What's new

Klipsch Reference RC-42 II vs JBL ES25CBK (1 Viewer)

pstephanou

Auditioning
Real Name
Panayiotis
Hello all,

I am currently looking for a new center speaker for my existing 5.1 setup and I would like some experienced opinion.

Since I am very new to home theater setups and I have little knowledge, my first question is if the above speakers are compatible with my current all-in-one box home theater package:
Onkyo HT-S4505 (pdf date sheet here)

My second question is, if the above speakers are compatible, which one will you recomend?

Klipsch Reference RC-42 II

JBL ES25CBK

I am also open to any other center speaker recomendations around the same price range.

My room layout is 5meters X 3.50meters (16feet x 10feet)

Many thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Both speakers are 8 ohms and so are compatible with the Onkyo. The Klipsch has a 95 sensitivity vs the JBL's 90, so while both stats are fine, the Klipsch will be louder.

Mixing speakers on the front is not advised, because you want the same general sound as the scene moves from right to left. However, both of those speakers are upgrades to what you have now, so if you consider it working upgrade with the idea that you'll also replace the left/right at some point, you'll be good.

Which one to pick is completely subjective, it comes down to taste. You should try to listen to each one first. If you can't, start with the one that can most easily be returned.

Last thing to note, Klipsch uses a horn tweeter. Some people find horns too grating, some love them for their "punch". You'll probably have an opinion one way or the other, so again, definitely listen to a horn first if you can.

pstephanou

Auditioning
Real Name
Panayiotis
Hello Al Anderson,

Many thanks for your answer. I did not know that it could play an important factor for the front speakers as well. I will most defenately have to upgrade the whole speaker system slowly because I fall into the trap of buying an all-in-one theater system as I believed that due to my room size it would be sufficient. However after setting it up it doesnt feel right, there is no clarity even after I went through the Audyseey calibration + manual calibration using an Sound Level Meter.
That why I would like to start upgrading starting with the center piece. Is there anything else I have to take into consideration before making the purchase?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Pre-package(which is what 4505 is) speakers suck.Have you checked your local Craigslist or eBay(you can search ebay by distance)?The issue with the Klipsch is you'll have to create around a 20db difference for the sound to be "equal" volume wise.I would buy all 3 at the same time, seriously. Even if you had to buy used.Another new option...BIC DV 62 and 52clrs. All three of those will cost less than the options you provided.

pstephanou

Auditioning
Real Name
Panayiotis
Thanks schan1269 for your advice as well.
My biggest drawback is that im short on budget, for now only a center speaker is what I can achieve.
If I go with the JBL option will i still need to create a 20db difference on the amp?
I have also checked the speakers you recomended, but since I live in Europe unfortunately shipping and taxes will cost more than the speakers themselves.

pstephanou

Auditioning
Real Name
Panayiotis
While I was looking around at Amazon for front speakers, I have found the JBL Control One.
If I buy these speakers with the JBL center speaker mentioned above, I am still in my budget.
Is that a wise purchase or do I have to look for something better?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Control One's are 4" and while they're better that the satellites you have now, are not ideal for a 16x10 room.
More importantly, they don't match the center channel you're looking at. The front three should be from the same line, not just the same manufacturer.
Truth be told, unless your immediate problem is not picking up dialog, I'd find the set you want and get the left/right first, and run without the center for a while. (Sam's suggestion to get them all at the same time is also good, but if you can't, you can't. And between choosing a better speaker or getting them all at the same time, I'd choose the better speaker.)

pstephanou

Auditioning
Real Name
Panayiotis
Once again thanks for your input as I am now avoiding huge mistakes if I rushed into buying.
Klipsch line seems a bit expensive for me if I buy the fronts as well.
If I go with the JBL centre, is the JBL ES20 fronts considered as the same line?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yes, I think if you stay with the "ES" line you're in the same series.

I also noticed that they have 4" ES bookshelfs. So you could stay in the line and go smaller to save money. If this holds your budget, then what you could go that route, and then at some later point get the 5" ES's and move the 4 inchers to the surround position. (By the way, it's not *as* important to have the surrounds/rears the same series; but it's always nice.)

pstephanou

Auditioning
Real Name
Panayiotis
Many thanks to both of your for your help. Taking all of the above into consideration I will go with the JBL line and wait a bit to save more money and get all three speakers together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks