What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fedora -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

While Billy Wilder's Fedora (1978), has an occasional dream-like quality about it, I found some of the imagery a bit thin.  Don't recall it that way, but possible.

Other than that, and occasional color problems, ie. poor fleshiness and the like, the new Blu-ray courtesy of Olive is a nice affair.

This one should be purchased for the credits alone:

Billy Willder - The Emperor Waltz

I.A.L. Diamond - The Girl From Jones Beach

Miklos Rozsa - The Asphalt Jungle

Gerry Fisher - Interlude

Alexander Trauner - L'affaire est dans lee sac

William Holden - Meet the Stewarts

Henry Fonda - The Swarm

And then there's that narration from Mr. Holden...

A wonderful film, and for the record, I'll take something from Mr. Wilder, un-subtitled, in a foreign language over hundreds of other films.  For those who've not had the pleasure, time to check out his work.

Mention is made that this edition was mastered in 2k from the original camera negative.  A pity.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Torsten Kaiser

Film Restoration & Preservation
Insider
Real Name
Film Restoration & Preservation
Robert Harris said:
While Billy Wilder's Fedora (1978), has an occasional dream-like quality about it, I found some of the imagery a bit thin. Don't recall it that way, but possible.

Other than that, and occasional color problems, ie. poor fleshiness and the like, the new Blu-ray courtesy of Olive is a nice affair.

(...)
(RAH
I could not agree more. I do not recall it that way either, escpecially the various shades and tones leading up to white. A pity, indeed.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't recall what the film looked like on first release (not that it got much of a release) but the picture quality of the Blu-ray looks pretty good to me. I have the German disc which I'm sure looks the same as Olive's version.As a film, the first half or two thirds is OK but then it grinds to a halt when it gets bogged down with too many flashbacks. It was also silly and unnecessary to have Michael York playing himself. Miklos Rozsa was very critical of the film, complaining (in a private interview) that it lacked the wit and style of earlier films he had scored for Wilder. He was also annoyed that his score had been, in his words, "truncated, mutilated and violated" when re-dubbed in Munich. Pointedly he didn't mention the film in his autobiography.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Douglas R said:
. . . . . . It was also silly and unnecessary to have Michael York playing himself.
Yes. I've never understood that. What were Wilder and Diamond thinking? Particularly when Henry Fonda, in a role where playing himself would have made sense, does not play himself!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The incompetence of Marthe Keller's performance severely compromises the film. She's simply not a good enough or compelling enough actress to get us to swallow the far fetched plot. Also, Fedora is a legendary Star of old Hollywood, along the lines of a Marlene Dietrich or Greta Garbo. Keller has all the screen presence of a drink of tepid water. You need a star to play a star. Reputedly, Wilder wanted Faye Dunaway for the role and she's a strong enough actress that she might have pulled it off.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robin9 said:
Yes. I've never understood that. What were Wilder and Diamond thinking? Particularly when Henry Fonda, in a role where playing himself would have made sense, does not play himself!
Actually Henry Fonda does play himself, although fictionally introducing himself as President of AMPAS when presenting Fedora her Oscar. Fedora mentions seeing him in THE GRAPES OF WRATH etc. it all adds to the surreal nature of the film!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Douglas R said:
Actually Henry Fonda does play himself, although fictionally introducing himself as President of AMPAS when presenting Fedora her Oscar. Fedora mentions seeing him in THE GRAPES OF WRATH etc. it all adds to the surreal nature of the film!
You're quite right. That point went right over my head!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thomas T said:
The incompetence of Marthe Keller's performance severely compromises the film. She's simply not a good enough or compelling enough actress to get us to swallow the far fetched plot. Also, Fedora is a legendary Star of old Hollywood, along the lines of a Marlene Dietrich or Greta Garbo. Keller has all the screen presence of a drink of tepid water. You need a star to play a star. Reputedly, Wilder wanted Faye Dunaway for the role and she's a strong enough actress that she might have pulled it off.
I don't find Marthe Keller's performance nearly as bad as that although I agree that she had little star quality.

In her defence I should point out that in the excellent book about Billy Wilder by Charlotte Chandler, Marthe Keller explains that she received no help from Billy Wilder and that she does not understand why he cast her if he didn't like her. She also adds that William Holden did try to help her. (She is one of a long line of people who found William Holden to be a wonderful person)

Charlotte Chandler appends a remark from Billy Wilder which indicates that Marthe Keller's criticism is justified:

Keller had just done Bobby Deerfield and she came on the set with her nose high in the air and said "With Sydney Pollack we rehearsed, and rehearsed and rehearsed." And I said "Okay, then we won't have to rehearse anymore. Let's do the scene."

Witty, clever and unhelpful. Exactly what a young actress, a bit out of her depth, does not need. Marthe Keller was not the only actress to have had reservations about working with Billy Wilder. Both Jean Arthur and Shirley MacLaine were somewhat disenchanted.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This is an odd one in which the underlying theme and tone of the film is the most memorable part. The plot itself is certainly far-fetched, but it does work as sort of a parable of old Hollywood (and possibly Wilder himself) becoming increasingly obsessed with their past legacies than the ever-dimming future. I think the overall framing and structure could have used some work, though

I figured this one was a troubled production in some ways and was very modestly budgeted similarly to Twilight's Last Gleaming. Like Holden's character in the movie, I got the feeling this one just barely got off the ground and for a director like Wilder, was made under less-than ideal conditions with more than a few compromises.

Also, I did appreciate the real Michael York appearing in this, certainly did not expect it. I believe he was probably the biggest star (circa 1978) in this movie.

As for why Marthe Keller was cast, I strongly suspect that it was mandated and set up by the German co-producers. The film always sorta seemed like a half-euro production in both casting and location.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I once met Michael York and I said straight out that he was in two of my all-time favourite movies. 'Oh really? What are they?' he asked. 'One of them is Accident,' I said, 'and the other is Fedora.' He looked a little surprised and then asked me if I needed help. Actually, I made that last bit up but I'm certain he can't have had that many people associate him with Fedora.

Anyway, I'm full of admiration for Mr York agreeing to appear on the outstanding documentary which is on the French Blu-ray. He is clearly unwell at the moment.

I always thought that Mr York was chosen because of the nature of his stardom - he never was a major star like, say, Michael Caine or Jack Nicholson. But he was the sort of star whom a fading star like Fedora might have met on the set of an obviously dreadful, C-list rehash of Lubitsch. That she should become obsessed with him is, in terms of the film's narrative, quite acceptable and makes Mr York's appearance at the 'lying-in-state' all the more poignant.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Saw this for the first time this afternoon. First I have always wanted to see this film due to Billy Wilder and William Holden's talent. I was not disappointed and enjoyed this very weird film. I was pleased with the cinematography and thought was transfer was good. The story is very intriguing and I had refrained from reading any spoilers so I reacted to the few surprises. While it could never stand up to SUNSET BLVD, it certainly can be considered a companion piece and a good double bill. It would have been interesting if Wilder could have gotten Faye Dunaway as the lead role as is reported to be his first choice. I really enjoyed everything about this film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally got around to watching my copy of Fedora tonight. I was not as enamored of the transfer as others have been. I did see it in the theater and didn't remember the milky look to the cinematography that I saw here. Black levels were rather poor, too, I thought.

I had read Crowned Heads before I saw the movie, so none of the twists were surprises for me (and I wish the movie had been a hit so they would have filmed the other three segments), but I did think there was an elegance and sad grace to old Hollywood that Wilder brought to the filming. Keller did seem to be overly shrill, but I thought she did have a few effective moments (accepting the Oscar from Fonda, for example).

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the new UK Blu-ray of FEDORA released by Eureka in their Masters of Cinema series (officially released 26 September). This release includes for the first time anywhere, as an extra, all of the material cut from Billy Wilder's intended original version, prior to studio showings. After the first screening, Lorimar president Lee Rich's first words were "How much are you going to take out Billy?"

Included in the set, is a substantial booklet which includes an article by Rex McGee (Wilder's assistant on the film who also plays the photographer) originally published in American Film cataloging the trials and tribulations of the film - from where the story about the studio screening appears. The deleted scenes total about 12 minutes (courtesy of Rex McGee?). Many of the cuts are extremely brief, sometimes just a word or two; but nothing of significance so far as content was cut. The cutting of a substantial portion of Rozsa's music is of course another matter entirely. The lengthiest cuts are those involving the young Barry when first meeting Fedora in Hollywood and extended scenes with Barry and the hotel manager. Much of the cut material includes Rozsa's music as it was originally intended. The problem with cutting scenes which have already been scored, of course, is that it makes it difficult to re-dub the music for the scenes as cut which no longer fit, which no doubt is why so much of the music ended up being deleted or dialed down.

It's a pity Olive Films couldn't have included the deleted scenes in their version. The Eureka is locked to region B.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have the new UK Blu-ray of FEDORA released by Eureka in their Masters of Cinema series (officially released 26 September). This release includes for the first time anywhere, as an extra, all of the material cut from Billy Wilder's intended original version, prior to studio showings. After the first screening, Lorimar president Lee Rich's first words were "How much are you going to take out Billy?"

Included in the set, is a substantial booklet which includes an article by Rex McGee (Wilder's assistant on the film who also plays the photographer) originally published in American Film cataloging the trials and tribulations of the film - from where the story about the studio screening appears. The deleted scenes total about 12 minutes (courtesy of Rex McGee?). Many of the cuts are extremely brief, sometimes just a word or two; but nothing of significance so far as content was cut. The cutting of a substantial portion of Rozsa's music is of course another matter entirely. The lengthiest cuts are those involving the young Barry when first meeting Fedora in Hollywood and extended scenes with Barry and the hotel manager. Much of the cut material includes Rozsa's music as it was originally intended. The problem with cutting scenes which have already been scored, of course, is that it makes it difficult to re-dub the music for the scenes as cut which no longer fit, which no doubt is why so much of the music ended up being deleted or dialed down.

It's a pity Olive Films couldn't have included the deleted scenes in their version. The Eureka is locked to region B.

Many thanks for that. I'll now double-dip which is something I do very rarely.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

While Billy Wilder's Fedora (1978), has an occasional dream-like quality about it, I found some of the imagery a bit thin.  Don't recall it that way, but possible.

This one should be purchased for the credits alone:

Billy Willder - The Emperor Waltz

I.A.L. Diamond - The Girl From Jones Beach

Miklos Rozsa - The Asphalt Jungle

Gerry Fisher - Interlude

Alexander Trauner - L'affaire est dans lee sac

William Holden - Meet the Stewarts

Henry Fonda - The Swarm

And then there's that narration from Mr. Holden...

A wonderful film, and for the record, I'll take something from Mr. Wilder, un-subtitled, in a foreign language over hundreds of other films.  For those who've not had the pleasure, time to check out his work.

Mention is made that this edition was mastered in 2k from the original camera negative.  A pity.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert, was your tongue pressed hard against your cheek when you cited THE SWARM as an example from Henry Fonda's filmography? I think he's the best-played character in it, for sure, but god, what a dog of a film!'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks