shot on film — but reading the comments here today about the disc problems it seems like I would do better to skip purchasing it to have the bonus disc and go for this individual seasons set.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The bonus discs belatedly came out on the "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" collection along with the series finale (Which stinks and is only worth watching for the last, sad, two minutes... despite it being complete nonsense how they all are finding their own ways home as if the US Army is leaving that task completely up to each of them to figure out).

Doesn't look like that set is included here, but it's easily rectified for $10 or so and you'll have a complete collection with pristine discs, superior packaging, and for a lot less than those that went with the official complete set paid.

And they'd fit on your DVD shelf...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MASH was three different shows... the first four seasons were a sitcom. Seasons 5-7 were a sitcom with some dramatic elements. Seasons 8-11 were a drama with some comedy elements.

As for the DVDs... I couldn't watch the show anymore without the option to turn the laugh track off. Best bonus feature ever,

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I had the Martinis set but sold it when I realized that MASH is not a series that generates much rewatch factor with me any longer (I had gotten it a time when there was more a sense of some kind of obligation to get it), and not even a price like that could tempt me to go back and get it all over again with more shelf consuming packaging.I will admit I do find the timing of this deal amusing in that it will come at the exact moment that anyone who has pre-ordered the Batman set will be having their orders charged at last.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Anytime there is questionable packaging, I carefully remove the discs and if they're ok, I transfer them to safe binders. Then I store the packaging away. Problem solved. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks