What's new

Need UPS Recomendation (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My APC ups had died. Got up this morning and it was beeping like there had been a power failure and it was still out. There was no power failure so that wasn't the problem.. I verified the receptacle it was plugged into had power. Even tried a different receptacle. Tried the circuit breaker reset switch on the back and that did no good. I noticed that one item plugged into the ups but not into a battery backup plug, had power. So it was able to pass thru power.

It must be a least 5 years-old, so it's time to replace it. All I had plugged into battery backup plugs were my iMac, an external HD, and nothing else.

Recommendations? If it was available via Amazon Prime, that would be preferable.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was just looking at cyber power on Amazon when I came back and saw your post. Are you happy with your cyberpower? Is their one on on that list you'd recommend?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Personal opinion here...Tripp-Lite are the best consumer grade. Now if you want to step up to a business version, APC all the way.Oh yeah...if you want a serious one, get hospital grade. Like the TL OmniSmart.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Do any of the ups systems have software that runs on an iMac? Is it that important to use the software?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would suppose there is software that runs on the Mac, but really, all I care
about is if my power goes out that I have enough time to finish what I am working
on and shut down my computer.

There may be others here that see a significant value in having additional software
installed.

Let us know what you purchase, Johnny.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most work with iOS. The only reason to use it is if you often download/update while not home. Or leave the comp up when you go to bed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a pair of CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1000VA 600W PFC. No extra software is required. Connect with USB to the iMac and in settings turn on the standard feature to shut off when the ups is low on power.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just read on Amazon that the Tripp lite does use the auto shutdown features built into windows and OS X.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Johnny Angell said:
Just read on Amazon that the Tripp lite does use the auto shutdown features built into windows and OS X.
Everything is "smart" these days. I don't use any auto power down. The only non laptop I have is a lenovo ideacentre used in my theatre. It is only used when in the room.With my generator and house UPS, the only additional I have are all where DVR are located. Those are APC 350va something or the others.The house UPS priority is the HVAC and kitchen. Those are instant. Everything else has a 2-3 second gap.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
That looks good too. It appears to support sine wave output, like the CyperPower, which I've read is important for the iMac. Features are similar on both. I think it comes down to aesthetics, price, and perceived quality. Keep in mind that you don't necessarily need excessive power. You want enough to get documents saved and power off during an outage. You're not trying to stay powered on through the outage.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Johnny, why would your iMac run faster with a surge protector?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Now ya see, this is why we need access to smileys on our iPads. Instead of doubling up on the smileys, I could have picked the winking one or some other tongue-in-cheek smiley to make or clear I was just joking. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought emoji didn't work in HTF.Not for me. Just typed about ten and none of them made it through

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't use emojis, but I thought I would test it. Seems to work for me. I'm looking for several UPSs so I've been following this thread.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't see any way to access the emoji keyboard. I'm on 7.1.1 on an iPad 2. Ok, I've found it. . BTW, is that last one a pile of .....?Well I see what you mean by inconsistent results. The emojis typed in fine, but they didn't post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks