What's new

Forever (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Is anyone watching this show? Off to a fun start, but I find the lead characters observation skills a bit creepy with the Russian girl on the train, not to mention the entire occupation. Who is that guy who's after him? And what does he want to do with Henry? Or does he have the same ability?Not sure if this has enough to hold me. Even with jud Hersch's character. Might be just too creepy for me.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I knew he had to have the same ability. This might be worth watching after all. I'll give it one more go.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would explain or show what happens to his body when he dies....Does it just disappear? That being said. I guess he can't carry any wallet, money or credit cards. Do they vanish or just get left on the ground in a pile of empty clothes.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
todd s said:
I wish they would explain or show what happens to his body when he dies....Does it just disappear? That being said. I guess he can't carry any wallet, money or credit cards. Do they vanish or just get left on the ground in a pile of empty clothes.
That was my question as well and something I hope they explain soon. We know that he left his watch, but we didn't see a pile of clothes when the police were investigating. Since he arrives in the water with nothing, you'd think that he'd at least strategically place bags or containers of clothes and perhaps burner phones around the water so he's not having to stroll around, waiting to get picked up by the police.

Pretty light fare but fun and entertaining. Nice twist with the ending up in water, but they need to show what happens to his body. Hope they do 'darken' it up some - ala Highlander, and this could be a very nice show.....

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I was wondering that about the clothes too. I guess we will see some comedy fashion moments of him stealing unattended overcoats from people, and blankets from park carriage horses, clotheslines..etc.I won't be surprised if we never get an answer to how or why his immortality works. Especially if the show is cancelled. (I'd guess that the man he tried to save on the ship was magical.) I never thought there was a good explanation, for the why of what was going on, in HIGHLANDER.I was thinking that Judd Hirsch might be the baby in the World War II flashback, but he is too old, unless he's playing younger.The second episode is on tonight.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Bob Gu said:
I was wondering that about the clothes too. I guess we will see some comedy fashion moments of him stealing unattended overcoats from people, and blankets from park carriage horses, clotheslines..etc.I won't be surprised if we never get an answer to how or why his immortality works. Especially if the show is cancelled. (I'd guess that the man he tried to save on the ship was magical.) I never thought there was a good explanation, for the why of what was going on, in HIGHLANDER.I was thinking that Judd Hirsch might be the baby in the World War II flashback, but he is too old, unless he's playing younger.The second episode is on tonight.
You're probably right on the comedy fashion moments, but that would show a lapse in writing (he's intelligence/observant; no plan in place for ending up in the East River?!)

Actually I thought the mythos in Highlander (series, at least) was done pretty well. Sure, the origins was never explained, but I don't think it needed to be. And I don't necessarily think it needs to be explained here either. Just consistency, and a few curveballs here and there. Like Harry's Moriarity wakes up in dirt, or fire, or something like that.

I guess I didn't calculate out how old Judd Hirsch's character should be, but I think the implication was pretty clear that the baby grew up to be Harry's confidant.

Hopefully, I'll catch tonight's episode.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
If he left a pile of clothes, where would he leave them? Does he always reappear in the same spot in the same body of water? What if he moves to a different city? I guess all of this is too stupid to worry about if you've already bought into the fact that he does spring back to life. But I immediately wondered about it when the Judd Hirsch character knew where to pick him up when he died again.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We enjoyed it but here are my thoughts I posted on another board:

So at this point it's like the first few seasons of Castle in that female detective teams up with off-the-wall guy, they play cat and mouse and act like they don't really care too much about each other, he covers up his secret as much as possible, and the audience will keep wondering when Miss Detective will finally figure out docs secret. Detective station even has the gruff black woman chief who gets mad at woman detevices antics, but in the end appreciates that the detective is using her instincts etc. Pretty much a copy-cat of Castle for sure.But I guess I can see based on the rating, this one might not have legs for much longer.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
todd s said:
I've only seen a few minutes of the show. I thought he couldn't die. I didn't realize that he dies and resurrects. so, I guess he's like Hugh Jackman's character near the end of The Prestige? The wife thinks it looks interesting, but it doesn't look like one I'm gonna watch regularly, in spite of the presence of Alana de la Garza. :wub:

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
We saw ep 2 last night and liked it better than episode 1. I noticed the resemblance to Castle buy my wife thinks I'm stretching the similarity. It will stay on my list of things to watch/DVR. To me it was the worst new show on Monday (Gotham, Scorpion) although I'm not sure how either of the others can hold together for a season.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I missed yesterday's episode, my series recording didn't even pick it up.

Regardless, I am getting a "Mentalist" vibe from this show and think that might be it for me. Enjoy!

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Steve Armbrust said:
If he left a pile of clothes, where would he leave them? Does he always reappear in the same spot in the same body of water? What if he moves to a different city? I guess all of this is too stupid to worry about if you've already bought into the fact that he does spring back to life. But I immediately wondered about it when the Judd Hirsch character knew where to pick him up when he died again
In bags in places out of the way where people wouldn't notice them like somewhere in bridge girders, behind dumpsters, etc. We'll have to see if they answer your questions; my guess is that while it may be relatively the same (East River), he doesn't appear in exactly the same place. And if he were to die in another city, he'd reappear in a nearby body of water.

And it was nice to see that my initial question was answered - he (and his clothes) disappear. Now, I just hope they keep consistent on this and if he dies holding a clue, or has one in his pocket, that he consciously lets it go, or else it disappears too (which would be a nice twist in an episode).

I think a lot of people have noticed the similarity to Castle and I hope that they steer away from this for awhile; introduce other love interests for the characters so there's more to play off of.

The show looks like it will keep to its light, breezy nature. I continue to hope that through 'Adam' it will develop a darker, more serious undertone. But, it's a nice show to keep up with, in the meantime.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I will say I enjoyed episode 2 very much (I'll have to watch the pilot On Demand), but apart from the supernatural bit with the resurrections, he's just Sherlock Holmes in a different name. His powers of observation and deduction are identical to Holmes', and if he's going to go out regularly with the female detective, then we've got another Elementary on our hands.

The ratings haven't been supersonic, but I'm sure ABC is relieved that it wasn't the instant disasters that their other new Tuesday 10 p.m. shows were last season. This has room to grow, and I'll certainly continue watching.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've now seen all of episode 2. I thought it was pretty good, but do not feel compelled to watch it every week. My wife loved it.

I guess the main character is like Sherlock Holmes (as was The Mentalist and House, MD); but the twist is that he has not simply amassed a lot of knowledge, but calls on actual experience over decades (centuries) of experience.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Seems very similar to "The Mentalist". Not a bad thing. Would have been cooler if he was a bit older than 200yrs. Could have added more time periods to view in flashback.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wonder if he will have much interest in the female detective. He's already outlived the love of his life once and may not want to do it again. This could be case of "Becket pursuing Castle". I'd like to see them explore the "man out of his time" angle. He was born and had his character formed over 200 years ago. Yes he's had time to adapt to changing social mores and technology, but at his inner core he's a man of the past. I liked the show and will continue to watch it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Johnny Angell said:
I'd like to see them explore the "man out of his time" angle. He was born and had his character formed over 200 years ago. Yes he's had time to adapt to changing social mores and technology, but at his inner core he's a man of the past.
Sounds like the current version of Sleepy Hollow on Fox, though Ichabod has not adapted slowly to anything. He's been tossed headfirst into the 21st century.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Malcolm R said:
Sounds like the current version of Sleepy Hollow on Fox, though Ichabod has not adapted slowly to anything. He's been tossed headfirst into the 21st century.
SH, for me, was just a run of the mill boogy man of the week. Even if he was opposed to slavery, most abolitionists of the day still thought blacks were inferior. It would have been interesting to see him struggle with current mores. He could have grown in character. It would have been fascinating to watch him interact with his black partner. Don't watch it anymore.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
We enjoyed it but here are my thoughts I posted on another board:

So at this point it's like the first few seasons of Castle in that female detective teams up with off-the-wall guy, they play cat and mouse and act like they don't really care too much about each other, he covers up his secret as much as possible, and the audience will keep wondering when Miss Detective will finally figure out docs secret. Detective station even has the gruff black woman chief who gets mad at woman detevices antics, but in the end appreciates that the detective is using her instincts etc. Pretty much a copy-cat of Castle for sure.But I guess I can see based on the rating, this one might not have legs for much longer.
The Castle similarities are very noticeable as several people mentioned. But as you stated, might not have legs for much longer.

It's in a killer timeslot with heavy competition. I dropped Chicago Fire to watch this but I'll give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks