What's new

International La frusta e il corpo (The Whip and the Body) (1963); Odeon UK Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
I watched the new Odeon UK Blu-ray of the italian, gothic, horror movie La frusta e il corpo (The Whip and the Body) (1963), directed by Mario Bava.

To me the colors doesn't look right. Compared to the old VCI US release which used a another print of the film (don't know which), this UK Blu uses a french print.

The UK transfer, to my eyes, doesn't look too dark. It's the colors which, again, seems wrong.

The colors aren't as distinctive and strong as on the old VCI DVD.
Maybe they, should've used that print instead as the source.

Don't get me wrong. The print used on the Blu is very sharp and gorgeous,
with lovely scenes of light and shadow. But the colors should be stronger and more distinctive (like in the scenes where there's red, blue and green lighting on the walls.)

As for audio options you get english, italian and french.
Unfortunately, there's no subtitles for neither the more atmospheric italian dub, nor the french one.

Bonus material:
There's an amusing and interesting video piece in which Christopher Lee speaks of his life and career
+
a video piece where author Jonathan Rigby speaks of Italian horror cinema and it's influences. And he discusses Lee's horror career both in the UK and especially in Italia.
Rigby speaks very well and natural. He seems to know the history of film. (He's not like the US talking heads who usually, to me, seem overly excited about whatever they're discussing.)
He remains calm and natural. I was very pleased with this bonus.

A new audio commentary by Bava expert Tim Lucas is also included.

When it comes to region coding it says on the back "Region Codes: All".

41195.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks