What's new

Problem With NEW DVD Players... (1 Viewer)

Richard Meadows

Auditioning
I've been running into this with several recently purchased DVD players. Even though they state they will play DVD+R discs (such as those put out by Warner Archives) they freeze, skip or don't even load.

I know the problem isn't the discs because they play flawlessly on my other older (5 years old) DVD players. On DVDs I create I use Taiyo Yuden / JVC media so the issue isn't low quality media.

However in the last few months I've purchased three DVD players that were complete junk.

Philips DVP3650K All Multi Region Code Zone Free DVD Player

Pioneer DV-420V-K Multi-Format 1080p Upscaling DVD Player

and one other one I can't remember. Tried to buy a decent quality player but they all have 80% failure rates.

Will a Blu Ray player read and play DVDs better? What about a PS3?

About half of my DVDs are DVD+Rs (Taiyo Yuden / JVC) and I'm going nuts trying to find something that will play them as well as my players that are 5 years old.

I need to buy two of them and I just can't handle buying another piece of junk.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a Pio 420. I wouldn't call it junk...As for DVD-R...not sure what to tell you. Not bought a MOD disc. Almost everything MOD has a pressed PAL available somewhere.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Philips and Pioneer used to be state of the art. Not so much any more. Just get an inexpensive Sony blu-ray player. It will play anything you put into it.

P

patjo

I started recording to +R in 2002. Changed to -R in 2004. By 2007 recorder used both so I have hundreds of discs of both formats.
I have about a dozen Warner Archive discs but only one Universal Vault title.
Despite both stating that PC drives and recorders may not play them I've not had single glitch ever whether it be on the PC or any of my players which includes the PS3.
I've used mainly Panasonic recorders , then a Panasonic Bluray player now a Bluray recorder and none have missed a bit with any MOD titles or dvd-/+r.

Personally Philips rate as rubbish in my book . They're great with ideas but manufacturing is not their strong suit. Certainly here in the UK , apart from an early mobile phone every Philips product I've ever purchased from a shaver to washing machine to dvd recorder ended up being faulty.
My first dvd recorder was Philips and after the problems I ( and every other buyer of that recorder had) Philips is a brand I will never buy again.

Pioneer on the other hand always used to mean quality but here in the UK they pulled out of dvd recorders several years back and since then I've not seen any players from Pioneer . I had a Pioneer amp though for several years - it was great

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks