What's new

THE SIGNAL (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Very good low budget SCI-FI movie starring Larry Fishburne and Brenton Thwaites. Brenton, his girl friend and a male friend take an unexpected departure from their cross-country trip when they look for a mysterious hacker who breaks into the MIT Network. Suspenseful, very good story like "Under The Skin" leaves a lot to your imagination. There are no great special affects most of the movie takes place in what looks like an isolation ward.

The video and are excellent.

Signal.jpg
post-268687-0-14678800-1411847412.jpg

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I did a blind purchase on this title based on the genre, the premise and Laurence Fishburne's participation. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the film and I look forward to experiencing it soon myself.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Saw this. Thought it was pretty incredible.

Would love to discuss it and find out what the hell happened in this film.

Anyone have answers?

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Ron I did want to say much more in my review but I was worried about giving out an spoilers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would love to discuss this with you via spoilers if you want...

...because quite frankly, an amazing movie but it didn't make sense at some points
including the end.

You have the answers?

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Ron I am not sure what your questions are but here are my thoughts. Even though life on another planet has not yet been discovered we are pretty confident it does exist. If they are able to travel to earth then they are more advanced than us in a scientific way. But how do you overcome disease if you have never been faced with the type of disease we have on earth? After all it was disease that conquered the Incas, Aztec and Maya. (Because humans live in proximity with animals and insects we probably have more types of disease than any other planet)

Okay so the aliens abduct 3 humans by drawing them to a remote location posing as an anonymous hacker. One of the humans is a female and the other two males while one has some challenges he walks with the aid of crutches. The humans are drugged and awake inside the alien space craft. They don't know this they believe they are in a isolation ward of a medical facility.

This is where the story drifts. We know the aliens are experimenting on all three we can see the changes to the males. Not certain what they were examining with the female it would have to be her reproductive organs. The question is why are the aliens here what is their purpose? What is their goal?

Here is what we know. 1. The aliens are part human, part machine. 2. The aliens are deathly afraid of infectious disease. 3. They have made themselves to look like humans so as not to create a distraction. They are very aware of our computer systems showing their ability to hack into MIT's Network Computer.

Ron what are your thoughts?

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I watched it and didn't care for it too much. It was ambitious and had an interesting narrative approach, but I don't think they quite pulled it off.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Mikey1969 said:
I watched it and didn't care for it too much. It was ambitious and had an interesting narrative approach, but I don't think they quite pulled it off.
I liked it, even though it was almost a low-budget remake of DARK CITY. By the time Jonah was uttering "It's all the same", (echoing the spiral/circular of DC), I wondered how it might end. Turnes out it had the same surprise revelation at the end. Of course with DARK CITY, they pretty much explained everything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ernest,

Been a few months since I watched this so I am going to be generalizing.

Okay, here we go....

The story is fantastic. This is what I gathered...

Strange signal from NOMAD sent to group of teens. They investigate. They are attacked by an alien.

The kids end up in a secret facility. Emphasis is put on not spreading disease.

Now here is where things get confusing...

Our main character wakes up and discovers that his leg is now mechanical. How did that happen? Was
that something that the science team installed? Was that a result of the disease?

And what about this?

In the end, we find out that DAMON is mechanical. How did that happen? Was he also affected by the
disease? Was he an alien?

Just not very clear about what happened in this film. And it's not just me -- I did a Google search
for answers and found others just as confused.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Ron the young man had some type of physical handicap because he was walking with crutches. I don't recall if it was mentioned what his physical problem was caused by polio, nerve damage? Okay the aliens replaced is damaged legs with mechanical ones allowing to walk normal run as fast as a cheetah. They don't tell us why the aliens replaced his legs it has to be part of their experimenting with humans.

Damon is human with mechanical parts to extend his life. The aliens have discovered how to replace human organs with mechanical ones. We know the aliens are human in nature because they are deathly afraid of disease.

If I remember correctly most if not all the aliens that came in contact with the humans when they escaped were killed. You ask why? Because they were contaminated and would spread disease they had to be killed.

It wasn't clear to me why the aliens replaced the legs on one male and the hands on the other. In each case the new body parts gave them super strength in their legs and hands. The woman was in a coma because the aliens were examining her most likely her reproductive organs.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm going to jump in here because I'm putting a review of this movie up this weekend, and I spent some time trying to deal with it. I was not a fan of this movie, to be honest. There's an interesting idea in there somewhere but wow, did it not work out.

Nic has muscular dystrophy, but he has a fairly strong will to live. The alien intelligence manifested in Damon/Nomad supervises experiments on all three of their new captives. Nic is given mechanical legs, Jonah gets mechanical arms, and Haley has something placed into her spinal cord - we never see what. The filmmakers indicate in their commentary that she may have some kind of ESP as a result. Damon/Nomad is an AI construct in the form of a human. He and his team all wear the HAZMAT suits to mask the fact that they are not human at all. When he takes off the helmet at the end, Damon/Nomad reveals the truth.

At the end of their commentary, the filmmakers say that the whole idea of the movie was to tell the story of someone who had been abducted by aliens but didn't even know it. This also explains the bizarre nature of the other humans Nic encounters in the spacecraft. They've clearly gone batty after a long time there.

In the end, I really did not see the point of having spent the time to watch the movie.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Excellent response Kevin you are more correct than I was. I just saw the movie differently always believing and still do if an alien race came to earth there biggest conquest would be infectious disease. To me there always was a lot more to "War of the Worlds" than just a neat Sci-Fi story.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw this recently and enjoyed reading everyone's takes on it. Ernest, I think we had a completely different interpretation of the movie.
I didn't think it was about infectious disease at all. (I thought the quarantine was simply a way for the aliens to isolate our protagonists from the outside world and help with the illusion that they were still on Earth. And also as a way for the filmmakers to make Fishburne's character non-human on a low budget. I didn't think Fishburne was wearing a quarantine suit because his character was afraid of disease - I thought his character wore it to disguise that he wasn't human. I also didn't get that Fishburne was ever human - I thought he was supposed to be an alien intelligence that had, over the years, constructed a humanoid body for itself, not a human that started as a human and became a robot.)
But I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just didn't see those elements in the same way. I'd be curious to hear the filmmakers' thoughts on what their intentions were.Edit: I mean to say, I think it's pretty cool to have read Ernest's thoughts on the movie. I never would have thought to have gone there and I've been thinking about it all night and replaying the movie in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks