What's new

Speaker names.... (1 Viewer)

cyberoptiq

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I was given a Luxman R-1040 receiver that uses speakers that connect to it as shown in the attached photo. What are those types of speakers called so I know which to buy?? Thanks!!

Attachments

• _20141106_225557.JPG
    _20141106_225557.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 34

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Every speaker ever made*...Or do you not know the term "binding post"?*Well, I take that back. You can't use that with the Apogee Scintilla.

cyberoptiq

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
Every speaker ever made*...Or do you not know the term "binding post"?*Well, I take that back. You can't use that with the Apogee Scintilla.
If I knew all the terms associated with home theater systems I nor anyone else would ask for assistance...no need to be so condescending in your reply...a simple "They are called binding posts..." would've sufficed....the purpose of asking questions and seeking assistance on this and any other forum is to get knowledgeable answers to those questions not made to feel like a fool for not knowing....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You asked "what are those types of speakers called "...You didn't use the word "connect". Wasn't sure if you were worried about the 4 ohm...the A/B...Binding post was a shot in the dark.

cyberoptiq

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Was only trying to find out what's the name or type of speakers used with this particular connection on the back of the receiver so I can buy the right ones....

cyberoptiq

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
You asked "what are those types of speakers called "...You didn't use the word "connect".
Actually if you re-read my post I do ask: "that uses speakers that connect to it as shown in the attached photo."

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is no "type" of speaker that may be used with those connections, as they are simply wire terminals that you use as DaveF said. Initially only connect the R&L for the A speakers to verify things work correctly.

cyberoptiq

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
DaveF & John Garcia - thank you both for your assistance....I just wanted to make sure I can plainly ask at the store or online for the right type of speakers based on that connection....I wasn't sure if I had to ask or order the speakers by a certain name....I have taken it to a friend who has multiple speakers and we tested both sets (A&B) separately to ensure they work and they do....greatly appreciated!!

cyberoptiq

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
This is a 40 watt/channel system....any suggestions as to what type of speakers would work well with the Luxman?? Since I'm tight on space I was thinking of bookshelf or not too tall/bulky floor standing sets....greatly appreciate everyone's help!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any speaker works with that. Essentially, it takes 10 watts to move 10db from a speakers initial rating...Ie, 90db speakers reach 100db on 10 watts...85 db speakers reach 95db...Since you have 40, next "up" is another 3db takes 20 watts...90 db reaches 103db85 reaches 98db.Topping out using the full 40 would net 106 and 101. (100db is painful)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Luxman makes some pretty heavy duty gear. A friend let me borrow one of their 300Wx2 amps in my setup before and it was a beast. This unit being 40W, I would say the only thing you'll want to avoid is 4 Ohm speakers. The majority of mass market brands are typically 8 Ohm, so that likely won't be an issue, but it is a question I'd ask, as low impedance speakers put more strain on the amp. Rough price range on the speakers? What sort of stuff do you listen to? It should pair up well with a nice set of bookshelf speakers.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Fond some information on your new toy:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/luxman/r-1040.shtml

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/luxman_r1040r_104.html

Turns out it is a AM/FM Stereo Receiver from 1978...

You have a phono and an aux selector. I wasn't able to get too much information on this I could actually read up on. You didn't say what you were using it for - but for AM/FM or playing records - it should work OK. There is no modern surround sound processing going on with that unit - so you won' t be able to use it for home theater usage.

You should be able to hook up your speakers to the terminals.

What store were you planning on going to - and what is your budget for your speakers?

cyberoptiq

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Schan1269 - thanks for the lesson in db's

John Garcia - thanks for the info on ohms....will keep that in mind....I plan to use it as an everyday radio tuner...nothing fancy....tight on space so I don't have where to put a cassette or CD deck or anything else for that matter next to it....I'm guessing a pair of speakers in the $300 range should do me well....I already have my flat-screen TV connected to Bose Cinemate system for surround sound...

Martino - I had seen the first link you sent me already....that was a help at least to get an idea of what I have....I was thinking of seeing what BestBuy might have that would work with the Luxman....I'm figuring anything $300 or less should work well with it....thank you for your assistance as well....

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
If the hi fi salesman asks you what sort of connect you want, just say 'spades'. They'll slot in just in front of the part you unscrew. If they can't offer you 'spades', then say bare wire please.
Cheers

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
More basically, *any* standalone speakers will work, if they accept bare speaker wire (vs speakers from a HTIB kit with wires permanently installed) The connection is all about how the speaker wire is terminated. You can always go with bare wire at both ends.

And you can terminate the speaker wires differently if you wanted to. You could have spades at the receiver end and bare wire at the speakers, for example. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks