What's new

Can anyone recomend a good allregion Blu-ray player (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Can anyone recommend a good all region Blu-ray player for use here in the USA. I'd prefer one that plays all regions right out of the box and not hacked. Price range somewhere between $200 to $400.Thanks for your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LouA said:
Can anyone recommend a good all region Blu-ray player for use here in the USA. I'd prefer one that plays all regions right out of the box and not hacked. Price range somewhere between $200 to $400.Thanks for your help.
Dead horse and...All multi-region are hacked. Period.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Thanks Phil. It was helpful, I will look into the LG player mentioned there. Any one else have a player they recommend?

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
LouA said:
Thanks Phil. It was helpful, I will look into the LG player mentioned there. Any one else have a player they recommend?
All my dvd /bluray players can play all regions and all zones in both Pal and NTSC format. My dvd players can play any region and format automatically.( common in Australia) .With bluray you will have to enter a four digit code in order to play a different zone unless the disc is region free (which is very common with most distributors.) You can find a site on the internet that will give you the 4 digit code number for your player. Be careful with LG models as the company (in Australia at least ) will not provide you with the code required ,but it can be found on the internet. Ask your dealer for the code before you buy .They can even change the coding for you and then give you the code. Remember you may have to change the zone each time that you play another country's disc.In Australia most of our dvd players play both pal and ntsc automatically as well as any region. It is only with blurays that a code needs to be entered when you change to another zone .I bought my all zone bluray player for less than $100 from a major supplier. They also gave me the 4 digit number required in order to change to another zone.Try your local shop in Chinatown (if you have one) as you are more likely to get an Asian player complete with the 4 digit code for changing the zone. I rarely have to change a zone on my player as most discs are zone free-even the major studios..CRITERION is the rare exception. I buy blurays and dvds from around the world and never have had a problem in playing the disc regardless from the country where it emanated. If you have desktop computer that can burn dvds or blurays ,then you can download a free programme whereby the region/zone AND COPYRIGHT PROTECTION are removed automatically when you burn a copy..It never fails.( It also may not be legal)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
cinerama10 said:
All my dvd /bluray players can play all regions and all zones in both Pal and NTSC format. My dvd players can play any region and format automatically.( common in Australia) .With bluray you will have to enter a four digit code in order to play a different zone unless the disc is region free (which is very common with most distributors.) You can find a site on the internet that will give you the 4 digit code number for your player. Be careful with LG models as the company (in Australia at least ) will not provide you with the code required ,but it can be found on the internet. Ask your dealer for the code before you buy .They can even change the coding for you and then give you the code. Remember you may have to change the zone each time that you play another country's disc.In Australia most of our dvd players play both pal and ntsc automatically as well as any region. It is only with blurays that a code needs to be entered when you change to another zone .I bought my all zone bluray player for less than $100 from a major supplier. They also gave me the 4 digit number required in order to change to another zone.Try your local shop in Chinatown (if you have one) as you are more likely to get an Asian player complete with the 4 digit code for changing the zone. I rarely have to change a zone on my player as most discs are zone free-even the major studios..CRITERION is the rare exception. I buy blurays and dvds from around the world and never have had a problem in playing the disc regardless from the country where it emanated. If you have desktop computer that can burn dvds or blurays ,then you can download a free programme whereby the region/zone AND COPYRIGHT PROTECTION are removed automatically when you burn a copy..It never fails.( It also may not be legal)
Thanks for your informative response. I recently bought the Ray Harryhausen Documentary from England and it won't play on either of my Blu-ray players (Sony , Panasonic) , so I figures I'd get a good all region Blu-ray player. I already have a decent All region DVD player. I'm going to check on the code at one of my local stores.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LouA said:
Thanks for your informative response. I recently bought the Ray Harryhausen Documentary from England and it won't play on either of my Blu-ray players (Sony , Panasonic) , so I figures I'd get a good all region Blu-ray player. I already have a decent All region DVD player. I'm going to check on the code at one of my local stores.
What he is talking about is downloading a zip file.Problem is, they only work till the next firmware update.The zip file allows you access to the service menu.Same thing the PERMANENT HARDWARE MOD does from 220, Bombay or World Imports.So, go ahead and find the zip file that will work till your next firmware update...or buy a hardware mod player.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I have been using the same free file for many years and don't have to use any updates.One gets notified of any (free) updates and they are easy to install.They only take a few minutes or less to install. The site that I use will tell you that you can only use it for 30 days for free then you have to pay. The secret is that after the 30 day trial period you continue to get it for free as well as the updates, without any costs involved. All my friends use the same site.I am currently using the 8th update of the free site. There may be later versions.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Thanks for all the comments and advice . To be honest , changing codes , and downloading zip files is a little daunting to me. Now I'm leaning toward getting an OPPO player, and contacting them about the possibility of turning it into an all region - getting the code from them . Is that possible ? I know that Blu-ray and DVD companies worry about pirated discs , but I wish someone could sell a legit all region player here in the USA.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
LouA said:
Now I'm leaning toward getting an OPPO player, and contacting them about the possibility of turning it into an all region - getting the code from them . Is that possible ? I know that Blu-ray and DVD companies worry about pirated discs , but I wish someone could sell a legit all region player here in the USA.
No manufacturer will do that. You'll need to get it from a third-party. I believe all region-free players require you to enter a code in order to change regions, even those that have been hardware-modified. Still, it's easy enough to find a decent player. Just google "region free blu ray player", or you can even search Amazon - you'll find plenty. I'd stick with the major brands and make sure that it's region-free for both blu-ray and DVD, and converts PAL to NTSC.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Worth said:
No manufacturer will do that. You'll need to get it from a third-party. I believe all region-free players require you to enter a code in order to change regions, even those that have been hardware-modified. Still, it's easy enough to find a decent player. Just google "region free blu ray player", or you can even search Amazon - you'll find plenty. I'd stick with the major brands and make sure that it's region-free for both blu-ray and DVD, and converts PAL to NTSC.
You are wrong when you say that NO manufacturer will do that.. I have had manufacturers mail me the 4 digit code when I have requested it. Only LG would not do this. I have also had a shop assistant change the code on my bluray player when requested, after buying it.. No code is necessary in Australia for most dvd players as they can automatically play all regions and both Pal and NTSC. With bluray you need to enter the 4 digit code each time you play a different zone unless the disc is region free. Many of the major U.S.A. studios now release blurays that are zone free.I understand (correct me if I am wrong) that MGM,Warners and Disney blurays are all zone free. (at least the one that I bought). Some of the major studios always released ALL of their dvds as region free discs, although they never advertised the fact.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
cinerama10 said:
You are wrong when you say that NO manufacturer will do that.. I have had manufacturers mail me the 4 digit code when I have requested it. Only LG would not do this. I have also had a shop assistant change the code on my bluray player when requested, after buying it.. No code is necessary in Australia for most dvd players as they can automatically play all regions and both Pal and NTSC. With bluray you need to enter the 4 digit code each time you play a different zone unless the disc is region free. Many of the major U.S.A. studios now release blurays that are zone free.I understand (correct me if I am wrong) that MGM,Warners and Disney blurays are all zone free. (at least the one that I bought). Some of the major studios always released ALL of their dvds as region free discs, although they never advertised the fact.
You are absolutely correct.Rules in Australia apply everywhere else in the world.Everyone else talking about this is an abject moron.Thank you for the clarification that Australia rules all.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
cinerama10 said:
Please post any codes you've received from the manufacturers; it could prove very helpful to many of your fellow forum members.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Worth said:
Thanks for the tip. I went to Amazon and I'm strongly thinking of a Panasonic 89 All Region Multi Zone player with 100-240 volt worldwide voltage , and BUILT IN REAL TIME VIDEO CONVERSION. $199.00. I may still get an OPPO down the road and play my collection of region 1 and all region disc on it , since it will probably deliver a better defined picture than the Panasonic .

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Peter Apruzzese said:
Please post any codes you've received from the manufacturers; it could prove very helpful to many of your fellow forum members.
The codes that I have may not be for players outside Australia. There is a web site that lists hundreds of players and all you do is scroll down for your player and you will see the code. I have not used this site for several years and as such have forgotten the site.I can however get it from a friend when I next see him.. I do have the code for Panasonic for a portable dvd player which I bought in 2009. It is 9653.Also my Soniq bluray player is 8520.I bought 2 of them them locally for less than $A100.I no longer have codes for my older players that I have since disposed of.My friend found the LG code for his 3D player on the net.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dmp-bd91-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.htm

Panasonic DMP-BD91 Region Free Blu Ray DVD Player

[*]Our Region Free Models also Play .mkv,.avi,.divx
[*]Region Free DVD Player
[*]HDMI
[*]PAL NTSC Video Converter
[*]110V-240V Dual Voltage
[*]USB
[*]PAL NTSC
[/list]
Not a fan of LG aka Goldstar and I would recommend this Panasonic over the LG.
http://www.world-import.com/region_free_blu_ray_DVD_players.htm?gclid=CLWF1p_Z-sECFQqIfgodTX4ADg
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=region%20free%20blu%20ray%20player&sprefix=Region+Free%2Celectronics%2C256

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
LouA said:
Thanks for all the comments and advice . To be honest , changing codes , and downloading zip files is a little daunting to me. Now I'm leaning toward getting an OPPO player, and contacting them about the possibility of turning it into an all region - getting the code from them . Is that possible ? I know that Blu-ray and DVD companies worry about pirated discs , but I wish someone could sell a legit all region player here in the USA.
For your price range ($200-$400) you could very easily buy a nice used Oppo BDP-83 from eBay, likely including the money you'd need for the hardware modification (costs about $50).

Don't be freaked out by it being a hardware mod. You don't need any special skills to install it. You don't even have to know how to solder. Only tool you'll need is a screwdriver (to remove the lid). There an "empty" socket on the motherboard that this card plugs into. Just connect it, put the lid back on, and you're good to go!

If you only need multiregion for DVD, you could also download the software file called SuperDisk. You simply run it once, and your Oppo is region-free for DVDs. For blu-rays, though, you will need the hardware mod.

I have three BDP-83s. The first one I bought brand new. The other two I bought used. All work excellently. In fact, one of the used ones developed a loader problem within weeks of me owning it. I emailed Oppo to tell them the problems my player was having, and they repaired/replaced the loader free of charge (they didn't even ask me how long ago I purchased or if I was the original owner). I think the only thing I had to pay for was to ship it to them. Now that's customer service!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bear in mind that for some so-called "region free" models, that only applies to DVDs, not Blu-rays.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
StephenDH said:
Bear in mind that for some so-called "region free" models, that only applies to DVDs, not Blu-rays.
I disagree with you.My bluray player pays all zones and regions for dvds. They are freely available in shops in Australia and a bluray all zone player can be bought for less than $A100. Anyway if you have a burner on your computer,there are free programmes that will take out the regional coding and copyright protection when you burn a dvd or bluray.It may not be legal but are commonly used world wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks