What's new

Castle Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That was an odd season premiere I thought. The mystery of Castle's disappearance and reappearance remains a mystery and somehow seems more anticlimactic then satisfying. So it seems this mystery could go on for a few more episodes. The script was pretty good to list all the suspects the fans would have thought was involved, but seems they weren't involved. Including James Brolin. They did more to paint distrust on Kate's part as to what Castle was up to.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much in agreement with you, Nelson. The tone of the episode really felt odd, no doubt due to the normal, light tone of Beckett and Castle solving crimes together being completely absent. I am expecting the mystery of Castle's disappearance will play out over most of the season.

They have used the distrust angle before (like when Castle was a murder suspect) but I wasn't completely sold on it this time. I would like to think that you would have complete trust in someone you were about to marry and I was disappointed in Beckett's responses. It kind of felt like the show was trying to slow down or do a partial reset on the Beckett / Castle romance vs. something that would naturally arise.

- Walter.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Walter Kittel said:
It kind of felt like the show was trying to slow down or do a partial reset on the Beckett / Castle romance vs. something that would naturally arise.

- Walter.
It was exactly that, which I think is unfortunate. They'd already dragged out the wedding for several episodes last season and then to push it back even farther was a total letdown. I think there are still plenty of stories that can be told with them as a married couple.

So, I'm hopeful they will resolve this quickly, but I'm betting it will all season...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was very disappointed with Beckett's response instead of being horrified with the turn of events for someone whom she supposedly loves. (Castle is much too easy-going and innocent a person to have ever put her or his friends and family in a situation of worry for months on end.) I do think they will be filling in little pieces of this mystery all season, and I'm guessing the wedding will not be rescheduled to occur until the end of the season, so that will be two important things dangling over our heads all season.

The ratings for last night were very good against much tougher competition than last year.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the second episode quite a bit more than the premiere. Of course the mystery deepens.

Is it connected to what happened in Hollander's Woods in February when Castle was eleven years old? (Prompting him to become a mystery writer.) Was Castle victimized? Did he witness something? Did he do something awful? What does he want to forget, and how was that accomplished? Why did he believe he wouldn't survive, as indicated on the video messages to those closest to him?

While he may have become a willing participant in his disappearance, I still have trouble imagining that he would have initiated the chain of events on the day of his wedding to Beckett.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Walter. It was surprising they spent so much of the episode to Castle trying to find answers. The episode did remind me of a Star Trek TNG episode where the crew accidentally encounter a race of beings who valued their privacy and to avoid destruction, the crew convinces the aliens that they can erase all evidence they ever met and can erase their memory of them. But it fails and they can not resist the challenge of the mystery to figure out what happened. Only Data knew the truth and did his best to withhold the information from the captain. Maybe the answer to the mystery will linger a while like Beckett's long term effort to find the killer of her mother.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Walter Kittel said:
While he may have become a willing participant in his disappearance, I still have trouble imagining that he would have initiated the chain of events on the day of his wedding to Beckett.

- Walter.
I seriously doubt that he initiated the chain of events; rather, he was caught up in them on his wedding day and then, at some point, he decided to participate and then later, asked for his memory to be wiped.

I guess I'm fine if they make this their long-term mystery (ala Beckett's mom's murder) as long as they don't keep dragging out their engagement. It still seems forced.

I bet CBS enjoyed having one of their shows mentioned in an ABC dramedy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was still bothered that Beckett admitted that she still has trust issues. Obviously, the man is being as honest as he can, so I have a real problem with her grudging support for him instead of her really being more empathetic.

I did enjoy seeing the return of Castle: man-child.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm liking things so far this season. Interesting twist to the series, not just following the standard formula so many shows do.

The male/female leads eventually fall in love after all the will they/won't they teasing through the years like Bones, Grey's Anatomy and others.This is an enjoyable and unexpected turnaround with their relationship.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The first murder victim in tonight's episode bore a strong resemblance to Beckett. Sort of surprised that none of the police commented upon that during the investigation. When tonight's episode was previewed last week, based on a few glimpses I thought for certain that Beckett was sending Castle a selfie of herself in shorts and a tank top since the topic was social media. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part. :)

Spoilers for the preview for November 10th...

Looks like the wedding is back on. It could be a mis-direct but I don't think that is the case.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't think they'd have the nerve not to go through the wedding for a second time in two seasons. No, it's on.

I really liked this week's very disturbing and rather mournful episode.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
On the elementary school episode, did anyone else think that they gave us a hint about Castle's secret.

Castle was saying that if a kid sees something tragic that they would write it down.

Does anyone else think that the reason why Castle became a writer is that he saw something tragic as a kid?
Which was the one thing he has never told anyone except that one guy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Castle was saying that if a kid sees something tragic that they would write it down.
I didn't make the connection, but it certainly could be a hint as to what happened when Castle was eleven.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That was a pretty good episode, The Times of Our Lives, a good take on Its A Wonderful Life. Though it was pretty clear to me it was all a dream, they did a good job to make you think it wasn't. They finally got married.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the peek at an alternate version of Castle's world. The idea that Castle and Alexis wouldn't be as close felt strained, but the rest of it worked pretty well. Esposito has kind of been on Castle's case this year, and this was a good opportunity for that aggression to play out in a way that felt appropriate to the script. I thought it was good choice for Castle to show some restraint when Beckett discussed her inability to solver her mother's homicide. I always like the episodes where the audience's viewpoint is skewed in some way and this was another solid entry in that category.

Now that they are married, this will give the show some new material to explore; next week is the Wild West themed honeymoon.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A couple of other thoughts...

Interesting choice to make Martha successful and Richard less so.

Castle's book Finite Laughter was obviously a reference to David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. I am uncertain if the show's creative talent is a fan of the book or not. On the one hand they reference it and on the other hand Castle expresses distaste for the novel. Perhaps the fact that it deals with a future, alternate version of our world, and is instantly recognizable is all there was to the selection. (?)

I tend to obsess over book references in fictional works - the number of literary works in Lost was a source of endless speculation for me.

While I wouldn't suggest it was 'real' the show does kind of mess with your head - How could Castle see the main villain in the alternate world if he had not met him in our prime world until he was arrested, after Castle woke up / returned? The show's writers do a pretty good job of planting just a seed of doubt in the viewer's mind.

- Walter.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Walter Kittel said:
While I wouldn't suggest it was 'real' the show does kind of mess with your head - How could Castle see the main villain in the alternate world if he had not met him in our prime world until he was arrested, after Castle woke up / returned? The show's writers do a pretty good job of planting just a seed of doubt in the viewer's mind.
Actually, we did see the 'villain' on the sign when Beckett and Castle entered the warehouse in the beginning. Its possible that Castle saw the same sign (with the Lang's name and occupation clearly written).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just another quick thought, the whole situation in the coal plant seemed so unrealistic and I know no TV show is ever going to be 100% realistic. It would seem that Beckett would never let a civilian, and in this case her fiancée into danger. That applies to the whole series. Of course then the set up wouldn't have happened. I can't help thinking that every time they do this. Regarding the coal burning plant, this series is filmed in Los Angeles ( I think) , so I couldn't help but wonder if the smoke stacks were added later. It was well done! I was watching the last half of the episode on a small bedroom display. At the end, I couldn't see what Castle placed on his chest when he was dancing with Kate. Was that the Mayan artifact? Perhaps he was hoping his reality would stay with Kate. The whole wedding sequence was so surreal with the sparse sets and moody lighting, so it didn't even feel real. I suppose that was the point. It was well done

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Actually, we did see the 'villain' on the sign when Beckett and Castle entered the warehouse in the beginning. Its possible that Castle saw the same sign (with the Lang's name and occupation clearly written).
I missed that or didn't tie it back into the reveal. Thanks.

At the end, I couldn't see what Castle placed on his chest when he was dancing with Kate. Was that the Mayan artifact?
If I'm understanding the question correctly, Castle started a song on his phone (when Beckett commented there was no music for dancing), and then placed the phone in his jacket's chest pocket before dancing with Beckett while the soundtrack transitioned from a 'phone' version of the song to a fuller version.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found the wedding wistful and quite beautiful and amazing that it was more potentially effective than if it had been the ultra-lavish affair planned for last season.

I enjoyed this alternate reality tale very much: among the most entertaining of this season's episodes for me.

Yes, it is filmed in L.A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks