What's new

Anyone else have big movie collections? (2 Viewers)

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
Hello all, im new here on this site but like most of you here I a huge movie fan. Have been since I was young. Used to have a huge VHS collection, got rid of those now I have an even bigger BR & DVD collection lol. Anyone else have big collections? As I was making my list on an app on my phone I currently have 140 Blu Rays & 540 DVDs. My DVD list isn't even done yet, my BR is complete for now but im always getting new movies every month.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
You are just starting with those figures. Wait until you get into the thousands!!!!!!
Once you you get those higher figures it is very hard to catalog or even avoid getting more than one copy of a title. Great fun though.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Used to have in excess of 1,000 DVDs but I've been chopping the fat and now really only collecting classic films on DVD and Blu. Like you, my old VHS collection used to be quite considerable but I sold it all off when I first got into DVD, in 2001. :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have around 4,500 DVDs (including blu) with movies from 1912 to 2014 (the bulk of which is 40s, 50s, 60s).

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I have a continually growing collection of about 1700 movies on DVD and Blu-ray, and about 900 TV discs. It's modest compared to the collections of many here, but my wife and most of our friends think it's a huge collection.

---------------

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Don't let my username fool you, I "only" have 1100 Blu-rays and just over 800 DVDs. At one point, just before Blu-ray was introduced, I had well over 1200 DVDs, which was a big deal to me because I live in a small apartment. I've learned to be more selective with what I buy these days. That, coupled with a handful of purges over the years, has whittled my collection down to manageable size. I would say 95% of my current library is made up of films I enjoy very much and re-watch often. Still, compared to other members' libraries mine pales in comparison :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd hate to figure my total.But in the Old Stuff...VHS...346. Mainly what isn't on DVD. Roughly 40% PAL.CED...112. Yep, there are movies here...and VHS not on DVD.LD....90. Keep pairing down. Most have a "good" DVD release by now.There are even films I have more than 1 copy of...in multiple formats.I have all the Godfathers. All the Qatsi. Many cases I have multiple regions of the same movie. Korean releases will often have DTS tracks. German and Spanish tend to be less edited. And several movies I have 3-4 DVD of it...because of different edits of the film.Some I've doubled up because I knew they would be borrowed. Bought 3 copies of Perks of Being a Wallflower. 1 Blu, 2 DVD. My collection has an entire bookcase case marked "does not leave the room". Everything else is fair game. Hence the multiple copies...

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
I own about 525 movies. A modest size collection compared to others, but keep in mind my collection includes...

-- zero movies that I'll watch only once*
-- zero movies that I'll never watch
-- zero movies that I haven't watched and have been sitting in the shrinkwrap for months
-- zero movies that I plucked out of a $5 bin at Walmart just to bulk up my collection
-- zero movies that I don't really like but somehow feel like I "should" own

My collection is made up of movies that are near and dear to me, that were worth buying (as opposed to renting, or borrowing from the library) because I know they'll get repeat viewings. Not because I want to have a wall of DVDs/Blu-Rays to impress people with what a big "movie fan" I am. My movie fandom comes out in my passion and my knowledge, not the size of my personal collection or the amount of disposable income I choose to spend on it.

(* not entirely true, there are a couple in box sets that I have no desire to see again, like Un chambre en ville)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Yes. I do not have the numbers at-hand; however:Am I odd in that I enjoy organizing my collection as much (or almost as much) as actually watching the films?Also, this was probably obvious to many others for a very long time, but my organization really gained momentum when I "discovered" the ability to buy blank cases that hold two (or three, or four) discs. So, in a situation where a given film was released as a 2-disc DVD edition, and then a 1-disc Blu-Ray edition, an empty 3-disc DVD case can hold all three discs, which is especially useful when the Blu-Ray omits an extra or a bonus-feature that was on the DVD.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
15,000+ titles in the last database I maintained. This included Blu-Rays, HD-DVDs, DVDs, Laser Discs, VHS tapes, and DVDRs.

Lots of freebies from when I reviewed for the trades and attended VSDA (EMA) and CES.

When my Dell died the last data base I was using died also as my last back up had been ages ago.

Now I'm using Collecorz and have re-entered about 3,000 titles. I'm trying not to think about the remaining 12,000+.

Way too much stuff and I'm down-sizing and selling off titles and donating on a regular basis using eBay, Half.com bi-annual garage sales and Goodwill.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Since the dawn of the blu-ray age I no longer 'collect' and only now keep favourites that I watch often and a few others (eg large format) that I enjoy for the quality viewing experience but which are not favourites. When it comes to deciding what to watch I found having a large collection makes me indecisive and I usually put on one of the few hundred favourites so that is what I now keep. All the others have been recycled.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Asking that question on HTF is like asking someone if they drink water. :)

I admire those who have whittled and purged their collections to their nearest and dearest. I will likely need to do that soon.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It's very cathartic and may well have something to do with middle-age! I do the same for CDs and books. No MP3 or download/streaming for me. I do have a Kindle but have only used it on holiday so far.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have 98% of all best picture nominees in one format or another; I believe I amMissing only two (THE PATRIOT [lost], and THE WHITE PARADE), as well, I have multiple season sets of many tv shows, sports games, music videos and concerts, and around 700 DVDs/blu rays (not including best pictures.)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not really, probably about 70-80 films, in terms of disc numbers, I've over twice that amount in TV box sets...which I really must get around to watching one day! I buy very few new films, it's mostly catalogue from the 50's, 60's & 70's, so I'm not buying a new Blu-ray every week, or even every month, so it's never going to be a huge collection.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I have a larger collection than most of those mentioned already because I've taped thousands of movies on VHS off of cable over the decades, usually in EP speed so I have 3 or 4 movies per tape. Quantity rather than quality. This is in addition to a ridiculous number of pre-records. Just last night I watched SIREN OF BAGDAD (1953), which I taped off TCM some years back. And in one week in September I watched five Lee Tracy movies taped in one day off TCM and six Joe E. Brown movies. Plus, I don't know how many DVDs I have, but it's well over two thousand.

Here's just one section of the wall in my living room that's all shelves. You can find DVDs, VHS, CDs and VCDs in this picture:

6198719427_d1eb23f2db_z.jpg

An angle of most of the wall:

6089399492_de28acf251_z.jpg

Aren't you glad you asked? :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Welcome to HTF, Andrew. As you quickly are learning, a collection that is considered "big" in the real world is just a handful around here. :lol: According to DVD Profiler, I currently have 679 BD titles and 577 DVD titles, and I consider that a modest collection compared with many of the members. I have watched all but three - two of which are recently purchased collections I am only partway through, and the third being a film I had just watched on DVD before finding the BD for $5 (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels). I just have not felt like watching that last one again this soon.

I do purge my collection every so often, getting rid of titles that I do not think I will watch again, and I always sell off titles that I upgrade to a new format. So, my BD collection is getting larger while my DVD collection has been shrinking.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
tens of thousands of movies here. 50TB media server, thousands of DVDs and blu-rays. Piles of tapes and laserdiscs. Enough for the rest of my life!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks