What's new

Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE: November 4, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Marvel Studios has officially announced Doctor Strange as their second film in 2016 on July 8th.
image.jpg
This isn't too surprising, as Kevin Fiege has been talking about a potential Strange film for a while now and they name dropped Stephen Strange in The Winter Soldier. The movie will be directed by Scott Derrickson with a script by Jon Spaihts, and it's likely Christopher Young will handle the score. I never was very familiar with the character, only rarely coming across him in the stuff I've read. But I recently watched an animated Doctor Strange movie and I think the character has the potential to be really interesting.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
FYI...Stephen Strange :)Victor would be for Victor Von Doom. Maybe we will get a Triumph and Torment movie one day. Art design by Mike Mignola.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that they've hired a horror director for this one. Certainly would seem to speak to the direction they want to take this particular franchise.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Chuck Mayer said:
FYI...Stephen Strange :)Victor would be for Victor Von Doom. Maybe we will get a Triumph and Torment movie one day. Art design by Mike Mignola.
Oops! Your right of course!I'll fix that.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
JoeDoakes said:
From the title to this thread, I was hoping for the all mime version.
Ha! Yeah. Unlike screwing up his first name, I caught "Marcel" like 2 seconds after i posted the thread. Is there a good reason why users can't edit thread titles?As for casting, Joaquin Phoenix has been rumored as being up for the lead role. Word is that Marvel wanted to announce that and this release date at comic con in July, but they weren't able to finalize the deal before then. So no announcement.Joaquin or not, I suspect they'll be announcing something soon now that they've publicly announced the movie.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
Interesting that they've hired a horror director for this one. Certainly would seem to speak to the direction they want to take this particular franchise.
Kevin Fiege had this to say about hiring Derrickson:
"I would say you can certainly look at the past work of the filmmakers we hire as a bit of an indication for the tone of the movie, but not necessary everything," Feige said. "The Russos, who are well known for their sitcoms, there is nothing sitcom about 'The Winter Soldier!'"No, I wouldn’t say just because he has only done horror movies means that 'Doctor Strange' is going to be a horror movie," he continued. "It means he is a talented filmmaker who we think could add something unique and very fresh to the particular franchise. But there could be scary moments. There are scary moments in all our movies! There are some scary people that 'Strange' has to deal with, I will say."
So yeah, it seems like it won't be a straight out "horror" movie but it should be expected to have some horror-ish elements and a darker tone to the film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Seems like Derrickson is pretty excited about working on Doc Strange and actively sought out the job.
I think when you consider the work that I've done it makes sense that he'd be my favorite comic book character, at least in the Marvel universe. Probably the only comic character in that mainstream world that I'm suited to. I feel such an affinity for the character and the story and the ambition of those comics, especially the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko "Strange Tales" - I think those are my favorite of all of them. The entire history of the comics is extraordinary.
I wanted it really bad. More than any other project that I've gone after, I felt compelled to do everything in my power to get on that project. Genuinely felt like I was the right guy to do it.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Sean Bryan said:
I never was very familiar with the character, only rarely coming across him in the stuff I've read. But I recently watched an animated Doctor Strange movie and I think the character has the potential to be really interesting.
This is my only experience of Doctor Strange. I had heard rumours of a possible film and saw it in a local charity shop so I picked it up. I thought it was pretty good and I like that again it would make a different film to the others they have done.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
There was a live action tv movie pilot in the 70's as well. Unlike Spiderman or The Incredible Hulk, it wasn't picked up as a series.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Don't recognize the face--Are they going by the "Benedict Cumberbatch gets to be in everything" rule?
Sean Bryan said:
As for casting, Joaquin Phoenix has been rumored as being up for the lead role.
(No, no, Doctor Strange, that's just his name--
They're not actually suggesting he's a psychotic lunatic... :rolleyes: )

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah. Cumberbatch is definitely treading on the "we're seeing way too much of him" trail. It's gettin' close ta 'Batch Burnout. I'd rather see the role go to Joaquin Phoenix. I don't even particularly care for the guy, but IMO he'd make a great Doctor Strange.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Phoenix balked at the comittment of a multi-film contract, that's on him not on Marvel. I think Cumberbatch is great. He is fantastic in Sherlock. If the negotiations for this pan out I think he'll be a great Strange. Personally, I don't get the seeing him too much perspective. He's known for Sherlock (which is more of a Brittish phenomena) and he played Khan. And then the Wikileaks thing. Voicing Smaug doesn't really count. I wouldn't consier that even approaching overexposed. Regardless, I think he'd be good in this role.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I wasn't blaming Marvel for Phoenix. As for whether or not Cumberbatch is becoming overexposed, well, that's an entirely subjective issue.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There was a time I could not go 5 movies without seeing Cumberbatch in one of them: War Horse, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Star Trek 2, The Fifth Estate, 12 Years A Slave, Hobbit 2, and so on. I think what stands out about him to me were the ridiculous make-up jobs they put on him in his roles. Just weird for being weird sometimes. He took over the "Jude Law" over-exposed actor in Hollywood. :)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
TravisR said:
You only heard him in that one. :)
Out of the whole choice of what we got--leaving aside Sherlock, which he aces--I'd RATHER have seen the Batch as Strange, than as Khan or Smaug.
Tom Hiddleston would also do as well to start choosing roles carefully. (But Marvel's already used him.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks