What's new

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 3 General Discussion (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Captain America: CIVIL WAR - May 6th, 2016

Doctor Strange - November 4th, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - May 5th, 2017
Thor: Ragnarok - July 28th, 2017
Black Panther - November 3, 2017
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1 - MAY 4TH, 2018
Captain Marvel - July 6th, 2018
The Inhumans - November 2nd, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2 - MAY 3rd, 2019

Discuss....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
MCUPhase3.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Left out Ant-Man as the kick-off in July 2015.Wow, 10 films in Phase 3! Phase 2 is only 5 films.

This is a pretty ambitious and exciting plan for the next Phase of films. I think this hits the marks for what most fans have been hoping for. More new heroes, more cosmic stuff, the "alternative version of mutants", and more of the established heroes while pushing them in dramatic new directions. And a huge, two part finale with Thanos to cap off the first "mega phase".It seems like after Infinity War, Marvel can pull back a little and grow new properties through phases 4, 5, etc.. which I think will likely eventually build into another "mega phase".
So it would seem that "phase 4" would be the time for them to take a break from the "big three" and possibly not use them, and that would be the time to recast those who don't want to sign new contracts for more films. But it's great that we get 4 Avengers films with the original actors and end that chapter on a big, epic high note.
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpg
image.jpg
I never read anything with Black Panther, but I got familiar with this character from watching the animated "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and I think he's really cool.Fiege says:
"Black Panther and all of Wakanda is one of the most interesting characters in Marvel history," said Feige. "Something I already showed you today contains an Easter egg that leads directly into Black Panther. He’s a bit of a prince, he may even become a bit of a king, but it’s all about how this isolationist country meets the world. Maybe it goes well, maybe it doesn’t."
And the character will appear first in 2016's Captain America: Civil War before his solo outting in 2017Chadwick Boseman has signed a 5 deal to play Black Panther, starting with Cap 3
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Next up, was the announcement of the Inhumans adaptation, which Kevin Feige promises will "introduce dozens of characters into the Marvel Cinematic Universe." He continued, "We really do believe the Inhumans can be a franchise or a series of franchise unto themselves. They have dozens of powers and an amazing social structure. With our 20th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, we wanted to continue to refine what that universe is about." In addition, Kevin Feige teased that we'll get Inhumans Easter eggs sooner than we might think.

Since Fox won't be giving up the rights to the X-Men and Mutants anytime this century, Marvel Studios will filling that void with the Inhumans.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I'm also guessing the Inhumans movie is the "Alternative version of mutants", now that Fox is determined that Marvel will not pry the X-Men out of their cold dead fingers...
There's a reason, though, that you've heard of Storm and Wolverine, and not Black Bolt and Medusa.

(Like Sony and Spiderman, however, nothing lasts forever in the world of non-Disney Marvel.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ejanss said:
There's a reason, though, that you've heard of Storm and Wolverine, and not Black Bolt and Medusa.
True, but then I think the healthiest attitude to have about such a thing can be summed up in four words: Guardians of the Galaxy

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sean Bryan said:
True, but then I think the healthiest attitude to have about such a thing can be summed up in four words: Guardians of the Galaxy
Yes, but with Guardians, their hands were tied: They HAD to work Thanos and the Infinity Stones into Phase 2, and the only other titles that breached that storyline were Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer...Yep, stinky ol' Fox takes over the sandbox again. :angry:
They were just lucky we liked the characters, and could get by on their being a new title that still had a fanbase that recognize them.

Here, it's just desperation--coupled with early attempts to do an Inhumans movie back in the Curse days when they'd do just about anything to get a Marvel movie filmed--but I don't know if they've even appeared in a comic since the 70's. :wacko:
I say, wait and see with the Apocalypse movie; Bryan Singer's got one more franchise-killer in him yet, and Sony looks like they're already tying that white flag to a stick.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
About the Spider-Man rumors, when asked about it Fiege had this to say;
"Anything that wasn’t specifically and obviously revealed today is either not true at all, or still rumor until it’s worked out."
Ultimately a non-answer. It could be the Cumberbatch casting that is "still being worled out" and Spidey to join the MCU is not true (most liklely).

But yet it is interesting htat he didn't flat out deny the Spidey rumors saying something more definitevely negative.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ejanss said:
Yes, but with Guardians, their hands were tied: They HAD to work Thanos and the Infinity Stones into Phase 2, and the only other titles that breached that storyline were Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer...Yep, stinky ol' Fox takes over the sandbox again. :angry:
They were just lucky we liked the characters, and could get by on their being a new title that still had a fanbase that recognize them.

Here, it's just desperation--coupled with early attempts to do an Inhumans movie back in the Curse days when they'd do just about anything to get a Marvel movie filmed--but I don't know if they've even appeared in a comic since the 70's. :wacko:
I say, wait and see with the Apocalypse movie; Singer's got one more franchise-killer in him yet, and Sony will be the first to crack and surrender.
Marvel Comics has been pushing The Inhumans pretty strongly recently, and they have a have had a relatively significant presence in their cosmic stuff for a while now.

My point was that the general audience being "familiar" with obscure comic characters doesn't ultmatley have anything to do with how good of a film can be made with such characters. Especialliy if you have talaneted and creative people wanted to tell cool stories.

Just because audiences were familiar with Wolverine didn't make X-Men Origins: Wolverine any less terrible. And just because the general audience (and MOST of the comic reading fans) said "Who?" when Guardians was announced didn't stop it from being one of the most fun and financially successful films of the year.

Marvel Strudos has earned a litlte faith, I think.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Chadwick Boseman is a solid actor, but I was kind of hoping that if they finally tackled the character they'd cast an African actor in the role.The Norse mythological endgame of Ragnarök is actually really cool. The comics character of Ragnarok, not so much. This is probably the upcoming Marvel film I have the least interest in.A little surprising that they're going straight to the Carol Danvers version of Captain Marvel; Marvel probably knew that people would riot if they announced nine new films and none of them had a female lead. I still held out hopes for a Black Widow standalone movie. Given that the Kree are intrinsically tied to the character, it'll be interesting to see how much (if at all) this one ties into the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.Hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE that they're splitting the third Avengers movie into two parts. This has been my personal least favorite trend in recent years, the milking of a francise into multiple movies. I don't want to pay $14 to go see half a movie.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
Hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE that they're splitting the third Avengers movie into two parts. This has been my personal least favorite trend in recent years, the milking of a francise into multiple movies. I don't want to pay $14 to go see half a movie.
I'm also not a huge fan of taking one movie and splitting it in two.

However, for quite a while now I've been really hoping that Marvel would do something on a "Lord of the Rings" type scale where there is a larger, epic story that simply has to play out over more than one film. The lose connection of the stand-alone films with the "Avengers" phase climax is cool, but not the same thing as the larger, multi-film tale I have been hoping for.

So this news has me VERY excitted! Forgetting about The Hobbit (because then your complaint would fairly apply), I never felt that I was paying three times for just a third of a movie when I saw the three Lord of the Rings films. So my hope here is that Infinity War is more two films in a big saga rather than one big film split into two.

The fact that there are two new separate films inbetween parts one and two give me hope that each part will be 'whole" while both contrubuting to the larger story.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
The Norse mythological endgame of Ragnarök is actually really cool. The comics character of Ragnarok, not so much. This is probably the upcoming Marvel film I have the least interest in.
I thought that in the comics, Ragnarök was about the cycle of death and re-birth of the Asgardians. I wasn't even aware of a "Ragnarok" character. Can you elaborate on that?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE that they're splitting the third Avengers movie into two parts. This has been my personal least favorite trend in recent years, the milking of a francise into multiple movies. I don't want to pay $14 to go see half a movie.
I'm with you. It's one thing when they're adapting a book and want more screen time (and, of course, want to make more money) but The Avengers Part 3 won't be any kind of direct adaptation so if it wasn't pure greed, they could just write a shorter movie rather than charging everyone twice for one story.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
dpippel said:

I think this is what they are going with:

http://www.comicsrecommended.com/articles/marvel/thor-2-80.html
Thor Disassembled is technically a part of the Avengers Disassembled group of stories. Nonetheless, the formal name of this story arc is very simply 'Ragnarok'; this title is more fitting for what the story is all about. 'Ragnarok' means 'Twilight of the Gods'. And 'Twilight of the Gods', very simply, is the total destruction of Asgard and the Norse pantheon. Ragnarok. You call a storyline 'Ragnarok' and its going to be ugly, destructive, and its going to be 'The End'. Thor Disassembled is all of this, and more. Brace yourself, because with this last five issues of Thor volume 2, everybody in the Thor universe dies. Everybody.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
The Norse mythological endgame of Ragnarök is actually really cool. The comics character of Ragnarok, not so much. This is probably the upcoming Marvel film I have the least interest in.
Don't worry, I dont think they are doing a clone Thor story. Im pretty sure they're going with what I posted above.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sean Bryan said:
Don't worry, I dont think they are doing a clone Thor story. Im pretty sure they're going with what I posted above.
Yyyyep. We can sort out the Geek Fanboys by the ones who say "It's going to be so kewl, dark and epic, translating every single moment from the graphic series, and leading into a six-part Planet Hulk movie, where the whole universe gets destroyed!"

Think we're getting some ultimate battle to round out the trilogy*--with or without a clone, but definitely with some actual tangible antagonist--but if you want "Dark", it's your own darn fault, so go watch a DC movie.
One of the reasons Marvel made so much movie money in the first place was that they did stories that normal non-fan moviegoers can understand. Fans aren't really the majority, y'see.

---
(* - Whether or not this the official Studio Apology for Thor 2, think they're aware there's not going be much audience demand for expanding the solo movies beyond the phase-friendly closed trilogy.)

A little surprising that they're going straight to the Carol Danvers version of Captain Marvel; Marvel probably knew that people would riot if they announced nine new films and none of them had a female lead. I still held out hopes for a Black Widow standalone movie.
Consider those hopes officially crushed with the new confirmation.
Sorry, agents, another last-ditch "Babe spinoff" bites the dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks