What's new

Blueray projector for outside (1 Viewer)

Frankie_D

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
I am looking to purchase a projector to allow the kids to watch movies outside in the evening. I hope not to spend more than $400. Is it realistic to hope to get something that can stream Netflix or bluetooth from my DVD player? Is it realistic to hope to get a semi-clear picture without spending a ton of money? Any starting points would be appreciated.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Title says "blue ray player" - but questions asked says "DVD player"

Blue ray can output 1080 lines of resolution - but DVD only can do 480. Assuming the question is about DVD player - answer below:

Looking for a projector for outdoor use - so needs to have built in speakers. Most projectors do not have internal speakers in them, and rely on receivers/external speakers for the sound.

I searched the Projector people site - and the cheapest they had listed for "Outdoor theater" was a BenQ model for: $699.00 - this is a high def model and would be great for what you want - but is over the budget.

-- If you are only planning on using a DVD player - then you don't need a high def model - something that does 480 resolution will work.

The ultra cheap InFocus one that still has an hdmi connection goes for $289.00 - but you will need to get something else to handle the sound.

Something cheap you could use a boom box and hook the audio out from the projector into the boom box/portable noise maker. You still need something to project the image on - but a white wall or make your own screen comes to mind when wanting to keep the cost down.

"Is it realistic to hope to get something that can stream Netflix or bluetooth from my DVD player?"

If your DVD player is doing the streaming - then any projector that can through up a picture from the player will work. There is no difference to the projector where the signal is coming from - a DVD in the player or a streaming option that is run through the player.

" Is it realistic to hope to get a semi-clear picture without spending a ton of money? Any starting points would be appreciated."

You will be going outside with the projector - and the less external light sources the better for a projected picture - so any external light source will effect what you are seeing.

If you are expecting a movie theater like high def presentation then you will be disappointed for your budget - if you want to have the kids friends over for a movie night where they just want to watch and listen to something - then you will be OK with a cheap projector and something for the sound (boom box). You also have to have somewhere comfortable enough to sit through whatever movie you want to show (portable chairs may get you buy - if they are comfortable enough) - would not recommend throwing a blanked on the ground and sitting on it through an entire movie.

I used to take the regular work projectors and show movies at lunch time - and it was watchable with a regular work level (non high def) projector. It worked as a weekly social event and you could watch/listen to the movie and see/hear what was going on.

I now have a dedicated and light controlled home theater, and there is no comparison between the quality of the two...sight and sound is just so much better.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I am looking to purchase a projector to allow the kids to watch movies outside in the evening. I hope not to spend more than $400. Is it realistic to hope to get something that can stream Netflix or bluetooth from my DVD player? Is it realistic to hope to get a semi-clear picture without spending a ton of money? Any starting points would be appreciated.
What will you do for sound? Do you want a projector with built-in speakers?Do you have a Blu-ray player that streams Netflix?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks