What's new

Warners opens the vaults again - Picture of Dorian Gray (1 Viewer)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Wow! After Yankee Doodle Dandy, Out of the Past and news of Lust for Life being released, just saw that Warner Archives is issuing The Picture of Dorian Gray. (At least according to that other web site we don't mention). Mr. Harris said a lot more would be coming from Warners and it looks like it could be true. Oh happy day for me. Oh sad day for my savings account.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
LOVE this movie..can't wait. I just wish I liked Hurd Hatfield as Dorian better than I do. For me, he's a cold, dead center at the heart of the movie and I can't help feeling he already looks slightly debauched from the get-go. That being said, George Sanders, brilliant photography, a heartbreaking Angela Lansbury, and high Victorian gloss (better living through MGM) make this a must own on blu-ray. Wonderful movie!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
05204478cc6adee5e22a243896e04854.jpg

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Great news and I pre-ordered it already.. Id guess between now and December for a release date :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now Available for Preorder
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Fond memories. When I got my first 16mm projector, this was the first print that I was able to get and my first official screening.

Also a good picture.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Warner Archive can't find the plug and the releases spring forth like water from a stream. Somebody, please make sure that plug is NEVER found. This is crazy-wonderful.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yorkshire said:
Now we're talking!

With full colour inserts, obviously.

Steve W
Yeah, the first few times I saw this on the telly (way, way back), it was of course all b/w, it was quite a surprise when I first saw the colour bit a few years ago.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great price and ordered immediately using the link. Another can't miss release.

Thanks you, Warner Archive!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Will Krupp said:
LOVE this movie..can't wait. I just wish I liked Hurd Hatfield as Dorian better than I do. For me, he's a cold, dead center at the heart of the movie and I can't help feeling he already looks slightly debauched from the get-go.
I believe Hurd Hatfield shared your disappointment, Will. I've read that Hatfield was directed to play the role with a cold, glacial edge, which Hatfield didn't really feel was how Wilde intended the character to be portrayed.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Is this going to be BD-R or pressed BD? If it's the latter, then I'm in.I wonder if Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde might be far behind. Both the 1931 and 1941 versions on the same disc, of course.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Kevin L McCorry said:
Is this going to be BD-R or pressed BD? If it's the latter, then I'm in.I wonder if Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde might be far behind. Both the 1931 and 1941 versions on the same disc, of course.
I'm sure this will be regular, pressed Blu-ray. I don't believe WA is planning on moving to BD-R format discs when they can just as easily manufacture them in smaller batches and replicate as necessary.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
classicmovieguy said:
I believe Hurd Hatfield shared your disappointment, Will. I've read that Hatfield was directed to play the role with a cold, glacial edge, which Hatfield didn't really feel was how Wilde intended the character to be portrayed.
I didn't know that, thanks (though I don't think I've ever seen Hurd Hatfield play a role WITHOUT a glacial edge...heheh)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Will Krupp said:
I didn't know that, thanks (though I don't think I've ever seen Hurd Hatfield play a role WITHOUT a glacial edge...heheh)
On the DVD audio commentary, Angela Lansbury talks at length about how much Hatfield was disappointed with his final performance. The two were very close friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks