What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Macbeth (1971) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Roman Polanski's Macbeth is one of my favorite of his works.

I've seen it several times -- never in a pristine print, and have been waiting for this one to arrive from Criterion.

Produced from original camera negative and other original elements, the resultant imagery is superb, beyond reproach, and a testament to the extraordinary work of cinematographer Gilbert Taylor (who also photographed Repulsion).

In other words, typical work from Mr. Crisp and Columbia.

Color is unlike I've ever seen it before, with a depth that had me smiling from frame one.  Densities, black levels, grain structure, shadow detail -- all dead on.

Macbeth is a film that never really received proper distribution.  A major extra on this disc, and worth alone the price of admission, is a new documentary - Toil and Trouble: Making "Macbeth," from Criterion producer Karen Stetler and associates.

Now is your chance to finally see this magnificent film.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
If I could only have one film this year get this kind of treatment, it would be this one.

Yours and Matt Hough's review of the quality of this Criterion release have made me so very very excited.

My order cannot get here soon enough.

Thanks!

Robert Harris said:
Roman Polanski's Macbeth is one of my favorite of his works.

I've seen it several times -- never in a pristine print, and have been waiting for this one to arrive from Criterion.

Produced from original camera negative and other original elements, the resultant imagery is superb, beyond reproach, and a testament to the extraordinary work of cinematographer Gilbert Taylor (who also photographed Repulsion).

In other words, typical work from Mr. Crisp and Columbia.

Color is unlike I've ever seen it before, with a depth that had me smiling from frame one. Densities, black levels, grain structure, shadow detail -- all dead on.

Macbeth is a film that never really received proper distribution. A major extra on this disc, and worth alone the price of admission, is a new documentary - Toil and Trouble: Making "Macbeth," from Criterion producer Karen Stetler and associates.

Now is your chance to finally see this magnificent film.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Fabulous version of MACBETH which I saw theatrically on first release. As far as I recall the film had a standard, wide release in the UK. Pleased to learn that it looks so good on this disc.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reed Grele said:
Wouldst that Criterion maketh haste and giveth the Fearless Vampire Killers a similar treatment.
It's available from France, Via Warner, not that impressed by the quality, hopefully any USA release would be better, of course the subtitles are forced, as usual, but if you have the right software then there are ways to remove them.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Many years ago, in my pre-high school days (about age 11 or 12), I had an assignment in school to view a Shakespeare production of my choice and write about it. I believe I was ill, or for whatever reason, my babysitter was charged with retrieving any filmed Shakespeare production she could from the video store. She returned with this, claiming it was all they had. As the titles appeared, I noted "Playboy Productions", and assumed that I was, somehow, in for a "good time" with this film, Macbeth or no. My enthusiasm waned when the severed arm was placed into the ground. I ended up writing my assignment about how physically and mentally disturbed I felt from viewing the film.

I can't remember what her comments were, but I like to think the teacher was absolutely appalled when she read it.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
FoxyMulder said:
It's available from France, Via Warner, not that impressed by the quality, hopefully any USA release would be better, of course the subtitles are forced, as usual, but if you have the right software then there are ways to remove them.
Out, damned spot! out, I say! (Macbeth Act V, Scene I)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Douglas R said:
Fabulous version of MACBETH which I saw theatrically on first release. As far as I recall the film had a standard, wide release in the UK. Pleased to learn that it looks so good on this disc.
Opened in the UK at the Plaza by then twinned, I think, and then moved to the Metropole. Saw it twice in both locations and thought it superb. Stayed away from the dvd but ordered the BD as soon as it was announced. Can't wait.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'll probably get it during a sale. I find the Welles film more entertaining, but I like this one too. Jon Finch was great in it. I think he was an under-rated Shakespearean actor. He was also good in several of the BBC Shakespeare plays from the late 70's and early 80's.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Can't wait for this. I didn't see it until it a few years after its release, and only at revival houses. I specifically remember my first time was at the Royal on Santa Monica, and I was blown away by it. I've had the DVD for years but I'm not sure I ever watched that. And who cares now! Thrilled to hear how great this is.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Ordered this, ERASERHEAD and THE INNOCENTS in the B&N buy 2 get one free sale. It came to about $78 with tax, which is about $26 each.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
My first year English prof showed us this, he said, in order to illustrate how not to film Shakespeare, arguing that the blood in fact was superfluous, given that there was more than enought blood in text, so to speak. I was convinced for about 10 seconds. He also managed to show us a 16mm, anamorphically squeezed print without putting the appropriate lens on the projector, so everything looked tall and thin, like the statues around the cathedral door at Chartes, that is, everything looked weird and medieval. I thought it was cool. Looking forward to adding this to my Bard Blu Ray collection.

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
My copy arrived today - very excited to see this. One of those films that for some reason has never been widely available on home video. Great to see Criterion rescuing it from the dustbin. Now how about TOM JONES?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks