What's new

Warner Musical Collection (Calamity Jane, The Band Wagon, Kiss Me Kate 3D) - 3/3/15! (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw MGM's archive print of The Band Wagon in 1.37 ratio at MoMA. Subsequently I saw it in Dallas, with Cyd Charisse and Betty Comden as special guests, and it was shown in 1.85. Needless to say, the dancing numbers were severely compromised, since Astaire always wanted to show full body dancing. Well, we couldn't see their feet! I felt so chagrined since Ms. Charisse was there, but I can imagine how upset Astaire must have felt when he attended the premiere (if it was in WS) and didn't see HIS feet!

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I too was wary of this being hoisted into 1.85 or 1.75. During the sublime "Shine on your Shoes" number the camera takes a number of low angle shots to tilt pan across the action, and up there in the headroom of the set is the sign "The gayest Jewel box on Broadway".

To lose this would have been a capital crime.

bujaki said:
I saw MGM's archive print of The Band Wagon in 1.37 ratio at MoMA. Subsequently I saw it in Dallas, with Cyd Charisse and Betty Comden as special guests, and it was shown in 1.85. Needless to say, the dancing numbers were severely compromised, since Astaire always wanted to show full body dancing. Well, we couldn't see their feet! I felt so chagrined since Ms. Charisse was there, but I can imagine how upset Astaire must have felt when he attended the premiere (if it was in WS) and didn't see HIS feet!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
John Doe said:
It's a blu-ray collection and the date is in the title. Jeez! :D
The date did not appear on my hand held for the thread title is long, so don't be so self assuming. It was an honest question.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm thinking this is merely the tip of the iceberg in regards to Warner's planned catalog slate for 2015... Let the good times roll.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
AWESOME news! Love all 3 titles, but I'm especially excited about Calamity Jane as I didn't really expect that one so soon, and I love me some Doris Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks