What's new

Non-Anamorphic DVDs that you would like to see on bluray. (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
There are some very good movies that are not even in anamorphic on dvd. I started to watch MICHAEL COLLINS on dvd and It just makes me sick that I have to watch it that way. I guess Warner dosent care much about this fine film. Another film that comes to mind is MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Trying to think of titles from the early days of DVD before 16:9 enhancement became standard. Fox and Disney come to mind as the studios who delayed implementing anamorphic enhancement. Universal was pretty good for new releases, but kind of sketchy for catalog. Warner and Columbia Tri-Star supported it for the most part. Paramount was on / off / on again as I recall.

I'll start with two of the most obvious choices that get discussed all the time on the HTF...

True Lies
The Abyss

Other ones that come to mind include:

Breakdown - Pretty solid thriller with Kurt Russell, and the late, great J.T. Walsh.
Bulworth - Haven't seen this in forever but liked it theatrically.
Career Opportunities - Jennifer Connelly in that white top.
Coogan's Bluff - Relatively early Eastwood film that serves as a late '60s time capsule in some ways.
Eve's Bayou - Great, great film that really needs to see the light of day on Blu-Ray. (Trimark release.)
Freeway - Re-released on DVD but still without 16x9 enhancement, despite claims to the contrary on the case.
Kundun - Would really like to see this one. Some beautiful uses of color that would look magnificent on Blu-Ray.
Quiz Show - Quality film that really needs a Blu-Ray.
Six Days, Seven Nights - Nothing special, but the locations would look nice in HD.
Snake Eyes - I think there is an all-region release for this title on Blu-Ray outside the U.S.

Obviously a lot, lot more but those are a few that I'm fairly certain fit the criteria.

- Walter.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Walter Kittel said:
Kundun - Would really like to see this one. Some beautiful uses of color that would look magnificent on Blu-Ray.
Quiz Show - Quality film that really needs a Blu-Ray.

Oh God, certainly.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Mountains of the Moon and Michael Collins are top of my list too; Coogan's Bluff was released in anamorphic as part of Universal's Clint Eastwood: American Icon collection. Watched it last year again, and like a fair bit of early Eastwood (Eiger Sanction anyone?) it has very dated attitudes, quite sexist. I think that some of that early 70s sexism, at least in the movies, was partly defensive, i.e., people knew it was changing, and didn't know quite how to react to it. Oh yeah, almost forgot, Kundun too needs a proper release. Hollywood Films was the official DVD releaser of that one, and like almost all their DVD releases, it was non-anamorphic, as they changed over I think later than almost everyone else. Wilder Napalm too, was released as late as 2002 in non-anamorphic, and Shadowlands (another great Winger performance) likewise, from HBO films, who I think was also a late adopter for anamorphic coding.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The following films in my collection are non anamorphic so I would love to upgrade to either anamorphic DVD or blu ray. I replaced many non anamorphic titles with their R2 anamorphic counterparts.

The Abyss
Always
American President
Angels And Insects
Anna Lucasta
The Apostle
Assassination In Rome
Baby Boom
Bad Man's River
Barocco
Beautiful Girls
Beloved
Best Man
Betrayed (1988)
Beverly Hills Brats
Beyond All Limits
Bird On A Wire
Birdman Of Alcatraz
Black Tights
Blue Bird
Boy On A Dolphin
Brave One
Bride Wore Black
Bridge At Remagen
Bullets Over Broadway
The Burglars
Burn
By Love Possessed
Cabo Blanco
Cage Aux Folles II
Camille Claudel
The Caretakers
Carve Her Name With Pride
Cat And The Canary (1978)
Celebrity
Chalk Garden
La Chamade
Chato's Land
Cherry Orchard
Child Is Waiting
Coming Soon
Company Of Wolves
Cookie's Fortune
Countess Dracula
Cousin Bette
Creature From The Haunted Sea
The Cremators
Crime Of Passion
Crossplot
Cry Freedom
Custer Of The West
Dancing At The Blue Iguana
Day Of The Jackal
Day The World Ended
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Dead Of Winter
Deadlier Than The Male
Death In the Garden
Deception (Ruby Cairo)
Defense Of The Realm
Defiant Ones
Devil's Brigade
Diplomatic Siege
Divine Madness
Doctor In Distress
Dog Eat Dog
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Dress Code
Eiger Sanction
Eight On The Lam
Electra
Elvira Madigan
Emma
The End
The Entertainer
Era A Notte Roma
Espionage In Tangiers
Eva
Eye Of The Needle
F/X
Fail Safe (2000)
Fatal Beauty
Ferry To Hong Kong
First Wives Club
Five Golden Hours
Five Miles To Midnight
Flamingo Kid
Flowers Of Shanghai
Follow That Dream
Fort Apache The Bronx
Frankie And Johnny (1966)
Freeway
Freud
From Dusk Till Dawn
Fuzz

Well, I'll stop for now .....

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A few weeks ago I tried watching Deadlier Than The Male which I hadn't watched for years. I'd forgotten it wasn't anamorphic! I've now given it away.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, many of the old MGM non-anamorphic releases like Judgment at Nuremberg and Witness for the Prosecution are being taken care of by Twilight Time and Kino. But, I'd still like to see proper Blu-rays of:

Sleuth
Tom Jones
The Miracle Worker
Inherit the Wind
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
The Hound of the Baskervilles

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Walter Kittel said:
Trying to think of titles from the early days of DVD before 16:9 enhancement became standard. Fox and Disney come to mind as the studios who delayed implementing anamorphic enhancement. Universal was pretty good for new releases, but kind of sketchy for catalog. Warner and Columbia Tri-Star supported it for the most part. Paramount was on / off / on again as I recall.I'll start with two of the most obvious choices that get discussed all the time on the HTF...True LiesThe AbyssOther ones that come to mind include:Breakdown - Pretty solid thriller with Kurt Russell, and the late, great J.T. Walsh.Bulworth - Haven't seen this in forever but liked it theatrically.Career Opportunities - Jennifer Connelly in that white top.Coogan's Bluff - Relatively early Eastwood film that serves as a late '60s time capsule in some ways.Eve's Bayou - Great, great film that really needs to see the light of day on Blu-Ray. (Trimark release.)Freeway - Re-released on DVD but still without 16x9 enhancement, despite claims to the contrary on the case.Kundun - Would really like to see this one. Some beautiful uses of color that would look magnificent on Blu-Ray.Quiz Show - Quality film that really needs a Blu-Ray.Six Days, Seven Nights - Nothing special, but the locations would look nice in HD.Snake Eyes - I think there is an all-region release for this title on Blu-Ray outside the U.S.Obviously a lot, lot more but those are a few that I'm fairly certain fit the criteria.- Walter.
If you're talking about DePalma's Snake Eyes, there was a U.S. Blu-Ray release.And I will second your note on Breakdown, great film that's long overdue on Blu.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thomas T said:
The following films in my collection are non anamorphic so I would love to upgrade to either anamorphic DVD or blu ray. I replaced many non anamorphic titles with their R2 anamorphic counterparts.
American President
"American President" is now out on Blu-ray!

Some really great lists here, I'm not sure what I can add. I'd give another vote for "True Lies" and "The Abyss" - by now in the year 2014 there aren't many "holy grail" titles left for me that don't have a decent edition somewhere in some format, whether it's a DVD from another region, a Blu-ray, or even an Ultraviolet stream in HD. But those remain holy grail titles, having never even been given anamorphic DVD releases. I'd also add "Strange Days" to my list.

robbiesreels

Agent
Real Name
Bob Hermann
My Top Wants Are:

1- Breakdown 1997, Kurt Russell
2- Krakatoa, East Of Java 1969
3- Last Of The Dogmen, Tom Beranger
4- How To Succeed In Business With Out Really Trying
5- Runaway Train- region A Version
6- The Return Of A Man Called Horse
7- The Last Valley, Final 70mm
8- In Search Of The Castaways

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd also add "Strange Days" to my list.
Wow, how could I forget Strange Days? :thumbsup:

Easily one of my favorite films of the '90s despite some flaws in the final act. I haven't watched a Laser Disc in ages, but I remember really being impressed with the DTS Laser Disc for this film.

- Walter.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
With Disney's "Hercules" finally available on Blu-Ray, I'm now down to just True LivesThe Abyss--- and ---Star Wars (1977)Empire Strikes Back (1980)Return of the Jedi (1983)It's an absolute disgrace that these very popular titles have never had proper optical media releases!!Fortunately, there are rumors that we may get all five on BD in 2015!! (Of course, "True Lies" and "The Abyss" were also rumored for release in 2014 at about this time in 2013 ... *sigh*)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
Well, many of the old MGM non-anamorphic releases like Judgment at Nuremberg and Witness for the Prosecution are being taken care of by Twilight Time and Kino. But, I'd still like to see proper Blu-rays of:

Sleuth
Tom Jones
The Miracle Worker
Inherit the Wind
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
The Hound of the Baskervilles
TT is releasing Inherit the Wind on BD, 12-09-14.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks