What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pete Kelly's Blues -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When I heard that Pete Kelly's Blues was coming from Warner Archive, my immediate reaction was somewhere between "why that one, and huh?..."

Although Jack Webb was never a favorite of mine in the acting category -- he seemed to make other actors who might be considered a bit "stiff," look positively Olympian-class athletic.

As popular as it was, never a fan of Dragnet. "Book 'em Dano, murder one..."

or was that John Frye?

Whenever I think of Dragnet, my thoughts go his sidekick Ben Alexander, who, as a child actor, was a Griffith player. He can also be seen in All Quiet on the Western Front.

I was unaware that Mr. Webb grew up with Jazz, which became a life-long interest -- had a Pete Kelly radio show, and directed Pete Kelly's Blues as an absolute passion project.

After spending a bit of time with Warner's new Blu-ray, I've come away with far more respect for Mr. Webb as a director than actor, but also can now see why the film was selected for release.

What I'm seeing and hearing is almost other-worldly.

First, the image, harvested from WarnerColor elements, about the worst there were, and which were generally printed to death, is quite beautiful. Nice original grain, Very good color, with proper unfaded-appearing densities.

The audio got my attention from the logo on. Presented here in DTS-HD MA, the separation and quality is astounding for almost sixty year-old mags. I'm presuming that these tracks were archived as part of WB's audio problem years ago.

For those devotees of jazz, there's Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, and of course, Andy Devine.

Beautiful early CinemaScope.

So is Pete Kelly's Blues an odd choice for the Archive Collection? Apparently not -- especially for lovers' of jazz.

Another gorgeous release for the Warner Archive Collection.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5*

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
McCrutchy said:
Genuine Question: What was the "audio problem" Warner had, and is it the reason for the "5*" audio rating?
No problem. Audio was FAR better than expected. I tend to rate film quality, as NGC a third party numismatic grader rates coins. Something that is exceptionally pretty or special gets a *.

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've always loved this film. I've been lucky enough to have seen really good prints in repertory theaters. I wasn't surprised when I heard that Warner Archives were releasing this on Blu-ray because the DVD indicated that the elements had been looked after properly.

I agree that Jack Webb the director is far better than Jack Webb the actor. Mr Webb was married at one time to Julie London. I imagine an interest in jazz was one of the things they had in common.

Will I be buying this disc? Of course. I'm delighted to learn that it is of such high quality.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
And he's great as a vicious killer in "Appointment with Danger" where ironically he murders Harry Morgan's character. Morgan of course became Webb's partner in the revival of "Dragnet" in 67.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Gary16 said:
And he's great as a vicious killer in "Appointment with Danger" where ironically he murders Harry Morgan's character. Morgan of course became Webb's partner in the revival of "Dragnet" in 67.
I also like Webb as a newspaper chief in -30-.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
McCrutchy said:
Genuine Question: What was the "audio problem" Warner had, and is it the reason for the "5*" audio rating?
As I remember most, if not all, of the master mixed stereo tracks were erased in the 60s. As I remember, a collector who was involved in some film exchange back in the day held on to as many stereo stripped films he could. Luckily Warners were able to restrieve these as that is why we have so many Warner stereo films from the 50s. Of course, they also erased and got rid of all their optical nitrate music tracks in the 70s. Luckily, a great deal of the Cinemascope era's scores were saved, but not the 3 channel masters, but mixed down to mono. They ended up on 8-track reel to reel tape with every track containing separate music cue stems. Because of this, many cues now have bleed through from the other tracks. Can't remember if the speed was 7 1/2 or 15ips.

George Korngold, the composer's son was a music editor and Warners let him know about the purge of 30s and 40s scores and they allowed him to come in with his reel to reel recorder and save as much as he could of this father's music. Several Korngold scores were already unplayable due to nitrate decomp. But a great deal was saved. Wish I was in the loop, I would have loved to have done the same with Steiner, Waxman, Deutsch, etc. scores from this period.

So when I hear a blu ray with great stereo sound from Warner's Cinemascope period, I know the kind of work that goes into making the sound so wonderful.

This was about 15 years ago I was told about this, so maybe they found an hidden vault with the master tracks, but I doubt it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I watched my BLU last nite and I really enjoyed it. It was a complete blind buy but I tend to do a lot of Warner Archive BLU Blind buys. I am glad this was released it looks incredible to me. The sound was also top notch. The production seemed quite interesting for those in front of and behind the camera. The movie has a nice blend of music, crime, and drama.

to be honest these are the kinds of BLUs I love seeing WAC release. I had NEVER heard of this film ever before but this disc looks and sounds so good and well Lee Marvin has a small part in the film also, :)

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Powell&Pressburger said:
I watched my BLU last nite and I really enjoyed it. It was a complete blind buy but I tend to do a lot of Warner Archive BLU Blind buys. I am glad this was released it looks incredible to me. The sound was also top notch. The production seemed quite interesting for those in front of and behind the camera. The movie has a nice blend of music, crime, and drama.

to be honest these are the kinds of BLUs I love seeing WAC release. I had NEVER heard of this film ever before but this disc looks and sounds so good and well Lee Marvin has a small part in the film also, :)
Although I have seen the film before, I share all of your enthusiastic praise for this disc. "Pete Kelly's Blues" is a gorgeous Blu-ray, and great entertainment. The PQ is stunning, and the audio blew me away. It's a great track, with that unmistakable Warner Bros. orchestra at its peak, but the lossless DTS track allowed me to hear it as never before. I even re-watched the Ella Fitzgerald numbers a second time after we finished the movie....and how nice to see those two trailers which weren't on the DVD..in 1080pHD...and the vintage 1955 WB shorts which were on the DVD....presented on the Blu also in 1080pHD. Gorgeous job all around.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Conrad_SSS said:
Although I have seen the film before, I share all of your enthusiastic praise for this disc. "Pete Kelly's Blues" is a gorgeous Blu-ray, and great entertainment. The PQ is stunning, and the audio blew me away. It's a great track, with that unmistakable Warner Bros. orchestra at its peak, but the lossless DTS track allowed me to hear it as never before. I even re-watched the Ella Fitzgerald numbers a second time after we finished the movie....and how nice to see those two trailers which weren't on the DVD..in 1080pHD...and the vintage 1955 WB shorts which were on the DVD....presented on the Blu also in 1080pHD. Gorgeous job all around.
I couldn't agree more. I've always loved this movie and this new Blu just made me love it even more. Great great job by everyone at Warner.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
PETE KELLY'S BLUES has one of the great shots in CinemaScope history when, during the final shootout, Jack Webb is in one corner of the frame, and each of three assailants is shown occupying one of the other 3 corners.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Watched this tonight, always loved the film and very impressed with the Blu Ray quality... Very well done and can't wait to watch it again!

John Skoda

Second Unit
I'd love to know more about Warners sound and how it worked. PETE KELLY'S BLUES is a good example. There's a resonance that's very particular to Warner Bros. films, isn't there? You hear it in the music recordings, but you also hear it in dialogue scenes. Think of Humphrey Bogart in CASABLANCA when he yells "If she can stand it, I can!" His voice resonates in a way that it wouldn't have at any other studio. It's not particularly realistic sound. Peggy Lee, in this film, sings so softly that her voice would have been covered up by the band in real life, where Judy Garland in A STAR IS BORN (done the year before at Warners) is practically blowing the roof off with volume. But in both cases you hear every nuance of the voice. Above all, the sound is accurate. In Warners films, you can almost count the number of players in the string section of the orchestra just by listening. I read somewhere that Warners came up with their system in the early days because of the wide variety in quality of the sound reproduction in local theaters. Apparently it was designed to be heard well in almost any circumstance. But you don't hear it anymore after the 1960s. What changed? Maybe just more films were made on location and not on the Warners soundstages?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks