What's new

Elementary Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A good episode with Sherlock's return and Joan's hostility towards him. Looking forward to what comes next along with Kitty.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Because the Carolina Panthers is a local team, the game last night was carried on the local CBS affiliate instead of just on the NFL network, thus Elementary got preempted. The local CBS station isn't showing it until early Sunday morning, but hopefully it'll be available On Demand today at lunch and I can watch it then. It KILLED me to not get to see the season premiere last night. I'll check back in here after I have watched it.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
I find Joan's rapid evolution into a detective qualified to assist the NYPD to be somewhat incredulous. In every incarnation since the original novels and short stories, Holmes is light years ahead of everyone else in his deductive reasoning - last night's episode suggests that Watson served as a more than adequate substitute while Holmes was in London. That's a stretch.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm pretty sure they're not hewing that closely to the books. For instance, Watson doesn't have a moustache.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof2 said:
I find Joan's rapid evolution into a detective qualified to assist the NYPD to be somewhat incredulous. In every incarnation since the original novels and short stories, Holmes is light years ahead of everyone else in his deductive reasoning - last night's episode suggests that Watson served as a more than adequate substitute while Holmes was in London. That's a stretch.
I felt the same way. I had no problem with her being helping the NYPD and being a detective. But, she was almost on par with Holmes. Who should be way ahead of her.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
She wouldn't have solved the case without Holmes' deduction of the electromagnet. So he is clearly better at this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hanson said:
She wouldn't have solved the case without Holmes' deduction of the electromagnet. So he is clearly better at this.
Not only that, but I think Holmes realized the electromagnet was still in the room, but he let Watson figured that out for herself.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oh, yes, I think Holmes solved it, gave them some information and a nudge or two, and then let Joan and Bell find their own way to the solution. Very satisfying end though I'm not sure we've heard the last of the Gina Gershon character.

I was not a fan of Kitty AT ALL. Perhaps I just long for the show I fell in love with for two seasons, but making Joan so adept did seem a bit forced. I hope Kitty will be phased out over the course of the next few episodes. Everything just seemed off with Holmes and Watson at odds with one another.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think Holmes knew the magnet was where it was. Didn't they show Joan flashing back to Holmes sitting on the bathroom ledge and him tapping it. Almost like he was showing her where to look.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
todd s said:
I think Holmes knew the magnet was where it was. Didn't they show Joan flashing back to Holmes sitting on the bathroom ledge and him tapping it. Almost like he was showing her where to look.
No question! Also, I think she realized that she still needed him to bounce things off of and the same with him to her.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I thought that the flashback to him sitting there, tapping was REALLY heavy-handed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enjoyable episode, but Kitty has got to go. I don't care what kind of victim she was (their clumsy way of attempting to endear her to the audience). The fact is that it's awkward with Holmes and TWO colleagues coming along with him to scenes and interviews. I truly hope the producers don't have her slated to hang around all season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
Enjoyable episode, but Kitty has got to go. I don't care what kind of victim she was (their clumsy way of attempting to endear her to the audience). The fact is that it's awkward with Holmes and TWO colleagues coming along with him to scenes and interviews. I truly hope the producers don't have her slated to hang around all season.
You said the same thing about Root in POI and I really like that character. As to Kitty, I want to see where they go with her.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
But POI changed the nature of Root's character over the course of episodes to make her rather essential to the show. I don't see that happening with Kitty. After all, it is and always has been Holmes and Watson. Kitty is in one story in the canon.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I truly hope the producers don't have her slated to hang around all season.
Well, I believe you are going to be disappointed then...

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/11/elementary-exclusive-who-is-kitty-winter/

My own feelings on Kitty are basically that I'm keeping an open mind about the character and her role on the series. Since Watson has advanced, why not introduce a new character for Holmes to mentor? They've clearly altered the partnership so why stop there with the changes?

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, the show has probably made the biggest deviation yet from the source material. Introducing Kitty is merely a byproduct of the shift in the Holmes and Watson dynamic, not a cause.I don't know that I'm anymore endeared to the character knowing more of her past. I assumed she came from something rough, hence her attitude.I'd be more annoyed if the character doesn't go anywhere and just serves as a plot-driven wedge between Holmes and Watson.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Walter Kittel said:
Well, I believe you are going to be disappointed then...

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/11/elementary-exclusive-who-is-kitty-winter/

My own feelings on Kitty are basically that I'm keeping an open mind about the character and her role on the series. Since Watson has advanced, why not introduce a new character for Holmes to mentor? They've clearly altered the partnership so why stop there with the changes?

- Walter.
Thanks for that link. As I enjoy the show so much, I will, of course, be in for the long haul, and perhaps I will be surprised and delighted with what they do with her (as Crawdaddy mentioned above, I did come around with Root in Person of Interest once they found an interesting hook for her presence on the show). The first two episodes, however, have not inspired great confidence, but it's early days yet. Patience is a virtue.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Put me in the anti-Kitty camp as well. Regardless of her backstory the character is unnecessary. Assuming circumstances continue to have Sherlock and Joan crossing paths on cases, we'll now have Kitty there as well, plus Bell and sometimes even Gregson in the field, as he was in the last episode. How many detectives does it take to screw in a light bulb? They might as well just put them in the Mystery Machine and have them all unmask old man Wetherby at the same time.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found I was enjoying the show as much as ever, so I at least don't mind Kitty. I look forward to future episodes.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I suspect a multi-episode "Holmes in BIG Trouble" story arc in our future, which will force Watson, Kitty and the rest have to work together, so they all learn each others value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks