What's new

Spartacus - World premiere restoration at TCM Festival 2015 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The initial slate of films for next year's TCM Classic Film Festival was announced, and a 55th anniversary world premiere restoration of Spartacus in collaboration with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment was included. Could a new Blu-ray be far behind?

Source: This screen cap posted on the "Going to the TCM Film Festival" Facebook page.

10744860_10152753344071348_234261538_n.jpg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
cineMANIAC said:
I just don't equate Universal Studios with film restoration *shrugs* (or picture quality for that matter).
Be that as it may, it can't possibly be any worse than what we got on blu-ray.

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
cineMANIAC said:
I just don't equate Universal Studios with film restoration *shrugs* (or picture quality for that matter).
They have made a few splendid surprises. One can hope.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Seems possible, at least. Count me in the chorus of the incredibly excited about this news! It's at the very top of my "most wanted" list!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd think that if there was a recent restoration project on Spartacus it would have been on Robert Harris' radar in a big way, no? Or did I miss something?

stevenHa

Second Unit
Couldn't help but notice Hunchback (1939) restored, I would assume it will also be on blu ray - Robert Harris was right - 2015 will be an expensive year !

ScottGros117

Agent
Real Name
Scott Gros
dpippel said:
I'd think that if there was a recent restoration project on Spartacus it would have been on Robert Harris' radar in a big way, no? Or did I miss something?
I didn't see anything either, but perhaps he was contractually bound not to say anything.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Saw Spartacus last May during one of Regal Theaters movie classic promotions. Doubt it was 4k, probably 2k and it was a brown muddy mess. Certainly didn't look like the Spartacus I've been seeing since 1960! Hopefully RAH is involved and this time they get the color and sound right. That said the Saul Bass main title on the Criterion DVD tends toward green which it certainly wasn't in theatrical showings.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
When I wrote in another thread that anything is possible with Universal regarding Spartacus I did not know that the good news would come out so fast.

I am pretty sure that there is little need to worry that this will not at least get the same care as Vertigo which to me would be a good start. Of course I am hoping for a bit better even but you never know...

And then at the end of next year Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia and Spartacus can be the first classic epics to be released on 4k Blu-ray - not bad!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
haineshisway said:
I'm amused at the price tag for the A version - 1700 bucks - kind of insane and an awful lot of chutzpah.
These TCM festivals are typically high hat affairs. The price certainly reflects this in suggesting to the thinning out the potential plebes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks