What's new

Theatrical Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: Captain America: Civil War

Tagline: Divided We Fall

Genre: Adventure, Action, Science Fiction

Director: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo

Cast: Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Don Cheadle, Jeremy Renner, Chadwick Boseman, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Rudd, Emily VanCamp, Tom Holland, Daniel Brühl, Frank Grillo, William Hurt, Martin Freeman, Marisa Tomei, John Kani, John Slattery, Hope Davis, Alfre Woodard, Michael A. Cook, Laughton Parchment, Jackson Spidell, Yi Long, Heidi Moneymaker, Aaron Toney, Cale Schultz, Ann Russo, Gene Farber, Florence Kasumba, Cornell John, Sven Hönig, Joshua Peck, Brent McGee, Be Satrazemis, Blair Jasin, Oliver Bigalke, Rafael Banasik, David de Vries, Katie Amess, Austin Sanders, Brett Gentile, John Curran, Matthew Anderson, Andrew Botchwey, Chase Bradfield, Ernest Charles, Hendricks Coates, Ethan Condon, Shen Dynes, Nathaniel Ellis, Jariah Ferguson, Evan Ffrench, Justin Freeman, Ralphael Grand'Pierre, Julian Grimes, Aaron Hayes, Austin Hooper, Amiri Jones, Myles Joseph, Stephen Lewis, Jacob Ludwick, D'Mahrei McRae, Ashwin Mudaliar, Eli Ollinger, Parker Pape, Daniel Parada, Jonah Ruffin, Darryl Sampson, Cameron Sardone, Stanley Sellers, Miles Selles, Jacob Sung, Caden Wilkinson, Kim Scar, Jessica Walther-Gabory, Beniamino Brogi, Silvina Buchbauer, Henry Amadi, Ugochukwu Ani, Michael Anthony Rogers, Damion Poitier, Umar Khan, David E. Brown, Guy Fernandez, Jim Rash, Sophia Russo, Stan Lee, Amelia Morck, Kerry Condon, Julianna Guill, Surely Alvelo, Brian Schaeffer, Kevin LaRosa Jr., Al Cerullo, Frédéric North, Joe Russo, Ray Sahetapy, Chris Jai Alex, Scott Hunter, Kimberly Hester Huffstetler

Release: 2016-04-27

Runtime: 147

Plot: Following the events of Age of Ultron, the collective governments of the world pass an act designed to regulate all superhuman activity. This polarizes opinion amongst the Avengers, causing two factions to side with Iron Man or Captain America, which causes an epic battle between former allies.

Variety is reporting that Robert Downey Jr. is in negiotiations to reprise his role as Tony Stark as the VILLAIN of the third Captain America movie.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
What's so "civil" about war anyway?
image.jpg
This is pretty big news. If they are adapting the Civil War storyline, there will be significant ripples for the MCU for years to come. I LOVE that the Captain America movies seem to be the major, universe changing stories of the "solo" entries in the MCU now.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I suspect, though, that Cap 3 won't be a straight up Civil War adaptation. I think it will likely still be its own thing and incorporate the follow-up with Bucky along with elements of the aftermath of Age of Ultron. I suspect Stark will be mostly "Stark" and not so much "Iron Man", with possibly friction building between Stark and Rogers because Stark now knows that Hydra killed Howard Stark -and Barnes was Hydra- (from the information dump in The Winter Soldier) and wants to bring down Barnes while Rogers wants to help him. I could see elements of that story leading to the beginning of a Civil War adaptation that would be the focus possibly of an Avengers 3, with the Thanos/infinity war story being done in a fourth Avengers (not the third as has been speculated until now). But these are just guesses about the direction they might go. Ether way, I don't think anyone should be looking at the Civil War story from the comics and be concerned about things that don't fit with the MCU or that they didn't like about the storyline. One thing that I think should be very clear to fans of the comics and these movies is that they tend to use elements from comic stories to inspire new stories unique to the MCU.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sean Bryan said:
One thing that I think should be very clear to fans of the comics and these movies is that they tend to use elements from comic stories to inspire new stories unique to the MCU.
I really love that about Marvel's approach. I'm not a big comic reader anymore, but I've always been around people who were way more into the books than me, so a lot of the major stories and plot points I'm at least a little familiar with before the movie even starts. The thing with the Mandarin in "Iron Man 3" was, for me, a great example of how to keep things fresh. I don't want these movies to simply be a panel-by-panel exact remake of every comic book - it's nice to have some surprises and unexpected twists and turns. If everything was just a straight up adaptation of stories we've known for years or even decades exactly as they were first written, the movies would get pretty dull.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I never read "Civil War" but doesn't
Captain America get killed at the end?

I can see the attraction to filmmakers.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes Sam. That did happen in the comic storyline. I don't know if they'd do that in an MCU adaptation, but it's possible.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Was Sam's spoiler directly part of Civil War though? I thought it happened shortly afterwards when the characters were still dealing with the events of CW but it wasn't part of the actual series.

That being said, there's no chance that they'll use that part of the story.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not sure Travis. I haven't read those books myself. I'm just aware of the general storyline.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sean Bryan said:
I suspect, though, that Cap 3 won't be a straight up Civil War adaptation.I think it will likely still be its own thing and incorporate the follow-up with Bucky along with elements of the aftermath of Age of Ultron.I suspect Stark will be mostly "Stark" and not so much "Iron Man", with possibly friction building between Stark and Rogers because Stark now knows that Hydra killed Howard Stark -and Barnes was Hydra- (from the information dump in The Winter Soldier) and wants to bring down Barnes while Rogers wants to help him.
The Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 video game used the Civil Wars plot but chickened out and didn't end with shooting Cap. (Instead, they got distracted the story arc about controlling villains with nanobots, which take over, including the then-white Fury.)
It's likely they'll touch on the idea of idealistic conflict within the team--and then have an outside enemy to push off the issue--but...didn't Downey say he'd only do Iron Man for the Avengers movies, now that IM3's been written off? That also suggests it'll mostly be Stark vs. Rogers instead of Cap vs. Iron Man.

The producers like the idea of Cap's solo movies being psychologically and politically "complex" after 2, so idealistic conflicts are more likely to be the main plot, with a bit of Phase canon setup. Be honest, there's not too much interesting about Cap's powers, so they have to go with character.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Despite or perhaps because of my love for Winter Soldier I am a little concerned about the direction this one could be taking. I think there is a risk of it becoming too Iron Man/Stark centric. I think there are more than enough interesting ways to go from the way things ended in Winter Soldier. The Hydra/Shield situation, Bucky coming to terms with things, Rumlow, Agent 13 left plenty they could explore. I guess the Russos, Markus & McFeely should have earned my trust. I agree with Sean that the Captain America film again shifting the landscape and setting up events for Civil War and Avengers 3/4 is potentially very exciting.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Nigel P said:
I guess the Russos, Markus & McFeely should have earned my trust. I agree with Sean that the Captain America film again shifting the landscape and setting up events for Civil War and Avengers 3/4 is potentially very exciting.
One article raised another sticky point about adapting the Civil Wars plot for film--
It would be rather hard to address the problems of "secret-identity registration", when nobody in the MCU HAS a secret identity: :huh:
Tony came out in the first film, Cap is common knowledge, Thor's hard to miss, and the rest are SHIELD agents, and few other heroes even seem to exist in the Disney/Marvel universe yet.
(Spiderman, of course, was against registration, and it caused a wedge between the Fantastic Four, but...they don't work for Disney.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ejanss said:
One article raised another sticky point about adapting the Civil Wars plot for film--It would be rather hard to address the problems of "secret-identity registration", when nobody in the MCU HAS a secret identity: :huh:Tony came out in the first film, Cap is common knowledge, Thor's hard to miss, and the rest are SHIELD agents, and few other heroes even seem to exist in the Disney/Marvel universe yet.(Spiderman, of course, was against registration, and it caused a wedge between the Fantastic Four, but...they don't work for Disney.)
They wouldn't have to use identity registration. They could use something else. All they need is some issue dealing with heroes and the government. Maybe it could be something like a mandate to make all heroes operate under government control? wouldnt have to focus on identity, just "work for us or be arrested". Considering the whole mess with Hydra/SHIELD, I could see Cap being very against that. And maybe due to the colossal F-up of Ultron under Tony's initiative he decides that it's safer to just let the government run things since he mucks it up so badly. I wouldn't think Tony would take that stance before Age of Ultron, but considering what I think will happen in the film I could see him having a different view on things afterwards. Or something like that. With the exception of a few things like The Watchmen, most movies based on comic book story arcs usually just are inspired by certain elements. We might see a few events, set pieces exchanges of dialog that are lifted right from the comics, but generally the movies tend to take elements of comic stories and create something unique. So it doesn't need to be about secret identities (since there aren't many at this point, though Daredevil will be in the MCU (television) by next year and Ant-Man and Strange will be in the mix as well). And it wouldn't need Spider-Man, etc..That being said, there have been rumors of talks between Marvel and Sony about Spidey. Rumor is Sony isn't as confident in the property after the underperformance of TASM2 and that maybe they can reach a deal to bring Spidey into the MCU. Could be that they bring TASM Spidey in and mesh those two movies into the MCU, could be that they do a soft reboot (no new origin story) and recast with a new MCU spidey and Sony/Mrvel cofinance future solo pics. Could be all bullshit (which is most likely) which is why I never brought it up here before, but I suppose its possible.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Agreed the secret identities angle doesn't make sense in the MCU, but it could be another government/oversight angle. Looks like a few people might not be too happy with Tony after Age of Ultron, I wonder who is going to side with him in a potential civil war. The Bucky situation is also likely to be a little bit of an issue between the two as well. As long as we get Cap giving Iron Man a beat down in a Winter Soldier quality fight scene then I am good.

I would love those Spidey rumours to be true. Not sure which way I would prefer it to go, I like Garfield as Spidey, but that last one was a big disappointment.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Civil War it is!
image.jpg
Sounds like our thoughts on it being more about regulation than about revealing identities were on the mark.Says Kevin Fiege:
I don't want to give too much away, but needless to say, the generalities of the [Superhero Registration] act are the same. Something happens. Perhaps, it's culmative for things that have happened from all of the movies leading up to this point. As many of the governments of the world say, 'We need to have some oversight of these guys; They need to report to somebody'. So, it falls more under that umbrella versus 'take off your mask'. It's not about the secret identity thing as much as it is about overall who reports to who and who can agree to an oversight. Because of now, in Avengers 2, there is no more Security Council, obviously there is no more S.H.I.E.L.D. Stark is paying for it, Captain America is running it, and things occur that make governments began to question that

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Feige has recently said that it could be considered a Captain America movie and an Avengers movie. So I'm thinking a Cap-lead/Cap-Centric Avengers film.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks