What's new

USA Blu-ray Player that converts 50Hz 25fps Blu-rays to 60Hz for USA HDTV (1 Viewer)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Maybe this has been answered, but as I have some 50Hz 1080i 25fps Blu-rays, will the Samsung BD-F7500/ZA convert them to 60Hz for playback on HDTV? My Samsung HDTV will not do the conversion itself.

I'm asking because I am interested in this player for that reason, plus it has 7.1 analog audio outs & 3D.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I don't know about the Samsung, but the Oppo will. It's about $500. And there is a region mod kit that's about $50.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
500 dollars is a bit more than I want to spend. Thanks for your answer but I'm really interested in the Samsung model above.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Google "region free blu-ray player". You'll find dealers that specialize in these. There are threads here in this forum on it too.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Thanks, but it's not Region Free that I'm looking to find. The Blu-ray's that I have are Region Free, it's just that they are encoded at 50Hz 25fps. A friend of mine has a cheap player that converts 50Hz Blu-rays to 60Hz output so that they play on my USA HDTV.

I'm interested in the Samsung BD-F7500/ZA because it has 3D, 7.1 analog audio outs, $199.

I understand that most Samsung Players do convert 50Hz to 60Hz for HDTV's in the North American market, but I'm wanting to make sure that this one does before considering a purchase.

Then I can give my old Panasonic Player to my son (as it seems that almost no Panasonic Blu-ray player in the USA will do this 50Hz to 60Hz conversion for European Region Free Blu-rays that contain 25fps/1080i/50Hz material).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Samsung, Sharp, LG and OPPO are almost universal 50>60 supportive.Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba typically are not.But...Check 220 and Bombay. They probably have a multi region of that BD player. In the specs it will list it. A region mod does not mean a BD player automatically plays 50>60. It means...it will still play them at 50.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
schan1269,

I had checked 220, and thanks for the referral to Bombay. They do not seem to have that model either.

But, you would feel that the Samsung BD-F7500/ZA would play 50Hz/1080i and convert the signal to 60Hz for my Samsung HDTV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, found your question at B-R.com as well.What Samsung do not do is PAL (576) to 1080.It is a crapshoot (with a mostly "yes") that they convert 1080i50 to 1080i60.That is the big reason LG players are so much less expensive* (region modded). Samsung, even with a region mod, can't do PAL >NTSC.*You'd think they cost more. According to a friend in the know, outside "the bargain bin Orei/Seiki"...LG has 40% of the worldwide region-modded to itself.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
schan1269,
So, most modified all-Region Samsung Blu-ray players cannot do PAL to NTSC?
Although that was not part of what I was looking for, it is interesting to know if that is correct.

The Blu-rays that I have been given are Region Free, and I'm not really looking for an all Regions Player or a PAL to NTSC player,
but it is good to know.

But, now you have me thinking that I should see if LG makes an affordable 3D/7.1 analog audio outs Blu-ray Player that plays and converts Region Free 50Hz/25fps/1080i to 60Hz for my USA owned HDTV.

You seem to understand this better than anyone else I have talked to.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The issue here is the 7.1 outputs.50>60 and 7.1...Pioneer and Oppo. Maybe a few Yamaha.The fact Samsung still makes one that way is weird...considering they didn't include PAL conversion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LG does not have a 7.1 analog out player.By the way...extras content on those region free discs...if not HD...are PAL.If the opening menu is PAL...the disc may not load. That is why on the forums (websites as well) that is always the first question...NTSC to PAL (for those over there) and PAL to NTSC.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I've now purchased the BD-F7500 and pleased that it does convert 25fps/50Hz/1080i to 60Hz. Makes me happy and this machine loads discs fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks