What's new

Fury (2014) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw FURY at the RPX screen of my local Regal last night.

A WWII US tank crew which has been at war way too long and includes characters played by Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeuf, Michael Pena, and Jon Bernthal. After the death of a crew member, a very green new recruit played by Logan Lerman joins the crew.

This was a very good war movie with realistic violence and some grisly images.

The film was shot on Anamorphic 35mm, probably with the newer non-funky lenses as I didn't notice much in the way of lens distortion. Plenty of grain was visible on the bright screen, black levels could have been better.

Excellent sound design. Clear articulate dialog, very active surround field, and explosions you can feel. Even in the quiet dialog scenes the war is still present and you can hear gunfire and explosions at a distance from various locations.

I'd give this movie a solid B+.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
From my full review:
The visuals are disturbing, and some viewers may find the level of violence on display to be overkill. But, in truth, nothing underscores the film's core tenet — that war is hell (or as Wardaddy puts it, that "ideals are peaceful, [but] history is violent") — better than the grisly sight of a tank steamrolling over enemy trenches, crushing the heads of Nazi troops like so many plump grapes.The story is well-served by the memorable performances of its talented ensemble cast, as LaBeouf, Peña and Bernthal do well to make their characters resonate beyond the stereotypes Ayer writes them as (just look at the aching desperation and frustration in their eyes). If there are two characters that embody the principal dichotomy of the film, however, it's Wardaddy and Norman. Pitt completely owns his role as the leader of this wild bunch, vanishing beneath his character's jaded, battle-scarred (and oftentimes mud-caked) visage; while Lerman evokes crucial audience sympathy as his counterpoint, someone who enters the fray not knowing the totality of war, but who quickly learns of it firsthand.
4 out of 5. Fury is gritty, violent and unrelenting. It's a much darker kind of war film than moviegoers have been used to recently. Though it's relatively light on story, the main thrust of the film is to communicate to moviegoers the experience of war. And Ayer, Pitt and the rest of the actors do so brilliantly.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Very good film with fine performances by Pitt and the supporting cast. Good character development and very exciting set pieces with great production values and sound design. *** out of ****

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Fury Rocks! I saw this tonight. I am generally more of a catalog film person, and I only see a limited number of new releases, but this is really worthwhile. Although it's very violent, I do think that anyone who ever watched Patton or Battle of the Bulge and wondered what tank combat would really be like will find this very interesting as it's the best depiction of its kind, albeit a bit larger than life at times (such as the end). The film slows down in the middle as the tank crew spends time with two German woman, and that could have been much shorter. Yes, 4 out of 5. Very worth while seeing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree that scene went on too long and definitely could have been shortened and still have the same impact. Great first and third acts with a slow second but still a worthwhile trip to the theater on the biggest screen available.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't agree about the scene with the German women. Anyhow, one of the best "war" films in the last 20 years and certainly the best or one of the best tank films ever made.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What other tank films are there? Kelly's Heroes..The Beast.. ??

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
THE TANKS ARE COMING (1951), with Steve Cochran is pretty good.. They even made some effort to make the American tanks playing the German tanks look more like German tanks.

Not a war movie, but, THE STEEL LADY (1953) features adventurer Rod Cameron finding a German tank carrying treasure in a post war sand dune. American tank playing the German tank.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Crawford said:
You don't? I do since Lulu Belle is a main part of Sahara and Battle of the Bulge is shown as a tank battle.
It was a serious question as I haven't seen either of those tho I Do own Battle. Must remedy that asap.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino said:
It was a serious question as I haven't seen either of those tho I Do own Battle. Must remedy that asap.
I didn't know you haven't see those two films. Yes, they're "war" films in which tanks play a major role in both films. By the way, I'm talking about Sahara (1943) film starring Bogie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Saw Fury last night. I liked it a lot. It was a little short on character development (perhaps that was the intent). But the main story is War is deadly. People get killed. They kill you or you kill them.

And yes the German girls scene bothered the hell outta me. Went on too long and made me really hate some of the characters. Bothered me.

The final 45 min or so was epic and well played.

Solid 8/10.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They definitely could have trimmed 5 minutes from the scene with the 2 girls, and yes, it made me hate some of the characters.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm reading too much into the scene with the German girls but I had a different take on it. When the crew is inside the tank they're like family and care very much about each other. When they're outside of the tank and not in battle they don't necessarily like each other and I thought the meal scene reinforced that. I couldn't understand why they were such a-holes to one another after being like family inside the tank.

Anyway, I really liked the movie. Great final battle as well as the 4 on 1 fight with the German tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks