What's new

Anyone had problems with Sony STR- DN 1050 receiver? (1 Viewer)

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
Mine worked fine but packed up after two months.
Sony are replacing the unit with a new one.
My concern is whether I was simply unlucky to receive a unit with a faulty part or whether an entire batch are faulty.
If the latter, then my new receiver could go the same way.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you suffocate it to death in a cabinet?If no, everybody makes stuff that dies a quick death. While others of the same thing last years.A long time ago, I dated a woman that was a pharmaceutical rep. Company bought a new car every two years. She always wanted an AUDI. She received an A8, loaded to the gills.Promptly left her stranded at a doctor's office 400 miles from the closest dealership with...535 miled on the odometer.

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
I have just collected and connected the replacement unit.
This is what scares me. My downloaded 3D movies and music are on my portable hard drive which I connect to the USB port on my blu-ray player.
I started playing the music, the song details and duration are shown on the TV screen but after a few songs this info disappears and the blu-ray logo appears at the centre of the screen, then it appears briefly at different spots on the screen.
I immediately stopped the blu-ray because last time my receiver "popped" straight after
this happened. I need to establish whether this is normal or whether a faulty hard drive/blu-ray/USB could damage the receiver like happened last time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is probably the screen saver.No it shouldn't have done anything to the AVR. When you go to reselect something else...does screen saver disappear? How have you set the screen saver(if you have choices)? Does the BD player have anything other than HDMI so you can make a secondary audio connection and turn the TV off?(you can't turn the TV off while using HDMI, hence the screen saver)

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
You are totally correct. It is the blu-ray's screen saver. I switched it off and listened to my music. So far, so good. Here's hoping for years of problem free service from this receiver.

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
As I said earlier, I had just collected my replacement unit. That was four months ago.

It also packed up. First receiver - power system problem. This unit - HDMI board faulty.

No more Sony for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks