What's new

International Hot Tip: Tales of the Unexpected (UK 1980s) (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I recently bought a complete box set of the 100+ episodes of Tales of the Unexpected, a British TV series from the 80s. It's almost unknown in the US, but I'm having a great time with it and wanted to let others know. It is based on the short horror stories of Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)... kind of like Twilight Zone, with famous guest stars every week and Dahl himself sitting in a wingback chair at the fireplace introducing each story. The stories are ironic, often funny and very very black. The writing and acting is uniformly excellent. The guest stars include many big names, for instance this weekend I saw an episode that had Sir John Gielgud and Joan Collins in it. Jose Ferrer is in the pilot. It's a bit like the Hammer anthology pictures like Tales from the Crypt.
Each episode is a half hour in color shot on film for locations and video in the studio (like most British series of the era). Production values are quite high. There is a complete box at Amazon UK in region 2. The complete series broken into four boxes for the US at Amazon but they cost more than double that way.
I can't recommend this highly enough. If you like Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Twilight Zone, you would love this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks