What's new

I am done with reality tv. (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'll admit it. I was sucked in. And while I will still watch amazing race, I am dropping reality tv from my schedule. It is of absolutely no value whatsoever. I don't learn anything, it's not entertaining and there is so much time wasted before and after commercials with teasers and catch ups. I'm discovering awesome shows on netflix like homeland and suits (hey I'm Canadian and don't get hbo etc) and have been finding some really impressive content on youtube that I always come away learning something with entertainment value. TV content is generated by ratings so I urge you all to urge your friends to boycot reality tv starting immediately and perhaps eventually the networks will get the message. It will hard giving up my two favourites biggest loser and amazing race but I think it's something I don't need in my life right now. It's late. Goodnight.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I would never take I show I like and lump it in with all the dreck in its genre and then torch all of it. If you supported the good ones, maybe they'd make more of those and less of the crap.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I was done with "reality" TV long ago. My wife still watches some things on TLC but I just have to leave the room. I think as soon as a camera is turned on "reality" becomes a misnomer. I've heard people say that the participants get so accustomed to the camera that they forget it's there and act naturally, but I am hard pressed to believe that. And some of the reality stuff is just like watching a car accident as the misery/misfortune/ignorance of other people is used for entertainment.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I burned out on reality show singing competition shows about five years ago. The only other reality type shows that I've ever been remotely interested in are Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef. Those are entering despite pretty clearly being preplanned.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Carl Johnson said:
I burned out on reality show singing competition shows about five years ago. The only other reality type shows that I've ever been remotely interested in are Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef. Those are entering despite pretty clearly being preplanned.
Yeah, we do watch some of the cooking competition shows on Food Network which we enjoy (Great Food Truck Race, Chopped, etc). My wife still watches American Idol but it's really become a bore to me. I truly wish reality shows would go the way of the dodo, but they are relatively cheap to produce and focus on niche audiences for a lot of mostly niche networks.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
For the most part, I can ignore most of the reality dreck. The only times that I can't, is when some of the dreck continues to live on, at the expense of scripted programming.

The only one that I do follow, is The Amazing Race. I used to follow Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef, but lost interest in both.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We still watch a good deal of the "reality" stuff on TV...I don't forsee stopping it all together in our household.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've had a love / hate relationship with Survivor since its inception. Some years I'm drawn to it and other years I vow to never watch a show like it that essentially rewards duplicitous behavior. Lately, I've been staying away.

- Walter.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
"Reality" has crept everywhere now. Even the once good channels, like Animal Planet, are full of this dreck.

They runs "clip shows" and get reactions from hosts on other shows and D-list celebrities. Who cares?

But the worst is the false tension on reality shows. Perfect Example is that idiotic "Cat From Hell" show.

Someone has an uncontrollable cat, they crack the bedroom door open to peek on this "monster", scary dramatic music plays, cuts to commercial, show comes back, they recap the entire thing, scary music returns, then finally they start slowly opening the door expecting to see Catzilla and then..... nothing happens.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I still watch an occaisional show, Bar Wars, Hell's Kitchen, but I largely gave up on all that crap years ago. American idol? Always hated it. All those dumb SyFy "Ghost" shows? Crap. Survivor? Never even watched one show in all the time it's been on. I admit I have a weakness for Pawn Stars, but for the most part, I stay away from reality TV like I might contract the plague if I watch.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
I've had a love / hate relationship with Survivor since its inception. Some years I'm drawn to it and other years I vow to never watch a show like it that essentially rewards duplicitous behavior. Lately, I've been staying away.

- Walter.
For some reason I'm drawn to Survivor this season. I have the same love/hate relationship with it, but I'll give it one more try.

BB I'm done with. Watched this season, first time in 4-5 years so will finish it, but no more.Amazing Race is great, watch every season. Occasionally some very annoying contestants, like those ridiculous "twinnies" who apparently now have made it onto Survivor, but it's a very well done show, with real challenges, new locations, etc. The only one I'll keep on my schedule.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The now-standard formula of incessant previews and recaps bookending every commercial break has made even the good reality shows almost unwatchable. Seriously, it's like there's 20 minutes of actual content in each hour of reality programming.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Richard V said:

I still watch an occaisional show, Bar Wars, Hell's Kitchen, but I largely gave up on all that crap years ago. American idol? Always hated it. All those dumb SyFy "Ghost" shows? Crap. Survivor? Never even watched one show in all the time it's been on. I admit I have a weakness for Pawn Stars, but for the most part, I stay away from reality TV like I might contract the plague if I watch.
I will admit I used to get a kick out of the "ghost" shows. They always had some overweight kid who they said was "Tech Support" or something like that.....I think that meant he was taking some computer classes at the local community college. Something would "register" on their electronic gizmo and they'd take off running towards the "ghost". It was actually quite funny, like a live action "Scooby Doo" episode, but missing the guy in a mask. But the amusement didn't last long.....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
McPaul said:
... It is of absolutely no value whatsoever. I don't learn anything, it's not entertaining and there is so much time wasted before and after commercials with teasers and catch ups. I'm discovering awesome shows [everywhere]... and have been finding some really impressive content on youtube that I always come away learning something with entertainment value. TV content is generated by ratings so I urge you all to urge your friends to boycot [sports] tv starting immediately and perhaps eventually the networks will get the message.
Some minor edits, and I agree completely!(TiVo season pass modified, to account for Sunday night Football delays...grumble grumble...):D

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
hah yeah. I'm in Canada so not hip enough to get some of the awesome channels where the good shows are, as our tv is tiered and I don't want to pay a fortune for it just to get some crappy "HBO Canada" lookalike.

Survivor - the challenges are all the same, the characters are mostly all the same types, and even the cast is frequently recycled these days.
Big Brother - so many "game changers" that will change the course of the game forever! (oh noes!!) and same as above. I should time the length of time used in teasers and recaps used in this show.
Amazing Race - I find in it's early years it seemed to be a lot more about the scenery and history but these past few seasons have been all about the conflict which is generated from casting.
Amazing Race Canada - Same. Plus there are some parts of this country I have no interest in seeing. (Toronto?) and (anywhere that speaks french?) Plus the one off trips to Hong Kong and Paris were simply bizarre. You're amazing race! Go around the world already!!
Biggest Loser - I love the inspiration in this show and thought for me it would help in losing those last couple pounds. I'm still 204 as of this morning and would love to be 190. but early in this show there was a lot more fitness and nutrition tips. These days it is product placement and casting conflict.
Singing Competitions - Anything after American Idol is simply a ripoff using diluted talent, and inviting talent to perform is just a joke to me. Open tryouts please. And American Idol which I assume gets the best and brightest talent due to it's pedigree still can't get enough auto tune to clean up some of those vocals. I liked the few shows immediately after the auditions but lately they seem to be more about conflict than preparing for the next round.
SYTYCD - I actually like this summer how they had tips for short little moves. that helps, but it does nothing for me if it's not put together or clarify song choice. Some of the talent here are really good, but that's probably my ZERO exposure to anything dance. ever. lol
Utopia - Bomb. Nice idea though. and Where do they ever come up with these people?!!?
Hells Kitchen and cooking shows - I can not remember when the last time I've learned anything from a cooking show. Next!

That's about my reality experience in a nutshell. am I bitter? perhaps. I'm getting older. Maybe that's it?
Sorry for the rants.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Now that I think of it, there is one new reality show that's OK. I'm sure it would've been better if it'd come out 5 years ago, though. I forget the name, but it's basically a medieval high fantasy version of the "themed challenges" show. Obviously trying to soak up some of the popularity of Game of Thrones, but at least it's kind of entertaining if you like that kind of stuff.

I never saw an ad for it; just stumbled across it one evening. I think it might be on Sunday night.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Aaron, are you referring to The Quest? I'm not familiar with Game of Thrones, but it's a medieval reality show. I watched a few episodes of that too but just forgot to mention. I really liked the idea, but it wasn't a strong show. they tried to do too much at once between reality conflict and medieval fantasy, and that's where it failed. imo

The first episode was awesome, I must say, as I thought the concept had so much potential. But no.

It was on Thursdays' but the finale was last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks