What's new

The Good Wife - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Network television's best character drama returns tonight. The fifth season ended with Diane considering jumping ship to Florrick/Agos after Canning stole control over Lockhart/Gardner out from under her, and Eli proposing that Alicia run for state's attorney.Note that due to the NFL, "The Good Wife" will start on or after 9:30 Eastern/8:30 Central. It will air at the normal 9:00 Pacific.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Superb drama. I was truly on edge during the entire show. It was SO upsetting and I felt really bad for Cary. The show seemed about 15 minutes long because I was so rapt with what was happening that time just flew.

I'm thinking after this encounter with the state's attorney, Alicia will change her mind and run.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with both of you. Somehow this show manages to keep fresh and keep surprising. I never feel like it's just going through the paces.I'm also thrilled that, after toiling away in a supporting role since Season 2, Matt Czuchry finally gets a storyline that puts Cary firmly in the foreground. He was absolutely terrific from the jarring moment of his arrest right through to the closing credits.Like "Hitting the Fan", the episode where Will and Diane discover Alicia and Cary's defection, this one was like a ball rolling down a hill, just gaining more and more momentum as the hour went on.On other notes: I continue to enjoy the way Lamont Bishop defies television's usual stereotypes for drug dealers and mob bosses. Even when he's explicitly threatening someone's life, he's a consumate professional. You can actually believe that this guy has successfully operated a large scale business enterprise while evading the authorities with his less than above-board dealings. I was also really happy to see Sarah Steele reappear as Eli's daughter Marissa. I'd enjoyed her previous appearances on the show, but particularly enjoyed her appearance here as a sort of Greek chorus for the governor's office. I particularly love the way you totally believe the father/daughter relationship between her and Eli, which is especially surprising because Eli's the sort of character you can't imagine having any children. Hopefully they find a job for her in the governor's office and add her to the show's top shelf stable of excellent recurring characters.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This season marks the first time, for me, that The Good Wife has earned a permanent recording slot on my DVR.

I watched none of seasons 1-4 and then got hooked watching the promos for various episodes of season 5 which would air during the preceding CBS show, The Amazing Race. It also didn't hurt that I would end up recording much of the The Good Wife last year to make sure I didn't miss the end of a likely time-shifted TAR (due to NFL games running long).

So I ended up seeing nearly all of season five and was astonished at the high quality of the program.

It had been totally off my radar but through some serendipitous happenstances is now very much front and center for me.

So, I'm late to the party...but happy to have finally gotten the invitation nonetheless.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Welcome to the best show on television! Really, unless the writing takes a deep nosedive, I don't think you'll be at all sorry you're signing on to this one.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was completely surprised by this new drug plot and Cary actually still being in jail at the end of the episode. In most shows he would have been out on bail before the half hour mark.

It is a really good start for the season and I wonder if what happens in that plot will tip Alicia's decision into running for State's Attorney.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The interviews with Matt Czuchry that I read this morning suggested that this arrest will have wide reaching implications with many characters and stories in many upcoming episodes this season.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Another fine start to a season of The Good Wife - they have a lot to live up to after last season's ridiculous high quality throughout but you can already see several threads being laid that could be very interesting indeed. It's a testament to the great characters on this show that Will's absence, whilst a massive part of the last few episodes of Season 5, is not going to matter at all, great though he was.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One cool thing about the episode titles is that they follow a pattern consistent with the Kings' seven-year plan for the show:Season One: One word episode titlesSeason Two: Two word episode titlesSeason Three: Three word episode titlesSeason Four: Four word episode titlesSeason Five: Three word episode titlesSeason Six: Two word episode titlesPresumably, if the show makes it to next season, Season Seven will be be back to one word episode titles.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I shouldn't be -- it's old hat now -- but I'm always amazed at the restraint of The Good Wife. It turns the limitations of broadcast TV into strenghts. There was no nudity, only the suggestion of nudity. There was no violence, only a quick motion and the flow of blood on a hand. And by showing so little, it elicits stronger reactions from me than shows that are more explicit.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Delighted to see Alicia make mincemeat of that lawyer who hadn't hired her, and doing it while all this chaos was swirling around her. Stoked to see Cary liberated, and excited by the addition of these new lawyers.I will be very surprised if Alicia doesn't end up running.Never a dull moment on this show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Still firing on all cylinders. The Lemond Bishop stuff continues to fascinate me. The contrast between the slickness of Diane's exit from the firm, with a lot of major players in tow, and Alicia and Cary's frantic exit with the fourth years. The irony of Deena Lampard bristling at being referred to as Mrs. Gross rather than Ms. Lampard while deferring reflexively to male authority. Kalinda doing what Kalinda does best. Robyn as the public face of Florrick/Agos. An immpecably dressed and groomed Taye Diggs stepping foot into an out-of-control construction zone. Gunter.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Even without Will this remains the best scripted drama on TV. It's superb in all areas: acting, directing, writing, editing, scoring, you name it. Never thought I would say, for three years running, The Good Wife remains my favorite TV show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Again, wow!

Cary did not want Dianne coming into F/A, for fear that just her presence would push them into becoming L/G. But not only does Dianne come in as partner, but her moist recently hand-picked chosen-one and his entire entourage. F/A just became one-third L/G in a single event. In which Cary got railroaded, since the decision was made with him on the prison phone.

With the future presumably being Alicia running for State AG, that means the firm likely becomes A/L. So Cary just ate what's possibly s**t sandwich of a new 50% partner and her half of the first.

And because Diane's handling of her departure was hamfisted (especially from hand she engaged with Cary's case), Canning knows what was developing and has been working to retain her clients. I don't think that will be for nothing. Diane's entrance to F/A will not bring the windfall it was supposed to.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Carey did not want Dianne coming into F/A, for fear that just her presence would push them into becoming L/G. But not only does Dianne come in as partner, but her moist recently hand-picked chosen-one and his entire entourage. F/A just became one-third L/G in a single event. In which Carey got railroaded, since the decision was made with him on the prison phone.
What I really loved about how this development is how Cary handled it. (Carey with an "e" is the other Cary) He was livid about it in the finale, and at the start of the season premiere. He votes against it when they hold the vote. But once he loses the vote, he accepts it as the new situation on the ground and moves forward. He doesn't punish Alicia for it, he looks ahead and makes the best of it.
With the future presumably being Alicia running for State AG, that means the firm likely becomes A/L. So Carey just ate what's possibly s**t sandwich of a new 50% partner and her half of the first.
One quirk in Illinois state election law is that Alicia wouldn't actually have to resign from the firm to run for State's Attorney. If she does hop into the race, she might want to in order to give it her full attention. But she wouldn't have to and, given her financial situation, might not be able to afford to. So there's a good chance the firm would only become Agos & Lockhart if Alicia actually wins.
And because Diane's handling of her departure was hamfisted (especially from hand she engaged with Carey's case), Canning knows what was developing and has been working to retain her clients. I don't think that will be for nothing. Diane's entrance to F/A will not bring the windfall it was supposed to.
Her departure was by no means flawless, which is only realistic, but it was a lot better handled than Alicia and Cary's departure. And while the whole situation with Cary undoubtedly cost Diane a significant percentage of her clients, I think it's more than made up for by the number of other Lockhart/Gardner equity partners that followed Taye Diggs's character's lead and jumped ship with her.And, while Florrick, Agos & Lockhart will have to explain Cary's incarceration and pending trial, Gardner & Channing will have to explain why the firm just experienced two mass exoduses in less than a year's time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another episode that pieces together four fascinating plots (Richard Thomas-Robert Joy arbitration, Cary's bail trial, Linda Lavin's interviews, and Alicia's indecision about running) all riveting and honestly didn't know how any of them would wrap up) and offering Linda Lavin a particularly great guest star role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks