What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Topkapi -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Jules Dassin's 1964 Topkapi is a far more comedic heist film than Mr. Dassin's earlier brilliant Rififi. 

Once again, the film has been transferred from a dupe -- either a negative or IP, and its age shows as occasional, but obvious wear.  Positive and negative dirt make appearances, along with light scratches.

In this case, I was taken out of an otherwise fun entertainment.

I'd love to see a bit cleaner transfer, but I doubt that the film was pay for itself.

Image - 3.25

Audio - 4

RAH

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I was especially dismayed at the opening shot. Luckily, it got a bit cleaner in parts, thank goodness. It's a shame, because it's such a beautiful, colorful film. In a perfect world, it would make a stunning blu-ray.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Pretty clear MGM hasn't taken very good care of this one, though it wasn't bad. Could have been much worse. 3.25/5 is an accurate score.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have the old dvd release from 2001 and then i saw it on the MGM HD channel last year and was a big improvement over the weak looking dvd but still not a sharp clean looking image as i hoped. Still a fun heist film with a great score and i hope another good heist film "Grand Slam" (1967) with Janet Leigh and Klaus Kinski gets a blu-ray release soon.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The DVD of this one looked pretty weak. So for me this blu-ray was a major upgrade and the best I've seen this film look. It is a fantastic film and the cast knocks this one out of the park. So, I highly recommend this film and this may be the best version we get for home viewing.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Reggie W said:
The DVD of this one looked pretty weak. So for me this blu-ray was a major upgrade and the best I've seen this film look. It is a fantastic film and the cast knocks this one out of the park. So, I highly recommend this film and this may be the best version we get for home viewing.
Agree. Just watched it. The first 5 minutes had me worried but picture improved greatly after that. I'm sure we'll never see this one look any better. Great film, glad to have it in my collection.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
But what was up with the SEVERELY windowboxed credits at the end? I thought I had accidentally hit the Aspect button on my remote for a minute. I don't recall ever seeing such an extreme windowboxing before on any title. It seemed like it was about 1/3 smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks