What's new

Tusk (dir: Kevin Smith) Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
You'd be surprised how much mileage writer/director Kevin Smith managed to get out of the offbeat concept of turning Justin Long into a walrus.

Extrapolating from a concept that originated on one of his podcasts, Smith's Tusk is a horror fable about an egotistical podcaster named Wallace Bryton (Long) who's kidnapped, drugged and surgically transformed (by a deranged retiree named Howard Howe, played by veteran actor Michael Parks) into said creature whilst in the backwoods of Manitoba trying to gather content for his show.

From my full review:
After drugging Wallace, Howard gets to work mutilating the podcaster's body; and the ensuing scenes between the two actors are positively chilling in the way they unfold, if not for their sheer grotesquerie then at least for Wallace's terrified reactions and the matter-of-fact approach Howard applies to his task (after all, Howard's done this 23 times before, so he's had plenty of time to hone his surgical technique). It's also during this time that Parks gets to paint Howard in somewhat of a more sympathetic light, revealing the character's painful history of child abuse and neglect that's led to his current mental state.

Nonetheless, this is a Kevin Smith film, and as he's wont to do, he's made sure to include humor where audiences might least expect it. Boiling down to a series of jokes about Canadian stereotypes, the comedy is hit-and-miss though, with the worst (if not most baffling) offender being an out-of-place Johnny Depp, who makes an incognito appearance (under layers of facial prosthetics) as a Québécois detective named Guy Lapointe.

Guy joins Teddy, along with Wallace's girlfriend, Ally (Genesis Rodriguez), in their search for Wallace, who's alerted them to his kidnapping through a couple of frantic voicemails (before losing his tongue, that is). But the way Depp quirkily meanders through his part plays in stark contrast to Rodriguez and Osment's otherwise straight-laced turns. Ultimately, the humor ends up feeling like a misguided detour on the way to the movie's endgame, which, when you think about it, is disturbing enough in its own right, considering the man behind it.
3 out of 5. Despite its inherent goofiness and wayward attempts at humor, Tusk manages to strike a nerve with its disturbing take on the creature feature. But much of that success owes to Justin Long and Michael Parks, who rarely veer into parody with their performances. If Kevin Smith were to take a cue from them for his next stab at the genre, it's almost a certainty that the results would chill moviegoers to the bone. As it stands, this movie is still a worthwhile curiosity for fans — either of horror or of Kevin Smith — to seek out. You may even be surprised by how genuinely creepy it can be when it wants to.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan dating back to when Clerks first hit VHS and it sounds silly but I'm 'proud' to see him make a movie that's so different from what he's done before. That being said, I liked the movie overall but I wish that he had played the movie more as a straight horror film because the scenes with Long and Parks are outstanding & creepy and the comedy didn't work that well for me. I hope this movie gets seen more on video just because it's unique and there's so few movies that you can say that about.

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
I haven't really enjoyed any of Smith's output over the last several years, but Tusk is oddly intriguing to me. It's definitely on my "give it a shot" list.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hated " Red State" so I'm a little skeptical on this, although it does look interesting. I'll wait until its available to rent.I'm all for "Clerks 3" if it is still happening. I thought the second one was great.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
I wasn't a fan of Red State either, but Tusk -- being a creature feature, essentially -- is a different type of horror film from Smith's previous effort.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This movie was so weird, I didn't really know how to formulate my thoughts on it, so I'll just go with "Well, that was weird."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
I'm all for "Clerks 3" if it is still happening. I thought the second one was great.
He said recently that money people saw Tusk and it made them decide to fund Clerks III so it's happening. Clerks II is probably my favorite of his movies but I just hope that a third time to the well works out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
This movie was so weird, I didn't really know how to formulate my thoughts on it, so I'll just go with "Well, that was weird."
This about sums it up for me, too. It's deeply flawed as a movie, but it's also easily Smith's most interesting work since Dogma.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
He said recently that money people saw Tusk and it made them decide to fund Clerks III so it's happening. Clerks II is probably my favorite of his movies but I just hope that a third time to the well works out.
Cool. I hope so too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks