What's new

The Majestic (2001) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Done and thanks! Now I won't have to order the Frank Darabont Collection!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
43523_front.jpg

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
February 24 can't get here fast enough for me! This, despite the fact that I already own a HD digital download copy (iTunes) of 'The Majestic'. There's just something special about owning the physical disc in a case with cover art! It makes movie collecting and ownership more tangible. It's part of the magic of collecting the movies that you love!

'The Majestic' is my all-time favorite movie. It pushes all of my buttons. Love, romance, family, father/son relationship, hope, humor, happiness and, not the least of which, the love and magic of watching/enjoying movies! I feel it's the finest performance of Jim Carrey's career and everyone else does a terrific job as well!

February 24, hurry up and get here! :)

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I finally own 'The Majestic' on Blu-ray! :banana:

I skipped around comparing scenes on the Blu-ray to the digital HD copy I purchased from iTunes 2 years ago. The Blu-ray is cropped just a little bit tighter (nothing significant), the Blu-ray's color looks a tad more accurate to me (the digital HD copy looks slightly too yellow by comparison, making reds tend toward orange-red), and the Blu-ray looks more like film to me (the digital HD copy seems too sharp in some areas, particularly background objects). The sharpness differences might actually be some compression issues (artifacts) in the iTunes digital HD version, which is only 6.6GB in size where the Blu-ray is reportedly about 36GB in size.

I am very pleased with the image and sound! And, of course, it's my favorite movie of all time. FINALLY on Blu-ray!

We are showing it (along with 'The Theory of Everything') in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater this weekend! :dancing-banana-04:

Mark

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I watched it last night and was quite pleased. The shots of the restored marque lit up look pretty fantastic.

The movie still works for me (especially Landau), but I can see a bit more why it wouldn't for others. It's a bit too long and a bit too schmaltzy, but its Capra-ness wins me over.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Good movie. This kind of quality at such a reasonable price is irresistible.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'The Majestic' is set in the early '50s, during Hollywood's Golden Age. That is a huge part of its appeal. Back when there was no such thing as a cineplex, no such thing as stadium seating, when every theater had red or gold curtains that actually opened and closed between screenings, when the box office was a separate little room out in front of the theater entrance, when theaters had a balcony, and when people actually got a little dressed up to go to the movies. The theater in the movie represents EXACTLY the type of theater where I saw my very first movie (at an indoor theater) at the age of 10. That film was 'Fantastic Voyage' (and some B-movie that I don't remember).

Not only is 'The Majestic' set in that era, it CELEBRATES that era. I don't know how any dyed-in-the-wool movie nut (particularly those in their 50s or 60s) can watch it and not fall completely in love with it.

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I must have watched The Majestic on DVD several years ago and just forgot about it.

I have it sitting in my collection, with the shrink-wrap off. A good indication it has been watched.

I am not particularly a Jim Carrey fan. Wasn't immensely impulsed to buy this film on Blu-ray when it was announced earlier this year, but with all the positive comments from the HTF membership, I took a chance and made a blind purchase.

Sat down to watch this morning, and just finished a few minutes ago.

Really enjoyed this movie. It has the feel of an American classic. Very well made. Carrey is superb in this film -- and coming from me that is quite a compliment.

The Blu-ray presentation looked and sounded excellent.

Very happy I had the opportunity to watch this film. Would never have happened without the "buzz" from the membership here. Thank You, all!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ronald Epstein said:
I must have watched The Majestic on DVD several years ago and just forgot about it.

Don't you log the movies you watch? I have a movie log that goes all the way back to 1981. There is no way I could remember each and every movie I have watched if it weren't for my documentation.

I don't remember the specifics of The Majestic, but I know I watched it over a decade ago and that I liked it. The Blu-ray is sitting in my "to be watched" pile. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:

I have it sitting in my collection, with the shrink-wrap off. A good indication it has been watched.

I am not particularly a Jim Carrey fan. Wasn't immensely impulsed to buy this film on Blu-ray when it was announced earlier this year, but with all the positive comments from the HTF membership, I took a chance and made a blind purchase.

Sat down to watch this morning, and just finished a few minutes ago.

Really enjoyed this movie. It has the feel of an American classic. Very well made. Carrey is superb in this film -- and coming from me that is quite a compliment.

The Blu-ray presentation looked and sounded excellent.

Very happy I had the opportunity to watch this film. Would never have happened without the "buzz" from the membership here. Thank You, all!

Hooked another one! :)

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks