What's new

Dolby Atmos Firmware Update for Pioneer's Elite SC Receivers Available (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DOLBY ATMOS FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR PIONEER ELITE SC RECEIVERS
AVAILABLE THIS MONTH

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. will be releasing a new firmware update for its high-end Elite® SC receivers by the end of September that will provide support for the new Dolby Atmos® technology in the home. With the firmware update, the SC-85, SC-87 and SC-89 9.2-channel audio video receivers will make the Dolby Atmos multi-dimensional sound experience a reality with their renowned Class D3 amplification technology, which can simultaneously deliver extremely high power output to all channels without loss in audio quality, and MCACC® Pro, an enhanced version of Pioneer’s acoustic calibration system. The firmware update will coincide with the Paramount Pictures Blu-ray Disc release of “Transformers: Age of Extinction” on September 30, the first title to feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Each SC Elite receiver model also incorporates advanced technologies and convenient features including HDMI® 2.0 (4K/60P/4:4:4), Roku Ready® Certified, HDBaseT™ (SC-89 only), multi-room and multi-source setup and playback configurations, ESS SABRE32 Ultra DACs™ (digital-to-analog converter), 192 kHz/32-bit audio scaler and iControlAV5 Application compatibility.

The Dolby Atmos-enabled Elite SC AV receivers when combined with Pioneer’s line of Andrew Jones designed Dolby Atmos-enabled Elite speakers produce exceptional sound quality that brings consumers deeper into the story with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth. Pioneer is the first manufacturer to make available both audio video receivers and a matching Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker system designed specifically for Dolby Atmos.

The Dolby Atmos firmware update will be available for download on the Pioneer website by the end of September- http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home.

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com. Its parent company, Pioneer Corporation, is a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and business markets.

PIONEER, ELITE, MCACC and the PIONEER and ELITE logos are registered trademarks of Pioneer Corporation.
Dolby and Dolby Atmos are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories
Blu-ray Disc and Blu-ray 3D are trademarks owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association.
HDBaseT is trademark of the HDBaseT Alliance.
Roku and Roku Ready are registered trademarks of Roku, Inc.
SABRE32 DAC is a registered trademark of ESS Technology, Inc.
HDMI, the HDMI logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I own a Marantz receiver myself and this post made me curious, were some of these Pioneer Models originally released before ATMOS and now with a firmware upgrade they can now handle Dolby atmos? It kind of gave me hope maybe some could be upgraded rather then having to buy a whole new receiver. I just bought mine last year.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
According to a discussion at CEDIA Denon/Marantz chose to not go the upgrade route so it doesn't appear that if anyone purchased a new Denon or Marantz receiver that you will be able to upgrade to Atmos like you would with a Pioneer receiver.

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 7.1 but it is to old for the upgrade. Even though the Denon and Marantz will not be offering upgrades I will be looking at there product once Atmos and hopefully DTS version is available. Onkyo/Integra will be offering Atmos models but there Atmos models but there reputation for having horrible customer service may keep me from getting an Onkyo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon and Marantz released their current product concurrent with Atmos being announced.Everyone else launched theirs before the announcement.Ergo, anything not a Denon/Marantz, needs an update.And this is CURRENT 2015 AVR. Not last years 2014 that is clearance.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Now Dolby atmos is revolutionary in that it uses object based format to place sound all around you, including over your head.
Brett Crockett, Dolby labs

Well not according my listening as I hear sounds below me I can sense that. I hear my cat below my ear level 60" down to his height level where he meows/taking to me.

As for changed the cinema :wacko: ? I ended up sticking my fingers over my ears at least more than 6 times (twice viewing) of STAR TREK INTO DEAFNESS at Empire 1. It was bloody too loud and unpleasant. The mixers must be stone deaf! There wasn't anything new I was hearing with atmos with overhead :rolleyes: when hearing Captain Kirk, voice being panned from Overhead right to Overhead left at the front row reminded me of ALIEN 3 in Dolby Stereo SR at UCI 25 years, when Mr. Aaron, makes a announcement on the PA system while Ripley and Clemens are in the medical room and the voice was sounding above overhead on the EV surrounds mounted to the ceiling. Normally the surrounds in other cinemas would be mounted on side wall and back wall, around time and long before that time as well.

I'd like to have heard below surround at the Empire with atmos something discretely different. I'd guess I'd keep my below surround beneath my seating wired up for what ever film will sound great with it as well matrix overhead, at least it hasn't cost me £800 hundred. It only cost £75.00 for two CP45 and that is even cheaper than my first PL £179.98 around 1990.

I'm not cyclical at Dolby labs, I like the formats over the past 37 years listening. Its, I can just see where this Atmos is leading too. In few years they might I hope they release discrete stereo below surround and 9 screen front arrays as I like to hear Fox Mulder in X-Files Movie 1998 weeing on my home cinema floor on centre below, not arcing it up 6 feet in the air sounding on the HF horns doesn't make sense? Even if Mulder, was turned upside down his weeing will still fall to the ground GRAVITY!

Dolby labs, haven't really given a great deal of thought and claiming its a 3d sound format. :rolleyes: is a load of baloney.

Within a few years most who spent £$900 to .1.5 grand or more will be stuck with lemon and may have to sell their AVR again.

As for myself I'd be waiting patiently for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks