What's new

Asking about wireless speakers for Zone use or surround sound. Start here. (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Been getting a bunch of questions asking for technology that, essentially, doesn't exist...anywhere.First we'll discuss what does exist. The single point wireless speaker. Typically being(but just one type) a self contained rechargeable speaker that you would use on the porch. Comes with a transmitter that connects to your source. Source being a phone, ipod, computer, stereo...whatever.A variation(technically not the same category) are the Bluetooth speakers that run on battery power(internal rechargeable or AAA, AA, C or D).Now up is what doesn't exist.Wireless home theater(yes, there is Sonos if you just have to have low fidelity for the sake of wireless audio transmission).There are wireless audio transmitters (Rocketfish RBAUX) that send audio from A to B. Problem is(and why "wireless home theater" doesn't exist) it must use line level.What is "line level"? In layman's terms...line level is the volume turned all the way up.To put this into perspective and answer why it doesn't work...and can't work...Remember point A and B?Point A is the source.Point B is the speaker.Point A has to send a LINE LEVEL signal to point B where the amplifier resides with the speaker.In home theater applications, A has to have control of volume.Yes there are HTiB that have wireless rear. Why? Cause it is low quality to start with. Sony stopped producing S-Air...cause it doesn't work. In short. Wireless home theater will never work...because it can't.Google "WiSA*" for the latest "attempt" that is essentially stillborn.Stop asking...please.And thank you.*Wisaassociation.org (for all the latest snooze on the subject)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As a side note about all these wireless subwoofers...Ask how many people bought one(or the accessories to create wireless) and gave up on it...and hooked it up with a subwoofer cable instead.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Great points (and I constantly get asked the same questions from people). Probably about 8 years back in an old place, I bought A/V something wireless thing to try (I figured when all was said and done if worse came to worse I'd add a receptacle in the garage attic and stick a camera under the garage soffit facing the front door and pipe it around which I ended up doing) that was supposed to be good. I tried it with a CD player in line of site up in the loft and about 30 feet away and the CD player sounded like a record player playing a record with a fair amount of wear. There are a ton of products with hollow plastic moulding that is paintable and easy to run wires into.

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
You can tell this was written a few years ago. Now, there IS wireless for home theater.
Wireless back speakers, and wireless subwoofers are popular. I, personally, like wires best.

Samuel1122

Auditioning
Real Name
Samuel
The fundamental preferred standpoint of a remote speaker framework is entirely self evident there are no wires interfacing the speakers to the sound framework, you can put your speakers anyplace inside transmission run and not need to stress over stumbling over or concealing wires that lead back to your sound framework...

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
You can tell this was written a few years ago. Now, there IS wireless for home theater.
Wireless back speakers, and wireless subwoofers are popular. I, personally, like wires best.

I have a relatively modest home theater system consisting of an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver and a set of Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 speakers. Wife wants to get rid of the speaker wires, so am looking or Wireless speaker suggestions. I realize I'll have to get a new receiver. Just got back from local BestBuy and they were showing me a Sonos solution. Trouble is, I don't really want a soundbar that combines Left-Right-Center. I'd like more separation for the front speakers. The guy said I'd have to use the soundbar for my application. Are there any other wireless HT speaker solutions out there? I only need 5.1. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the reply, Wayne. Trouble is, I have power outlets near all my present speakers, but it drives my wife crazy to have speaker wire snaking around the baseboards to get to the rears (and also to my fronts). In Phoenix, we don't have basements, so I can't go under like I did in Minnesota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks