What's new

Post An Entire Movie? (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If I find an entire movie posted to YouTube am I allowed to share it here on the forum to discuss it? A recently released Blu-ray is on YouTube for free in HD (that's probably not allowed) but regardless it's there and I didn't see anything specifically in the rules about not sharing movies. Full articles on the web and copyrighted photos I see, but nothing about an entire movie. I'm getting conflicting messages here. Can any mod help?Thanks!

Neil

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Links to YouTube are allowed on HTF.

What I've been told is YouTube has strong anti-piracy tools in place and if a full artistic work is posted there and not removed promptly, it's because there's some licensing in place to allow it.

Of course, some individual judgment is in order. If it looks like a pirated copy -- that would be likely to vanish when YouTube finds and deletes it -- there's no point in posting a link.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
If the said Title on YouTube has fallen out of copyright, and is in the Public Domain, I should think it would be pretty safe to link those! Of course, the audio/visual quality will tend towards being incidental in the bulk of these!

Here's a list of films in the Public Domain in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States

CHEERS! :)

P.S. I can say from a quick glance that the above is not a complete Public Domain listing by any means! Laurel & Hardy's THE FLYING DEUCES and UTOPIA are for me, only the most obvious examples among unlisted (In Wikipedia, at least!) Films!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony:

You must have misunderstood DaveF's answer.

We are leaving it up to YT to police it's copyright issues. The only obvious "no no"s are new movies that haven't yet even made it to home video. Those we would take down in a heartbeat if they somehow got past the YT "authorities."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks