What's new

Looking for LED VGA TV (1 Viewer)

dhinged

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave H
I have a Samsung 46" LN46A550P3F LCD TV with a VGA port connected to a Dell Inspiron 530s slim PC and I want to upgrade the TV to LED but I can't find any new LED TVs with VGA ports. The PC is maxed out on its power supply and it's questionable whether I could get an HDMI card to work with it (some video cards worked and others didn't, though I haven't tried an HDMI card yet and I'm afraid I'll be playing wack-a-mole with it). The PC runs fine and I have no other reason to upgrade, though I am looking into other options (even a NUC or something like that with an IR blaster and remote for Windows might work better). I am afraid of Windows 8 at this point so I'm not sure what I lose if I use 7.

Can someone recommend a comparable LED TV that I can make work with a VGA port? I'd like a comparable Samsung to the one I have (I skipped upgrading when they were out just for financial reasons), or even just a good-quality LED that I can rely on that will last at least 5 years. I've heard big-screen TVs nowadays are just not built to last like they used to be. I don't need 120Hz or 3-D (though 3-D would be nice), just enough ports for the computer, a video player, and a game station. I've been sadly disappointed at the options on the store shelves right now.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
dhinged said:
I have a Samsung 46" LN46A550P3F LCD TV ... I want to upgrade the TV to LED but I can't find any new LED TVs with VGA ports.
"LED" TVs are LCD TVs. The display technology is exactly the same - LCD. "LED" simply refers to the backlight of the display - LED bulbs instead of CCFL bulbs.

Other than the lack of "LED" in the name, is there another reason you're unhappy with your current display?

dhinged

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave H
Jason Charlton said:
"LED" TVs are LCD TVs. The display technology is exactly the same - LCD. "LED" simply refers to the backlight of the display - LED bulbs instead of CCFL bulbs.

Other than the lack of "LED" in the name, is there another reason you're unhappy with your current display?
Maybe you're not aware but when TVs were "just" LCD they were called LCD, and when LEDs came out those were referred to as LED. When I say "I want to upgrade to LED from LCD", that doesn't mean "I want to upgrade to a non-LCD LED TV", it means "I want to upgrade to an LED TV from the non-LED LCD TV that I have". Your contention is completely unnecessary because you've taken it out of context and made a hair-splitting assertion.

CNET reference "just-LCD" as just "LCD" in a comparison between Plasma, LED, and LCD TVs. This was not an uncommon way of referring to these different types of TVs, and I'm sure they'd be just annoyed as me at having to refer to or read "CCFL-LCDs and LED-LCDs".

http://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

The reason I want to upgrade to an LED TV is because the blacks are better and I don't have to be bothered so much by an all-encompassing backlight, simply because of LED's technology. The exact specifics of what that technology is doesn't concern me, I just want a TV that looks better. I understand how just-LCD phone screens look compared to LED phone screens and IPS phone screens and TFT and IPS just-LCD and IPD LED blah blah blah. All I know is LED TVs look better than my just-LCD non-LED TV, period, and I want one with a VGA port, which means a useful recommendation would be to point to a TV that actually has these specifications rather than patronize my not-completely-specific usage of the LED even though the fact that it's still LCD really has no bearing on what I'm looking for since the point is to upgrade to an LED TV because it looks better.

dhinged

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave H
Jason Charlton said:
Yes, and my concern is that I've had problems with converters like this (I actually have one and it doesn't work on one laptop but did on another, and I had no reason to test on my TV since it has a VGA port). The complications here seem easily remedied by just a compatible TV where I don't have to worry about adapters, and I was specifically looking for the best LED (I don't care if it's actually LCD) TV replacement for my current model (which is non-LED LCD) by the same manufacturer, but apparently it's just better to try to find it myself than expect any useful recommendations from a board built around home theater TV and its "experts".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
VGA doesn't support 1080P. That is why VGA no longer exists on anything larger than 32.And "we"(along with AVS and B-R.com) nag people when they say "LED TV"(not the consumers fault. The misinformation blame falls at the feet of Samstung and Crapizio).CNET reviews deserve to be written on toilet paper...and post haste used...(yes, I know not a popular opinion. But when web review sites fire their reviewers...)And whatever your content is can be handled over wifi via Chromecast, Roku, ATV or pretty much any wifi BD player. I haven't bought a computer without HDMI in 7 years.In short...upgrade your computer...before you upgrade the TV(and I'd wait till April to buy a TV anyway. UHD will be set in stone and any "new" 1080P sets after April will be even less expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks