What's new

Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn - 5/12/15 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yeah, me too, but I'm wondering if perhaps with a first-rate transfer of Jamaica Inn, maybe I'll find things about it that will make it more appealing than the few viewings I've had on the murky old VHS tape I have.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
The Cohen collection has a rare 35mm print in their collection. It was used on the Network UK The British Years dvd set, which has always been the best presentation of Jamaica Inn on DVD.

Also, Easy Virtue (1928) is about to be released in France on Blu-Ray, October 21st.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mikey1969 said:
I'm glad this is coming, especially restored, but frankly would rather see films like Suspicion, Lifeboat, The Wrong Man or even Mrs. and Mrs, Smith being announced.
'Lifeboat' has not only been announced, but released in a very good 'Region A' compatible version. Just check out 'jbhifi.com.au' and ignore the obligatory notices that it's a Region B release. It's not. It's region-free.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
AnthonyClarke said:
'Lifeboat' has not only been announced, but released in a very good 'Region A' compatible version. Just check out 'jbhifi.com.au' and ignore the obligatory notices that it's a Region B release. It's not. It's region-free.
Agree...this Australian release used the same transfer that Masters of Cinema used and it is indeed region free. I am very pleased with my copy.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Looking to see if the Cohen Jamaica Inn was up for pre-order at Amazon, I came across a horror! One company is selling a 16x9 wide screen transfer of Jamaica Inn!!! This is a 1939 film. People used to complain about the black bars on their 4x3 monitors when watching a wide screen movie and wanted their screens "filled up". Now, apparently that wide screen TVs are the norm, people still don't want those black bars (this time on the sides of the picture rather than top and bottom). I hope this practice doesn't catch on.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've never seen this one but added it to my wish list!

Price will be a factor

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
AnthonyClarke said:
The Amazon pre=order is a ridiculous price but I've pre-ordered in the hope it'll drop between now and May. If not, I can always cancel .....
Anthony, as a fellow Aussie (across the continent in WA), I too order in a lot from Amazon US and UK. I try to offset the high shipping costs, which can sometimes exceed the item price, by ordering several items at once, as the shipping costs increase at smaller steps for each additional item. This works fine, until I have to cancel an item (such as a pre-order like Jamaica Inn if the price doesn't drop meaningfully before release). Do you come across this issue too, and if so have you found a good way around it?

To be clear, I don't begrudge Cohen Media for its pricing regime. They have gone to the effort of a hi-resolution restoration from source, with proper digital cleanup. Some other prominent distributors simply scan the source and slap it onto a bare-bones disc, warts-n-all, with no cleanup, extras or subtitles and demand a premium price. That irks me.

Thanks in advance,

Ramin

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Amazon used to offer a 'combine orders' service which let you get combined postage for several items pre-ordered at different times. That was a real money-saver. I can't understand why they scrapped that !

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Probably a good thing that I find JAMAICA INN a dull, over-acted and generally uninteresting title (as I do UNDER CAPRICORN). I await YOUNG AND INNOCENT (en route to me) and SABOTAGE (coming soon). The Warner Bros. holdouts (THE WRONG MAN, STAGE FRIGHT, I CONFESS and MR. AND MRS. SMITH) have had HD masters, but just haven't shown up yet. Maybe Warner Bros. will do a box set...?

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Dick said:
Probably a good thing that I find JAMAICA INN a dull, over-acted and generally uninteresting title (as I do UNDER CAPRICORN). I await YOUNG AND INNOCENT (en route to me) and SABOTAGE (coming soon). The Warner Bros. holdouts (THE WRONG MAN, STAGE FRIGHT, I CONFESS and MR. AND MRS. SMITH) have had HD masters, but just haven't shown up yet. Maybe Warner Bros. will do a box set...?
Please share your thoughts once Young and Innocent arrives. I've held back ordering so far due to the differing reports of the Network Blu-Ray transfer. It's certainly one of my favourite Hitchcocks - along with Sabotage!
...but I do enjoy Jamaica Inn as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks