What's new

The Bride Wore Black (Francois Truffaut) BD Coming In January from Twilight Time (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
OMG...I am so-o-o thrilled that TT is beginning to release foreign-language titles, as I am with Shout! Factory's upcoming JEAN DE FLORETTE / MANON DES SOURCES. If this is just the first of an eventual ongoing series of Truffaut MGM titles -- titles that were badly handled by that label on DVD -- I will be ecstatic. This one (as well as SMALL CHANGE, STORY OF ADELE H, THE WILD CHILD and others, which I now have hope for) aren't even available in Europe yet.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Awesome! The U.S. release via MGM was non anamorphic so I'll happily upgrade.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Any/all Truffaut titles will be welcome ... though I hope Criterion retains the Doinel cycle so I can recycle the beautiful suitcase/portfolio packaging they used for the DVDs!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad's Briefs About: The Bride Wore Black (1968)

The Movie: Well folks, thought I'd put my "Briefs" here on this thread instead of creating a whole new one (thought it would be appreciated by HTF admin). Anyway The Bride Wore Black was my first Francois Truffaut film and to put it short, I found it rather interesting myself. OK so its a little slow compared to femme fatale films of today but still contained some powerful imagery, especially in portrayal of Julie Kohler's connection to her departed husband (the childhood sweethearts scene was really powerful).

While in real life, not too many women would go as far as Julie did to avenge the killing of her husband (with the inevitable legal consequences), you could still have a lot of sympathy for her character though not as much as if her husband's killing would have been a deliberate act (which it wasn't).

Oh and this is the second film I've seen where Michael Lonsdale dies of asphixiation. Sixteen years later in Moonraker, his Drax character died in outer space from a definite lack of air.

Technical Aspects: Picture quality was excellent on this Blu, right on par with what I come to expect nowadays from Twilight Time. Sound was quite good too in my opinion but I'd like to hear from our local audiophiles on this one (so I know what to look for now that I have a actual AVR-based sound system).

In Conclusion: A nice addition to my classic film library and will have to consider more Francois Truffaut titles in the future.

Now waiting for Feb 25th to order First Men In The Moon and JTTCOE-4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks