What's new

The Boys from Brazil (Shout Factory) 1-6-2015 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-drama/the-boys-from-brazil

product_images_preview_BFBBRCover72dpi.png

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I purchased the Blu-ray from Amazon.uk a few years ago. I always liked this movie a very unusual role for Gregory Peck. The video and audio are excellent the coding is Region-Free.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I've been aware of the UK release of both this and Capricorn One for a couple of years but have held off for Shout! to issue a US release, if for no other reason than to not have to have the huge UK ratings on front of the cases.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I've been aware of the UK release of both this and Capricorn One for a couple of years but have held off for Shout! to issue a US release, if for no other reason than to not have to have the huge UK ratings on front of the cases.
I bought this title a while back from Amazon because I assumed there wouldn't be a US release and yeah I totally agree, those ratings logos are ugly and ruin the covers. Also the blu case is a little fatter which is annoying.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Only had a chance to watch the first 15 minutes or so of the region free BD that I received yesterday from Amazon U.K. and I was very pleased with what I saw and heard on my 120" screen. Will try to watch the rest tonight.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Reed Grele said:
Only had a chance to watch the first 15 minutes or so of the region free BD that I received yesterday from Amazon U.K. and I was very pleased with what I saw and heard on my 120" screen. Will try to watch the rest tonight.
I've seen good reviews for the UK version, which I assume will be the same master used by Shout!. The UK version is also cheaper but those DAMN GIGANTIC UK ratings logos just get me.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The German ratings are even worse but I recently got The Curse of the Werwolf from Germany and the label had thoughtfully included a double sided cover with the reverse side showing the cover with no rating . Much nicer and a good idea

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
You should see the ratings logos here in Australia -- like a massive postage stamp in the bottom left hand corner of all blurays, dvds and video games -- no unsuspecting parent will accidently put in an R rated movie for a 5 year old kid in their dvd player unless they are blindfolded (by the way, for the record, "The Boys From Brazil" is rated M -- you can see the rating information on the cover from the Moon)

Some nut comes out every 5-10 years or so, threatening to remake this movie -- that would be sheer madness -- here is a movie waiting for a decent sequel to be made, but I don't think it ever will now with political correctness and the way the world has changed in the last 10-15 years. Also the original movie was no box office blockbuster and there are those at the studios with long memories -- especially when it comes to box office grosses.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The ratings on the UK version are not "gigantic", but yes they are much larger than the ones on Region A BDS, and it is IMO stupid that they have them on the insert back and front and the discs too. It is sad some people would never purchase a perfectly fine BD because they don't like the cover. I am sure they are as thoughtful and insightful in other selections they make too. But it is their $$, and it is the current way to package crap in rainbows and stars for just those people...

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
CraigF said:
The ratings on the UK version are not "gigantic", but yes they are much larger than the ones on Region A BDS, and it is IMO stupid that they have them on the insert back and front and the discs too. It is sad some people would never purchase a perfectly fine BD because they don't like the cover. I am sure they are as thoughtful and insightful in other selections they make too. But it is their $$, and it is the current way to package crap in rainbows and stars for just those people...
I'd be willing to guess that rainbows and stars are exactly some of the things 'those people' would like to avoid. While I agree it's the content of the disc that matters most in my purchasing decisions, I certainly appreciate an aesthetically pleasing package and see no need to be disdainful of others who do.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Brian McP said:
You should see the ratings logos here in Australia -- like a massive postage stamp in the bottom left hand corner of all blurays, dvds and video games

I have a fair few dvd's and Blurays from Australia and I think their ratings are amongst the worst sizewise.
CraigF said:
The ratings on the UK version are not "gigantic", but yes they are much larger than the ones on Region A BDS, and it is IMO stupid that they have them on the insert back and front and the discs too. It is sad some people would never purchase a perfectly fine BD because they don't like the cover...

Has anybody said they would refuse to purchase a Bluray just because the cover is not very good ?If that were the case Arrow would sell hardly any discs due to the "new artwork" they often inflict on fans - although they too usually provide cover choices .

Personally what's on the cover is of no consequence to me when it comes to choosing what to buy although having been given the option I did switch the German Curse of the Werewolf cover around to the one with no rating .

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Yes, somebody did, the guy who thought I was being disdainful. And plenty of others here over the years.

I don't look at disc covers, ever, beyond any accidental glance while I'm taking the disc out.

Sorry for being snarky, but I would never reject media based on their packaging, even though I probably should in some cases. I despise the UK Amaray BD cases much more than their artwork; they are made of cheap/lousy/brittle plastic that is much less durable than even the typical North American ones are. I would say most of the ones I get shipped here have cracks or are broken, and just try getting replacements over here at any reasonable cost. Plus they take at least 50% more shelf width than Elite.

Really, this is a decent Region Free UK BD. It would theoretically be better with lossless audio, but there's not a lot of effects and such to hear, and what's there is fine. Worthwhile. I think the movie is pretty good, more than a watch-once title IMO.

A small piece of black paper slipped in the front of the cover would cover the ratings logos in the bottom right corner, in this case, if that's what's so offensive.

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
CraigF said:
^ Yes, somebody did, the guy who thought I was being disdainful. And plenty of others here over the years.
As the guy who used the D word, with all due respect, I'd like to observe that I did not say that I would refuse to buy something just because the cover was no good. I said that I appreciated an aesthetically pleasing package but the content matters most to me. Trust me, I own plenty of discs I unabashedly love that happen to have absolutely fugly covers.

I can easily understand, however, that some people might have more of an aversion to certain cover artwork that might influence their choice to purchase an item. From time to time I have avoided buying certain books that have been adapted to film and have a cover featuring the cast of that film on it. I opt instead to buy another edition of the book without, say, Tom Hanks' face staring at me from it. It's a personal aesthetic choice-and it's not a big leap for me to empathize with someone who might exhibit a similar choice with their movie collection.

The amazing thing about any hobby or interest is that we're all going to have our individual little quirks and preferences. And unfortunately, the interest that we share is dwindling in numbers these days, so I strive to embrace and empathize with the quirks of others as best I can. We're all in this together, you know? I truly apologize if I offended anyone with my comments.

Back on topic-The Boys From Brazil is a hoot of a film, and I'm hoping we get a great release in January. But if not, apparently there's a solid UK edition out there already that I can get as well, which is good news indeed.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
albert_m2 said:
I bought this title a while back from Amazon because I assumed there wouldn't be a US release and yeah I totally agree, those ratings logos are ugly and ruin the covers. Also the blu case is a little fatter which is annoying.
If the rating and case size are the biggest problems, I'm a happy clam. I reserve my packaging displeasure for those elaborate cardboard "books" such as the Rodgers and Hammerstein, Bond and Spielberg sets. Also have no use for digibooks.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
CraigF said:
I don't look at disc covers, ever, beyond any accidental glance while I'm taking the disc out.
Lots of people do. It's part of the fun of owning a decent product. A competent cover art adds to the pleasure.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Too bad Blu covers are more game-like in appearance and smaller than DVD covers, they still feels kind of cheap to me handling and looking at them. Old habits die hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks