What's new

Really obscure shows? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys,Some of us are fans of some really, really obscure programs. Most are one season shows, but how many are less than a full seasonTwo programs I've been searching/hoping for are the tv version of Foul Play and Detective in the House starring Judd Hirsch. Each had less than eight episodes and are barely mentioned in television sources such as tv.com and wikipedia. Their themes aren't even on youtube.com.C'mon guys I challenge you to mention shows even more lost.JamesThis is a challenge

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Way Out (1961) is somewhat obscure. But perhaps not to fans of this Board! :)

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
JamesSmith said:
Dear Guys,Some of us are fans of some really, really obscure programs. Most are one season shows, but how many are less than a full seasonTwo programs I've been searching/hoping for are the tv version of Foul Play and Detective in the House starring Judd Hirsch.C'mon guys I challenge you to mention shows even more lost.JamesThis is a challenge
Foul Play ran on TVLand back in the days when it actually had something worth watching. As for obscure shows, the list is endless especially if you go back to the early days of television. Maybe the challenge should be limited to a time span.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hagen (1980) with Chad Everett and Arthur Hill, I'd really like to see again. Some great people appeared on this short-lived crime show, would love for Fox' new archive program to give it a shot. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080227/epcast Star Everett's Medical Center for Warner's ditto is doing well for them. Other pretty rare shows in need of rediscovery; Nobody's Perfect (1980/Universal) with Ron Moody and Cassie Yates, King's Crossing (1982) with Linda Hamilton and Bradford Dillman, Style & Substance (1998), Second Chance (1987/Fox), Lottery! (1983) and Larry Cohen's crime show Griff (1973) with Lorne Greene.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would like to see some of the obscure spin offs of popular shows released. They are a 'side interest' to fans of the main show and would probably have decent sell through.

By example, the release of "Flo" from the series "Alice".

I would like to see:

'704 Hauser St ' from 'All In The Family/Archie Bunker's Place'
'Gloria' from 'Archie Bunker's Place'.
'Sanford' from 'Sanford and Son'
'Grady' from 'Sanford and Son'
'Phyllis" from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show'
'Dirty Sally' from 'Gunsmoke'

Shows not connected to anything that I would like to see:

'Jon Sable, Freelance'
'Human Target' (Rick Springfield series)
'Swords of Justice'

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I know of a show that I've never seen mentioned in this forum called "Working Stiffs" starring Jim Beluschi and Michael Keaton. I saw a rerun of it on a cable channel years ago. Nine episodes were filmed, but only four were broadcast. Now that's obscure!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
There's the 1977 revival of Laugh-In that's pretty rarely seen (some bits of it were "released" on a SelectaVision CED player demonstration disc), and featured amongst its cast Bill Rafferty and a pre-Mork & Mindy Robin Williams.

Oh, and No Soap, Radio from 1982 starring a pre-Police Academy Steve Guttenberg.

Both show didn't even make it to 13 weeks, at least on the air. No idea how many were 'in the can' for each.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Get a Life w/ Chriss Elliot..loved that show.

Better still I wish NBC would have picked up LOOKWELL starring Adam West (1991 pilot is all that aired-written by Conan Obrien (sp)). If you can find it, watch it, it's hilarious! Luckily I snagged a copy off of DTV years ago.

Looks like it's on YouTube.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
"Get a Life" *may* have been obscure, but it no longer has to be, as Shout! released the complete series on DVD in 2012 (at least here in the U.S.).

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Most of my remaining TV-on-US-Disc wants are fairly-obscure shows lasting a season or less:

T.H.E. Cat
Suspicion
Coronet Blue
Way Out
Great Ghost Tales
Bus Stop
The Westerner
The Dakotas
Blue Light
The Man Who Never Was
G.E. True
The Immortal
Longstreet
The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
World of Giants
Raumpatrouille Orion (a.k.a. Space Patrol Orion)
Diana
The Rogues
Q.E.D. (a.k.a. Mastermind)
Captain Nice
Darkroom

Other obscurities:

Stan Brock's Expedition: Danger
The KopyKats
Quinn Martin's Tales of the Unexpected
Johnny Cypher in Dimension Zero
International Festival of Animation with Jean Marsh

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
I second Darkroom. Would love to have that show in my collection. Ditto also to Working Stiffs, though I do remember at least some of the episodes made it to VHS. I'll add 1979's Cliffhangers to the mix as well. While not necessarily on the level of obscurity as many of the shows being discussed here, I'm still waiting for Lynch's On The Air to show up in the US--I assume it's a matter of complicated rights issues.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
How about:
Wojeck
Phoenix 5
Wandjiina Magic
Seaspray
Object Z
Counterstrike
Robbery/Homicide
Yellowthread Street

I could list a dozen obscure British shows witout even breaking a sweat but it hardly seems fair.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Ethan Riley said:
The Rousters, also starring Chad Everett, with Jim Varney. Fun show!
I remember the NBC promos for this show....since it was shown Saturday's at 9pm, the catch-phrase was Jim Varney saying "We're gonna sink The Love Boat". Worked out quite differently, though.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
City of Angels (Wayne Rogers playing a '40's PI), aired on NBC one season in 1976)

Caribe (Stacy Keach as a member of the fictional Caribbean Force, a highly mobile unit of the Miami Police Department which combat crime in Miami and wherever American interests were involved in the Caribbean), aired 13 episodes on ABC in 1975.

Makin' It (David Naughton as a disco dancer), 1979, attempting to cash-in on the Saturday Night Fever craze. Lasted 9 episodes on CBS.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Bringing Up Buddy, starring Frank Aletter, Enid Markey, and Dorio Merande, and Ichabod and Me, starring Robert Sterling, George Chandler, and Christine White. Both series were produced by Joe Connely and Bob Mosher, who brought us Leave It To Beaver from that same era of the early 1960s.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The one season and less titles of interest to me would be:Project UFO (technically two seasons but they were really two half-seasons)Operation Petticoat (I don't count it's second season of five-six episodes with a revamped cast/format)Lottery (1983 reworking of "The Millionaire")I'd certainly upgrade "Law And Harry McGraw" from my R4 set to a R1 release if it became available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks