What's new

International The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1 Viewer)

westham

Grip
Real Name
Michael
One of my all-time favourites is coming to Blu Ray on the 20th November and this one has a 4k restoration by the British Film Institute along with a fair number of extras. BFI releases tend to be without region coding but best to check this first.

The Day the Earth Caught Fire - Amazon

Look out for an early appearance by Michael Caine too!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I think all my BFI movie discs are region coded . The documentaries and other non movie titles they do can be region free but I suspect as the movies are licenced that coding will be a requirement to protect potential international licencing agreements

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
This beauty arrived today . 4K restoration and an incredible set of extras including a 60+ minute onscreen interview with director Val Guest.
But I'm not sure I like the new look to the tinting.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
youworkmen said:
This beauty arrieved today . 4K restoration and an incredible set of extras including a 60+ minute onscreen interview with director Val Guest.
But I'm not sure I like the new look to the tinting.
Why, because it's accurate?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw this film when it first came out about fifty years ago (gulp!) and I've never seen it since. Does it stand the test of time?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
haineshisway said:
Ha, haineshisway spoiling for a fight. Now why would someone dislike something just because it's accurate? I wouldn't know if it's accurate or not, as it was an X release & I was too young to see it in the cinema (& wouldn't remember anyway). I'd like to know how the BFI came by that colour, & just saying that they found a gel is not really good enough, as film printing is not really that straightforward. I'm sure I'll like it, & even if I don't, it's such a small part of the film, it wouldn't spoil it for me. It sounds like it's a great transfer, & I'm looking forward to seeing the Blu-ray.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
EddieLarkin said:
It is region B locked I'm afraid. Though it may be worth going region free for this one as the picture looks amazing:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_63/the_day_the_earth_caught_fire_blu-ray.htm

The BFI did their own 4K tranfser for this one so I wouldn't necessarily bank on it ever appearing across the pond.
I notice this film is part of the COHEN FILM COLLECTION over here so it is possible we will get a Blu-ray. Their transfers have been excellent - apparently they do some themselves, sometimes using one already available like the recent QUEEN MARGOT.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robin9 said:
I saw this film when it first came out about fifty years ago (gulp!) and I've never seen it since. Does it stand the test of time?
Yes.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Not on topic, but why is

[t-quote name="Robin9" post="4170004" timestamp="1416291354"]

appearing in the post above this one? I've seen this a few times today. Is it this way for anyone else?

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
haineshisway said:
Like another poster on this forum who thinks he's clever I find people unable to post properly rather tiresome.
I do not respond to nobodies such as yourself.
Least of all nobodies commenting on a disc they've not even seen

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Billy Batson said:
Ha, haineshisway spoiling for a fight. Now why would someone dislike something just because it's accurate? I wouldn't know if it's accurate or not, as it was an X release & I was too young to see it in the cinema (& wouldn't remember anyway). I'd like to know how the BFI came by that colour, & just saying that they found a gel is not really good enough, as film printing is not really that straightforward. I'm sure I'll like it, & even if I don't, it's such a small part of the film, it wouldn't spoil it for me. It sounds like it's a great transfer, & I'm looking forward to seeing the Blu-ray.
As if Haines has any clue at all whether the tint is accurate anyway. Unlikely he's even seen the disc .
The booklet that accompanies the disc states the remastering includes a "close reproduction of the tinted reels". I've not read the whole booklet but I can't see any reference to a reason why they needed to approximate it rather than having an actual copy to go by. It says the BFI held original 35mm prints but they also were able to borrow the original negatives from Studio Canal aswell as secondary copies . So none of those had tints on them ?
In the days of VHS it was shown by the BBC entirely in B&W.

I preferred the orange of the earlier dvd to the yellow of the Bluray . I'm not sure if Anchor Bay had access to a genuine copy with the original tint on or whether there's is also a "representation"

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Robin9 said:
Definitely - if you're happy to view it as a time capsule clearly happening in the era it was made.
Very sharp dialogue although the performance from the guy who was the genuine editor of the paper at the time is wooden in the extreme.

The booklet features an essay explaining about the intention to show Janet Munro topless while washing her hair and he reckons the scene was shot but removed - but as usual the sequence is intact although we only glimpse her topless via her reflection

As we would expect from a BFI restoration this is a stellar disc with great picture quality . The tint only appears for a few minutes so it's not that important to the general excellence of the disc.

A shame that everybody in it and the director are all no longer with us

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've worked under men precisely like Arthur Christiansen (and in newsrooms just like the one portrayed); no, he can't act in the accepted sense, but he's very true, very real. He can't be anything else.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
John Hodson said:
I've worked under men precisely like Arthur Christiansen (and in newsrooms just like the one portrayed); no, he can't act in the accepted sense, but he's very true, very real. He can't be anything else.
Fair enough.
But since I first saw the film in the 80's his performance bothered me but it was explained away by the fact he wasn't an actor. The delivery of his lines does not sound natural.
Wasn't Bernard Braden a reporter at the time also though ? He comes across very genuine .

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
youworkmen said:
It says the BFI held original 35mm prints but they also were able to borrow the original negatives from Studio Canal aswell as secondary copies . So none of those had tints on them ?
In the days of VHS it was shown by the BBC entirely in B&W.

I preferred the orange of the earlier dvd to the yellow of the Bluray . I'm not sure if Anchor Bay had access to a genuine copy with the original tint on or whether there's is also a "representation"
Yup, the first time I saw it with any tint was the excellent (for its time) Network DVD, & the red colour made sense, but I am warming to the yellow (I've only seen caps so far), as it looks a bit of a sick colour (it reminds me of a bad smog in London in the very early sixties, a sort of dirty yellow - it killed a lot of people). It sounds like it's a great disc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
youworkmen said:
Like another poster on this forum who thinks he's clever I find people unable to post properly rather tiresome.
I do not respond to nobodies such as yourself.
Least of all nobodies commenting on a disc they've not even seen
Even more tiresome is insulting fellow members. Cut it out or there will be loss of membership privileges.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
DaveF said:
Even more tiresome is insulting fellow members. Cut it out or there will be loss of membership privileges.
It isn't really .
Does Haines get special priveleges for being around longer than me? Why can he make stupid comments about discs he's not seen yet I get pulled up for explaining why I don't respond to his ilk. Have you had a word with him about the obnoxious way he conducts himself on this forum ? It's not as if I'm the only person to comment on it but it seems that certain forum members can get away with more than others.
I give respect to those who deserve it and Haines got far more than what he deserved . If you don't like it maybe you can persuade him to post without being such a dick
I know it's a tall order but I'm sure you're the guy who can do it.
And yes I know it's a fatal error to question the almighty moderators but I really don't care.
See you on the next username.
Although if you want to really play fair you can let Brucey boy know he needs to amend his posting technique and just delete this post.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Billy Batson said:
Yup, the first time I saw it with any tint was the excellent (for its time) Network DVD, & the red colour made sense, but I am warming to the yellow (I've only seen caps so far), as it looks a bit of a sick colour (it reminds me of a bad smog in London in the very early sixties, a sort of dirty yellow - it killed a lot of people). It sounds like it's a great disc.

I agree it's likely more accurate but having enjoyed the other tint for more than a decade it came as a bit of a shock.
It's the best classic movie disc I've seen for a long time . Get that Amazon Prime switched on and you'll have it by Thursday.
You won't regret it

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
youworkmen said:
It isn't really .
Does Haines get special priveleges for being around longer than me? Why can he make stupid comments about discs he's not seen yet I get pulled up for explaining why I don't respond to his ilk. Have you had a word with him about the obnoxious way he conducts himself on this forum ? It's not as if I'm the only person to comment on it but it seems that certain forum members can get away with more than others.
I give respect to those who deserve it and Haines got far more than what he deserved . If you don't like it maybe you can persuade him to post without being such a dick
I know it's a tall order but I'm sure you're the guy who can do it.
And yes I know it's a fatal error to question the almighty moderators but I really don't care.
See you on the next username.
What you can do: express your opinions on the topic at hand, whether informed or not. Engage other members in conversation on their opinions. Encourage their interesting and/or informed responses. Point out and correct them when they are wrong or misinformed.

What you can't do: insult other members. If you decide you aren't going to respond to another member: DON'T RESPOND TO THEM! Don't respond to them insultingly and say that you're not going to respond to them (helpful hint: you just responded to them).

What to do if a another member is insulting you or others: Report them. Click the "Report" button at the bottom of their post. That's why I'm in this thread: you were reported for attacking another member. No one reported HainesHisWay for personal attacks.

The unspoken guideline is it's discouraged from publicly arguing with a Moderator over clear rules violations. But you're a new member and I can understand you're uncertain the boundaries expected here. That's cool.

However, in what could have been a reasonable followup for clarification, you double-downed and insulted another member with explicit vulgarity.

So, have a little break from posting at HTF. If you can participate without banal insults, you're welcome to return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks