What's new

New Retro TV Channel - Decades (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It had occurred to me before that you could have a retro channel with a different lineup on different nights of the week. I am surprised that it has taken this long. Hopefully, this will lead to more old CBS shows being remastered.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Let me know when they put it on direcTV. Otherwise, it's a niche within a niche. Subchannels are no good if you live outside the city and immediate suburbs because the line-of-sight digital channel degrades and therefore is simply blank. Folks outside the cities and suburbs are in satellite/cable zone. Over-the-air has become a niche, and subchannels are a niche within that niche.

I'll be very interested if it ever gets to satellite, but by then it will have probably degraded into the waste of a channel that TVLand has become.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Marketed as "the ultimate TV time machine," the programming service will be available on CBS' local stations' digital subchannels and some local cable stations beginning in 2015.
That actually gives me hope since our local CBS carries ME-TV as an affiliate on a subchannel, but it's actually aired as part of our local package on Directv.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
It is strange that Me-TV is creating a rival for itself using CBS' programming.

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator
rmw650 said:
Here in Chicago, it'll probably be added as a subchannel to the WCIU-TV array of channels as either 26-6 OR on 23-3 to help replace the simulcast of ME-TV on that said channel 23-3
It'll be on a subchannel of WBBM in Chicago, as CBS O&Os will have first priority to carry it.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I hope they will expand their library as the evergreens are wearing very thin IMO. They have already been on every cable network thus far since the '80s and most are complete on DVD.

Leave Lucy, Andy and Fonzie alone for awhile and bring back Alice, Chico, The Hogan Family and those shows that seem to be hiding away.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Kasey said:
I hope they will expand their library as the evergreens are wearing very thin IMO. They have already been on every cable network thus far since the '80s and most are complete on DVD.

Leave Lucy, Andy and Fonzie alone for awhile and bring back Alice, Chico, The Hogan Family and those shows that seem to be hiding away.
I agree. Garth Ancier is behind this and after looking at a more extensive view of their programming plans, only one thought comes to mind....same crap, different network.
There are so many lesser-seen properties from these decades that could be considered as opposed to trotting out the same old "classics" that are run endlessly and are readily available on DVD without banners, on-screen bugs, commercials, squeeze credits and hacked up for syndication length.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Sounds good more channels like that worldwide, please. Let's hope things keep their original picture ratio, cropping classic telly would make no sense... :blink:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Kasey said:

This is a CBS owned channel - We're only going to see CBS/Viacom/Paramount Television/Desiliu/Perhaps Republic Television-Spelling Television MaterialSo don't expect shows from other libraries like like the ones you mentioned.I do think we'll see OUR MISS BROOKS on the new channel. Other shows from the library not seen in decades, who knows. "You Are There" would meet E/I Requirements,and there is the color 1970's series (17 episodes I think) The involvement with Wiegel makes sense - they have licensed a chunk of the CBS,etc library and they would have to work-modify existing contracts to get access to series they have already licensed out to them.Does make you wonder if there will be market substitutions-blackouts on MeTV in the CBS markets running the same shows that are on MeTV (Some markets get substitution on Andy Griffith with Mayberry,RFD in markets that have stations that still have the rights.)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I want to see "You Are There," but I would rather see ME-TV release a second version of itself with the shows "that have been hiding away." It might be new to the audience who haven't seen it before." I prefer nearly anything in the sixties and seventies to anything today.James

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
This could be one of the best things to happen. CBS has been willing to look at their older properties, but getting the films transferred often only gets budgeted in with DVD releases. For less popular or lesser know titles - which may not sell enough on DVD to justify the cost - it becomes a dead end. This new network could provide the financing needed to get the old stuff out of the vaults. I believe Our Miss Brooks is being prepped for broadcast on this channel, and rumor has it that December Bride may possibly get the same treatment. If this turns out to be successful I would be ecstatic.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
JamesSmith said:
I want to see "You Are There," but I would rather see ME-TV release a second version of itself with the shows "that have been hiding away." It might be new to the audience who haven't seen it before." I prefer nearly anything in the sixties and seventies to anything today.James
MeTV just started a second version of itself a few weeks ago called Heroes & Icons. I have been recording The Millionaire - 2 episodes per day, 5 days a week, starting at the beginning of Season 1.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Tom.W

Second Unit
JMas said:
MeTV just started a second version of itself a few weeks ago called Heroes & Icons. I have been recording The Millionaire - 2 episodes per day, 5 days a week, starting at the beginning of Season 1.
JMas, Can you tell me when The Millionaire is on?

Thanks.

Tom.W

Second Unit
JMas said:
I found it: 5:00AM & 5:30AM EDT. Thanks for the info, though. They're airing Broken Arrow too.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Tom.W said:
JMas, Can you tell me when The Millionaire is on?

Thanks.
The Millionaire airs 2 episodes from 5 AM to 6 AM Eastern Time.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
rmw650 said:
That channel popped up without any fanfare about 2 weeks ago...some good stuff on there but their pixelation problems are just an atrocity right now on that station.
I've only run into pixelation problems one morning since I started recording The Millionaire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks