What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Yankee Doodle Dandy -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I probably have over a hundred favorite films.

Yankee Doodle Dandy is one of those favorites that would be on the very short list on that desert island with me.

There are certain films that have resonated with me since I was a child.  This is one of them.  It's also one of only two black & white films, that while viewing, I can swear I can see color.  The other is Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

By that I mean that they appear to me to be taken from a Technicolor green record.

One very pleasurable experience for me was my ability to thank Mr. Cagney for his work, and to get to have a short chat with him about his career, WB, and especially Yankee Doodle Dandy.  Extraordinary man, extraordinary actor, and a true gentleman.  People need to be thanked.

But enough preface.

How does Warner Bros. Archive Collection's new Blu-ray of Yankee Doodle Dandy look?

I'll use that word again.

Extraordinary.

An absolutely perfect gray scale, with rich blacks, white whites and every shade in between.  Grain structure looks like an original 35mm print, right of the OCN.

Totally clean of detritus, scratches, bumps, etc.  But never a bit of awkward digital work.

Audio is likewise perfect.

I couldn't be more thrilled.

My voting for Best Blu-rays opens this time of the year -- sometimes a bit earlier -- but I know my Best Black & White catalog title released in 2014.

Yankee Doodle Dandy.

As an aside, most people will already know that the film is told in flashback, and viewing the film earlier today, I noted something for the first time -- due to the quality of the image.

The flash-back and wrap-around fit very nicely per the running time of the film, and the clock on a certain gentleman's desk.  You'll know it when you see it.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

One of the Best Blu-rays of the year.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
How exciting to read this, and how wonderful that Warner Archives has scored another bull's eye! Congratulations to the folks there.

I got my shipping notice for this today; next Tuesday can't come fast enough.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thank you RAH and WHV. I've had this pre-ordered since Amazon listed it. It's been a favorite since I first saw this sometime in the 1980s.

Of all the B&W films I've seen, this is the one that I most wish was filmed in color. But as RAH said, it is very easy to visualize color in one's mind's eye.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Preordered.

B&W is fine with me, I appreciate it more all of time. Gone are the days when most movies were B&W and the rest were dye-transfer Technicolor.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Thank you for the review, Robert. Yankee Doodle Dandy is a "deserted island" title for me as will.

Darby

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Back in, I think, the late 50's, there was a movie show called "Million Dollar Movie".
It was on WOR in N.Y., channel 9. They would show the same film for a week. Twice a day on weekdays, 3 or 4 times a day on weekends.
That was when I first saw Yankee Doodle Dandy.
My whole family loved it, and we probably watched it 10 times easily the week it was on.
Thanks for the review Robert, and a huge thanks to Warner's for a great job on a great film!
Ordered!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What a thrill to read this.

I have to confess, I was concerned when I heard that YDD was being pushed
to the Archive collection. Not having owned any BD Archive releases, I thought
perhaps a lesser effort would be given to the film's digital cleanup.

It's great to hear that Warner applied the same level of excellence to this film as
they do most all their major catalog releases.

Perhaps the best Blu-ray release of the year? Very encouraging!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I ordered YDD with My Fair Lady to get Amazon's cut on dual-postage ... now I'm regretting it. I can't wait!
Maybe Amazon will ship YDD instead of holding it ...I can wish, can't I?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
To watch Cagney dance in this film, you'd think he had a special license for gravity not to effect him.....

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Funny thing about James Cagney's acting, he broke the big film acting rule: less is more. No Gary Cooper, do almost nothing acting for him. It was all big, playing to the back of the gallery (of the theatre across the road!)...& yet it was perfect (& true). It just goes to show the nonsense talked about replacing the stars with CGI stuff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
What a thrill to read this.

I have to confess, I was concerned when I heard that YDD was being pushed
to the Archive collection. Not having owned any BD Archive releases, I thought
perhaps a lesser effort would be given to the film's digital cleanup.

It's great to hear that Warner applied the same level of excellence to this film as
they do most all their major catalog releases.

Perhaps the best Blu-ray release of the year? Very encouraging!
Actually, I feel more comfortable when titles are announced as Warner BD Archive releases because they're under the control of George Feltenstein.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Robert Crawford said:
Actually, I feel more comfortable when titles are announced as Warner BD Archive releases because they're under the control of George Feltenstein.
Agreed, and all you have to do is look at the transfers of previous WAC brd catalogue releases such as HIT THE DECK, KISMET, OUT OF THE PAST, THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY, among the others as visual evidence that films released through WAC are given as much care and attention as WHV releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
Amen.

As I noted, this is my first Blu-ray Archive title so I had no idea what to expect.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As far as I'm concerned, WA has a perfect record with their Blu-ray releases. Out of the Past had a few slight bits of spotting, but they went by so quickly I barely noticed them. The others like Kismet and The Great Race and Jumbo have been stupendous.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The quality of a release, luck aside, is all about the people who control its destiny, and their personal passions for their projects.Mr. Feltenstein measures thrice and cuts once. His record for standing behind releases personally, from working with Mr. Price, and MPI toward scans to checking sample discs, is almost unheard of in the industry for a home video executive. With Mr. Feltenstein in place, the public can safely pre-order Warner Archive titles, and be assured of receiving a release of the highest quality. As an aside, to correct a post above, I feel that YDD should be the Best Black & White Catalog title of 2014. It is mine already. For Color, my thoughts are elsewhere, as I've viewed compression samples of another title, coming in December. Mr. Kimmel has also seen this other title -- the one in color -- projected on a 22 foot wide screen direct from a Blu-ray disc.RAH

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Robert Harris said:
The quality of a release, luck aside, is all about the people who control its destiny, and their personal passions for their projects.Mr. Feltenstein measures thrice and cuts once. His record for standing behind releases personally, from working with Mr. Price, and MPI toward scans to checking sample discs, is almost unheard of in the industry for a home video executive.With Mr. Feltenstein in place, the public can safely pre-order Warner Archive titles, and be assured of receiving a release of the highest quality.As an aside, to correct a post above, I feel that YDD should be the Best Black & White Catalog title of 2014. It is mine already. For Color, my thoughts are elsewhere, as I've viewed compression samples of another title, coming in December. Mr. Kimmel has also seen this other title -- the one in color -- projected on a 22 foot wide screen direct from a Blu-ray disc.RAH
And another tease as to something good coming up soon. Anxiously awaiting to find out what this title is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks