What's new

Single SVS PC13 Ultra vs Two PC 2000's (1 Viewer)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For the first time in many years I am beginning to change some of my home theater gear. It is time to retire my old SVS PB12 Ultra/2 (going to a new home soon). I am looking at either replacing it with the PC13 or getting 2 PC 2000's.

For reference, The Ultra/2 was big enough to shake my entire house, not just my 22'x18' theater room. It was WAY overkill - but sooooo worth it. :D I am pretty sure that even one of the PC 2000's would deliver acceptable performance, but I think anything worth doing is worth overdoing. So its either 2 of the 2000's or one of the PC13's.

Both options fit in my budget nicely. I am an SVS fan and will most likely stick with the brand (unless there is a REALLY COMPELLING reason to switch).

Also, I am still rocking my original Axiom M60's and QS8's. I did recently replace my VP150 center with a VP100 due to size constraints on my new (but much better) TV stand. And I even still own my old Onkyo SR-705.

Thoughts?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks Sam, I don't run the M60's that low - my amp is not up to snuff for that. Plus it doesn't work as well in my room. I found that 60-80hz works out best. Now the receiver is on the list of things I would like to upgrade but the budget is not there right now (still have a son in college :cool:).

Dave, I've been a fan of SVS for some time but it looks like the company has changed dramatically. I was very surprised when I was poking around the website today. Plus it looks like a former owner has re-appeared here recently. I'll give his new company a look too.

I will probably be getting the new sub(s) in the next couple weeks. I hope to use part of my 2 weeks off over Christmas to refresh the old theater.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your 705 has preouts. The Onkyo M282 was recently discontinued. It was already a bargain before...Or look for an old Hafler. Lots of people on fleabay rehabbing them for resale.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, they've gone through some significant product changes the past five years. The killed off both the low and medium lines (including my beloved MTS series) and launched the ultra line. And just recently launched a new entry line. And there's all the sealed cube subs they've been adding.And we've seen Tom V posting again. What's his new company? I don't know anything about that.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
schan1269 said:
If you run the M60 to 40hz, I'd go with the one 13Ultra.
I was curious about your response. I currently have the 13 running with Paradigm 100 V5s and it is set at 80. The V5s are hooked up to an external 2 ch amp which is 250 watts per channel. I have it set at 80 since the 4 surrounds and center are set at 80 also (although the center is full range as well). Would you recommend my setting for the mains to be set at 40 and if so, why? Since the center is full ranged, should I set that to 40? I should note that I have the center port on the 13 plugged and the control on the sub set accordingly. I appreciate your opinion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What AVR/prepro are you using?I set my theatres that way. My 3 main all have tower main and surround...with all towers set accordingly.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Keep in mind there is much more to setting your crossover than just the specs the speaker manufacturer suggest. Most of the time the specs are very 'optimistic' and have very little bearing your your room (the room makes a HUGE difference in the sound and performance of speakers). For example, while the Axiom M60's 'can' go lower than 80 Hz, in MY ROOM and with MY equipment, they do not perform as well.

The best bet is to measure in your room either using some automated setup (like Audessey) or using a sound pressure meter. It takes time and patience to get it right. This is why folks like THX recommend setting everything at 80 Hz and forget about it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
David Willow said:
Keep in mind there is much more to setting your crossover than just the specs the speaker manufacturer suggest. Most of the time the specs are very 'optimistic' and have very little bearing your your room (the room makes a HUGE difference in the sound and performance of speakers). For example, while the Axiom M60's 'can' go lower than 80 Hz, in MY ROOM and with MY equipment, they do not perform as well. The best bet is to measure in your room either using some automated setup (like Audessey) or using a sound pressure meter. It takes time and patience to get it right. This is why folks like THX recommend setting everything at 80 Hz and forget about it.
THX has zero bearing on...SACD DVD-ABD AudioAnd, again...Watch Underworld:Awakening, Master and Commander, The Guillotines and/or Immortal Beloved with full range speakers in the main 4/6 positions...If your speakers go there, and your AVR has the capacity to not upchuck its guts...(The 4311 more than handles this.)(I frequently listen to movies in Direct, sometimes even Pure Direct. Why? Cause movies that actually use the full 192...I don't want bass management mucking it down to 96)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For music I agree. In fact, music is the reason I chose the M60's over the M22 bookshelf speakers. When I listen to records I generally turn on 'pure mode' and have only the 2 mains produce the sound. Since there is no real template for music like there is for movies, getting the sound perfect for many different recordings is almost impossible. Hence the big mains and pure audio...

FWIW, I am going to order either this weekend or on Monday. My goal is to have the new sub(s) by Christmas. I am still on the fence but knowing that my Ultra/2 is overkill, I'm leaning towards 2 subs to help even the bass out a bit.

Of course I really like overkill.

I'm still on the fence. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Popcornbag.gif

I'm enjoying your journey, David. Thanks!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam, this is your fault. You made me think about my ancient AVR. I owe you a beer (I think I can still afford that). :D
Thank you, your order has been placed.An email confirmation has been sent to you. New! Sign up for delivery updates by text for this and future orders.
Order Number: xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx
[*]Denon AVR-X4000 7.2-Channel 4K Ultra HD Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay will be shipped to David Willow by Amazon.com.
Estimated delivery: Nov. 18, 2014 - Nov. 22, 2014
[/list]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FWIW, David...I'm going to have a Denon AVR X-2000 under my Christmas tree this year.

I just ordered mine a couple weeks ago.

So now you've REALLY got my attention. :biggrin:

But I'm only using an SVS PB1000.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
OK- I was "almost" ready to pull the trigger when I was reminded that I have kitties. Now they don't normally bother any of the furniture since I have many well placed scratching posts, but when I look at the SVS cylinder subs they look very inviting to scratch.

So now I'm looking at the PB-2000's as well. My goal with the cylinder was to save space since my room is somewhat limited. The PB-2000 isn't that much bigger but I believe the PC-2000's perform slightly better.

I am going to decide this week. I mean it. :D

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nice Mike. Congrats. I know a few folks that love Denon.

I was going to go with Onkyo since that is what I'm most familiar with, but the price of the Denon was just too good to pass up. I love it when there are so many of last year's model left over. Save big $$$

Actually, who am I kidding. I wasn't going to go with "anyone" until later next year. I better stop now while I am still allowed to sleep in my bed. ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
David Willow said:
OK- I was "almost" ready to pull the trigger when I was reminded that I have kitties. Now they don't normally bother any of the furniture since I have many well placed scratching posts, but when I look at the SVS cylinder subs they look very inviting to scratch.

So now I'm looking at the PB-2000's as well. My goal with the cylinder was to save space since my room is somewhat limited. The PB-2000 isn't that much bigger but I believe the PC-2000's perform slightly better.

I am going to decide this week. I mean it. :D
My cats greatly appreciate any new furniture I buy for them to scratch on. But they've ignored the SVS cylinder sub from day one. The only interaction was a brief flirtation with hanging out on top. But that didn't last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks