What's new

Might Disney Actually Pass Up the 60th Anniversary of 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I felt sure they would give us the Blu-ray of this by the end of the year. Disney is nearly fanatical about anniversary years to promote their re-issues, and you would think (as I believe I heard a 4k scan has been done) they would get this one out. It's as important a title to the studio as MARY POPPINS. So what's up?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick said:
I felt sure they would give us the Blu-ray of this by the end of the year. Disney is nearly fanatical about anniversary years to promote their re-issues, and you would think (as I believe I heard a 4k scan has been done) they would get this one out. It's as important a title to the studio as MARY POPPINS. So what's up?
I much as I want this title on BD and that I'm not a big fan of Mary Poppins, I have to disagree with you that this title is as important to the studio as Mary Poppins. It's not even close in my opinion.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Crawford said:
I much as I want this title on BD and that I'm not a big fan of Mary Poppins, I have to disagree with you that this title is as important to the studio as Mary Poppins. It's not even close in my opinion.
Well if you define "important" as "popular" then of course. But it is pretty high up on the list of Disney's best films.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This was always my favorite Disney Movie as a child and might still be now. Poppins is a close second. so 20,000 is extremely important to me.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Sad to say, but since the beginning of the high def era, Disney has allowed the 50th Anniversaries of almost all of their live action films to pass without a Blu-ray release. So nothing unusual about the way they're treating 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on its 60th anniversary.

However, I disagree that it isn't "important"...both to Disney and film history:

[*]Disney's 1st all live-action motion picture (other than shorts and documentaries).
[*]Also the 1st new full-length Disney film released by Buena Vista, Disney's own in-house distributor (instead of RKO).
[*]Also the 1st science fiction film produced by Walt Disney Productions, as well as the only science fiction film personally produced by Walt Disney.
[*]Also the 1st feature-length film to incorporate actual scuba diving.
[*]One of the few Walt-era pictures to use real exterior locations instead of the backlot (the Bahamas for underwater scenes, and Jamaica for the beach scenes).
[*]Among the earliest and best uses of CinemaScope, and one of the few productions outside of Fox to use their proprietary process so soon after its introduction.
[*]Directed by Richard Fleischer, son of Max, who was Disney's fiercest competitor during the golden era of animation (poaching many of the Fleischer Studio's key animation talent).
[*]Critically acclaimed, award winning, and a box office hit at the time (plus subsequent re-releases), and [arguably] the best Jules Verne screen adaptation.
[*]Kirk Douglas' 1st (and only) on-screen singing* role.
[/list]
At this point, I hope Disney is just quietly beavering away on a restoration and remaster for 4k, which they can also release to Blu-ray (even if only for a limited time). Not every old motion picture is a classic, but I've never doubted for a second that this one fully qualifies.

* Not 100% certain of this; research inconclusive; evidence mostly anecdotal.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Robert Crawford said:
20K doesn't have a musical or a Tom Hanks movie, so it's obviously not AS important or indispensable to the marketing.

However, it is one of the five or six Walt-era live-action films whose existence Disney still recognizes, so I wouldn't write it out of the picture. Hope they're not still holding back for that mythical "reboot" that now looks dead in the water.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did anybody say it's not important? I didn't say that!

I said it isn't as important as Mary Poppins to Disney. Unfortunately, that's just how it is despite my wishing it otherwise.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If the sea lion was named "Elsa" and they digitally inserted Nemo into the underwater sequences, I'm sure it would get released. Let's face it, folks, Disney Home Video ain't what it used to be. I'd love to have the film on Blu. It's exciting, funny, and has gorgeous cinematography and effects.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
ROclockCK said:
[*]Disney's 1st all live-action motion picture (other than shorts and documentaries).
[/list]
ABaglivi said:
Disney's first all live-action film was Treasure Island (1950).
Yep. I don't know how anyone could think that 20,000 Leagues was Disney's first all live-action picture (excluding documentaries). It wasn't even the second.
1. Treasure Island
2. The Story of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men
3. The Sword and the Rose
4. Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue
5. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I have to admit that I've been shocked by Disney's lack of interest in their live action classics. We baby boomers who grew up with them aren't getting any younger, and lots of people young and old would be drawn into their wonderful stories and outstanding production values if only they'd be given a chance.

However, perhaps Disney thinks the DVDs already available for them are sufficient. Are these wonderful films 20,000 Leagues, Pollyanna, Treasure Island, Old Yeller, The Parent Trap still available on DVD or have they gone out of print? If the latter, Blu-rays would seem the logical next step.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Matt Hough said:
Yes, I have to admit that I've been shocked by Disney's lack of interest in their live action classics. We baby boomers who grew up with them aren't getting any younger, and lots of people young and old would be drawn into their wonderful stories and outstanding production values if only they'd be given a chance.
I'm not sure about young.
Kids today have been used to another way of filming/storytelling/production values.
I read all the time under youtube videos of old films, bad comments about their effects etc.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Matt Hough said:

However, perhaps Disney thinks the DVDs already available for them are sufficient. Are these wonderful films 20,000 Leagues, Pollyanna, Treasure Island, Old Yeller, The Parent Trap still available on DVD or have they gone out of print? If the latter, Blu-rays would seem the logical next step.
They're all still in print on DVD. Also, most have them have already been prepared in HD (minus the digital cleanup) and are available as digital downloads. But oddly, Disney is doing absolutely nothing to advertise the availability of the HD downloads.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mark-P said:
They're all still in print on DVD. Also, most have them have already been prepared in HD (minus the digital cleanup) and are available as digital downloads. But oddly, Disney is doing absolutely nothing to advertise the availability of the HD downloads.
I saw The Parent Trap on HBO (or perhaps Starz) in HD a couple of months ago, and it did look wonderful.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Matt Hough said:
I saw The Parent Trap on HBO (or perhaps Starz) in HD a couple of months ago, and it did look wonderful.
That means that Disney doesn't degrain all its live-action films like the animation films?
Well, that sounds encouranging!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
MatthewA said:
There almost was, but Walt cut it out.
Yes, there was an undersea sequence using animation. That deleted section is among the special features of the 2-disc DVD Special Edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks