What's new

Criterion's Recent Fold-Out Inserts (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A few of the more recent Criterion titles have featured inserts that unfold like brochures, rather than coming as booklets. I find this an unfortunate choice, and I hope it is not going to be a trend. Perhaps it is cheaper to produce inserts this way, but one has to have a fairly lengthy space in order to lay these out flat. Frankly, it's a poor substitute for the beautiful booklets they are so well known for. This is just about the first criticism I have ever been able to post about their otherwise great work.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
If I'm not mistaken, weren't the majority of Criterion's early DVD inserts also foldout booklets?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Allansfirebird said:
If I'm not mistaken, weren't the majority of Criterion's early DVD inserts also foldout booklets?
Perhaps so (I don't recall), but I nonetheless find these fold-outs to be second-rate.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I think Allan is correct about the majority of Criterion's early DVDs having foldouts instead of booklets. I also think that the recent titles having foldouts is due to the abandoning of the dual-format releases, which, packaging-wise, were economical enough to produce that most releases got bigger booklets than they ordinarily would have received. (I seriously doubt Zatoichi would have got the book and packaging it got if it were separate DVD and Blu-ray releases.) But people had to bitch about dual-format and we are where we are.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Foldouts? Some of the early Criterions were literally one double sided sheet!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks