What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Possessed -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

These Few Words are in regard to the 1947 Possessed, directed by Curtis Bernhardt, as opposed to (and not to be confused with) the 1931 Possessed, starring Joan Crawford and Clark Gable.

No relationship between the two films, even though both feature Ms Crawford.

There should also be no confusion with Repossessed, starring Linda Blair and Leslie Nielsen, nor the other repossession / sci-fi drama, Repo Man.

Warner Archive hits another bulls-eye with Possessed (1947), as they've returned to the original nitrate camera negative, which dazzles in reproduction on Blu-ray of Joseph Valentine's cinematography.  For those who may not know Mr. Valentine's work, think The Wolfman, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, and if you want to go back a bit, the extraordinary 7th Heaven (1927).

Captured at 4k resolution, at times the imagery is almost too sharp, as the grain structure has been so perfectly captured.

I'm not complaining.

A few more words adds another rating with this commentary.  To makes things a bit clearer, there will now be an overall rating of Pass or Fail for releases.  As explanation, there may be problems with elements, or a bit more digital clean-up may be in order, but if neither the elements nor lack of perfection hamper overall enjoyment...

Think some Warner Archive DVD releases, or possibly Shout Factory, Olive, Kino Lorber, Twilight Time -- situations where the releasing entity is relatively locked to the master they've accessed.

In this way, I can note problems, without giving a release a black eye.

See where this going?

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass/Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Waiting for my shipped copy to arrive from Amazon...looking very much forward to checking out a classic Joan Crawford acting performance...thanks for the positive review, Robert!!! :thumbsup:

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I heartily concur with Mr. Harris' comments. We watched this disc last night, and it is an outstanding Blu-ray achievement. Clean and crystal clear with beautiful and fearless Miss Crawford giving an outstanding performance. Another superb release from by the archive squad at Warner Brothers.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, but I think it's safe to say that Warner Archive is quickly getting a reputation for top shelf presentations. No hesitation at all in buying their discs :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Harris said:
A few more words adds another rating with this commentary. To makes things a bit clearer, there will now be an overall rating of Pass or Fail for releases. As explanation, there may be problems with elements, or a bit more digital clean-up may be in order, but if neither the elements nor lack of perfection hamper overall enjoyment...

Think some Warner Archive DVD releases, or possibly Shout Factory, Olive, Kino Lorber, Twilight Time -- situations where the releasing entity is relatively locked to the master they've accessed.

In this way, I can note problems, without giving a release a black eye.

See where this going?
I approve of this. This is especially helpful for the growing number of 3rd party distributors that don't have the budget to do full restorations (i.e. remove every single particle of dust) and are very dependent on the quality of the elements of each film they use for their new HD video masters.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm not a Joan Crawford fan by any means but I'll buy this disc as the quality is so high. I haven't seen this film for at least twenty-five years.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Wow! Finally got around to buying and watching Possessed. One of Joan Crawford's very greatest performances. Maybe in the top five? Or top three? Amazing picture quality. Feels like opening night in 1947. Highly recommended.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Possessed is now on sale for c. $8 at Amazon.

full.possessed-1sh-16349__26930.1425076314.1280.1280.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Possessed really worked for me as a double feature after watching Mildred Piece. Things you speculated about in the earlier movie actually come to pass in the later movie. The sets for Possessed are lavish and beautiful, and the sound design is really nicely done. This was a huge box office success in 1947, and one of a series of hit movies about mental health issues that seemed to start with Hitchcock's Spellbound in 1945. Notice the perceptive choice of a Modigliani painting in the background of one scene as Crawford's character declines. Anyway, Crawford is towering in this one, but also excellent are Van Heflin, Raymond Massey, and Geraldine Brooks.

Given the things the main character does in Possessed, it is amazing how she keeps the sympathy of the audience almost throughout.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Possessed really worked for me as a double feature after watching Mildred Piece. Things you speculated about in the earlier movie actually come to pass in the later movie. The sets for Possessed are lavish and beautiful, and the sound design is really nicely done. This was a huge box office success in 1947, and one of a series of hit movies about mental health issues that seemed to start with Hitchcock's Spellbound in 1945. Notice the perceptive choice of a Modigliani painting in the background of one scene as Crawford's character declines. Anyway, Crawford is towering in this one, but also excellent are Van Heflin, Raymond Massey, and Geraldine Brooks.

Given the things the main character does in Possessed, it is amazing how she keeps the sympathy of the audience almost throughout.

Two great films and two great blu-rays.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Yep. Glad to have both of them. Wish more of her Warners output were on Blu-ray.

THE LITTLE FOXES [ william wyler ] has just been released in Spain on SONY...the picture and sound are excellent and this is a legitimate release and NOT a bootleg. also at the same time on SONY was released : WINCHESTER 73 and again top quality . Both are Bluray releases in case anyone was wondering and both have English sub-titles and both have English as spoken .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks